Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    It was a good ep. I liked Herschel's one-man stand on the farm.

Next season will be interesting and highly anticipating. I might have to buy the boxed sets of 1 and 2 this summer.

OK, spoilers are open season!

The season ending was terrific!

I'm sorry to see Shane die but the way he went out - in the confrontation with Rick - was awesome. And it made Rick man-up! (Carl too)

Now they can't stay out in the open like that. It's going to get interesting.

The helicopter suggests there are humans operating somewhere. I've heard chatter about the prison and "the Governor" (of Georgia?) holed up in there running a dictatorship? Then Rick comes knocking.

Meanwhile, Michonne: her zombies on chains have slack in their lines. Why don't they come at her? I don't get that. Zombies don't know that she cut off their arms and their lower jaws. I guess she's using them as trackers to find survivors? What other use could they be? Though I've also heard the zombies she keeps leashed are her brother and boyfriend's corpses. Still, they wouldn't know her any longer. Zombies don't know anything - like how to climb a fence at Herchel's.

That brings up a point: Herschel will now be a new member of the cast. I heard on Talking Dead that he was supposed to die, but with Dale leaving the show and audiences liking Herschel - the actor suddenly found himself with a longer term job. That's good. I like his character. I didn't always agree with the old Christian Herschel, but the new one is more representative of a man who recognizes reality and he's not so whiny about it the way Dale was.

Andrea having been trained by Shane and now possibly Michonne will become deadly! Just something about Laurie Holden though - she always looks like she's smiling and a hardened Linda Hamilton look from Terminator would seem to be more appropriate for how I imagine the character. Remember the smiling Princess Leia on the Speederbike 12"? I didn't even buy that on clearance for $12.

Now - so they're all infected. Could this be a government weapon gone wrong or a fall-out from a terrorist attack? It's the perfect weapon: the dead rise and kill the living, and keeps killing them until the living survivors die and become the walking dead as well. Maybe this was some kind of extreme population control measure and the people in helicopters know all about it?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    The helicopter suggests there are humans operating somewhere. I've heard chatter about the prison and "the Governor" (of Georgia?) holed up in there running a dictatorship? Then Rick comes knocking.
    Of everything in that ep, the helicopter intrigued me the most. A die-hard WD comic fan told me the it was a news chopper and that it crashes at the prison. We'll have to wait and see if that's still the case this fall.

It seems that something snapped in Rick's head when he confessed to killing Shane and his wife pushed him away at the end of the episode. Even though she was the one who originally warned him of what Shane was really capable of. I wonder if Rick now thinks that she was really in love with Shane.

Of the current group, I think I might relate with Herschel the most. However, I didn't like his comment about Christ promising the resurrection of the dead and somehow equating that with the zombie invasion. I think the writers put that in because they thought it would be funny, but it's not something a true Christian would say. I do like the idea of Herschel taking Dale's place as the moral center of the group.

It's just too bad that we have to wait so long to see what happens next.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Of the current group, I think I might relate with Herschel the most. However, I didn't like his comment about Christ promising the resurrection of the dead and somehow equating that with the zombie invasion. I think the writers put that in because they thought it would be funny, but it's not something a true Christian would say. I do like the idea of Herschel taking Dale's place as the moral center of the group.
    I looked at it VERY differently, more like showing human nature, questioning his own faith, trials and tribulations, etc. Our faith is tested, plain and simple and that line speaks to the issue, at least for me.
    May the force be with you.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    I looked at it VERY differently, more like showing human nature, questioning his own faith, trials and tribulations, etc. Our faith is tested, plain and simple and that line speaks to the issue, at least for me.
    Well, as preacher he would know the exact conditions that Christ described for the Resurrection of the Saints and the zombie apocalypse is nothing even close.

As it is, though, I can chalk it up to a moment of weakness, since he had come to accept the death of his wife, had just lost his farm and he didn't know if any of his other family members had survived up to that point. I just hope that the writers tone that kind of thing down a bit in the future. The whole "preacher who lost faith when he saw how terrible the 'real world' is" thing has been done to death.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

On Hell on Wheels, the Preacher losing his faith is also being done.

That's 2 AMC shows. The Preacher on HoW lost his faith because he tried to stop the Indians from being massacred by the US Army at the behest of the railroad vying for territory. He wanted everyone to "get along." Now the war with the Cheyene is "on!" (But that show follows the course of actual history.)

On Walking Dead, I think that they are showing religion is open to interpretation. Yeah. The Dead have arisen as supposedly set to happen in the End Times.

First, prophesy can be made to resemble whatever is happening so as to lend religion more power when it's convenient.

For example, the Japanese tsunami and Texas tornado, followed up with a big fire and an earthquake this year, could have folks yelling that the Mayans were right and suddenly a lot of people converting to appease the Mayan gods if some charismatic "Mayan" medacine man does a good job preaching it. (I think faith should be found within oneself, not by having someone led to it by a guide, such as a religious leader, all of whom I have questions about their motivations - though I'm sure some could be good guys. Is there good in the (ficticious example of my modern) Mayan Medacine Man?

Second, if prophesy comes to be true, it's not necessary what everyone wants or expects. An example is in Star Wars. Anakin would bring balance to the Force. With the Dark Side rising, this sounded like a good thing, right? Well, he balanced the Force alright. All Jedi dead (mostly), the Order broken, and 2 Jedi (Obi-Wan and Yoda) and 2 Sith (Vader and Sidious). Next it's down to only 1 on 1: Luke vs. Sidious and Anakin/Vader settles that one, doesn't he? Well, I'm sure Mace would have preferred the prophesy to have been fulfilled somewhat differently. But we actually never learned what Jedi thought about how the prophesy would manifest itself.

Revelations is prophesy. It is about what is to come to be. Most of the Bible (both testaments) is about what has already happened.

So, someone, maybe not in the immediate cast of WD, could interpret the Walking Dead, as "the arisen." And in the twisted world, maybe the saints are the sinners. As if the interesting people were the ones chosen to be brought back: such as thieves, adulterers, and murderers. WD is full of twists and turns and man doesn't really know what God wants: preachers that have a gift to talk TELL us what God wants, and group-think repeats it. It's backed up by Bible INTERPRETATION from which there is cause to doubt.

I think Herschel is an excellent character for this role, btw. His keeping the Walkers "healthy" in his barn was great writing and a classic example. I do not know if that was ever in the comics, but it is brilliant writing! I loved that idea and how Shane settled the question. I'm going to miss Shane, btw.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

So what a season 3 opener!

I watched Talking dead and I'm curious to see more of Michonne and learn about her. I'm not a comic book reader.

As to the live guys they found in the prison? I wonder how they'll get along. Rick has to protect the women and children. Remember the guys he shot in the bar?

I think that place is going to be hell for them!

I was pretty happy with the season premiere. I loved how Rick's group had turned into a well-oiled, zombie-killing machine over the winter. And I especially liked how Carl is regarded as just one of the troops now and not the kid that is constantly being hidden from danger.

I'm looking forward to learning more about Michonne also. I wonder if they are going to explain more about the zombie-slaves and I wouldn't mind seeing some flashbacks to establish how her and Andrea became so close.

I think the prison is going to be their home base for the duration of this season at least. I don't read the comic books either, but I've been deliberately avoiding them to keep from having the story spoiled.

If Michonne's zombie pets fall over, with no arms, how do they get back up? Does she set them right side up?

I understand it provides cover for her so other Walkers can't sniff her out, but are they really practical?