Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast
    Do you think they were BBQ'ing the dead? Is that where the food was coming from?

In any case:

1) Never thought they'd go into suggested child rape (which Rick prevented) but I liked being shocked by this even darker turn for TWD. Yes, it was very uncomfortable to watch. That's the idea. You don't forget!

2) Rick and his "appetite!" Wow. All I can say is that was awesome!

3) Terminus - BigB, I think you understand it better than I do (Your insight is welcome!) But those people will not be able to handle themselves against TWD's "A-Team." I wonder if they'll use a new "war" to kill some characters next season? I don't think the zombies can ever kill our group now - after Darryl escaped that funeral home 2 episodes ago?!

4) Now I think Beth (instead of being kidnapped for rape) might have been rescued from the funeral home as it could have been a trap for people to be taken to Terminus.

5) Terminus - with all its signs out there - and it being a definite bad place (did you hear the screams for help coming from the cattle cars?) - needs to be destroyed. To me it represents the Sodom & Gomorrah of TWD world. (I doubt I'm wrong.)

6). I still think Judith is a key.

She was conceived after the zombie apocalypse. Maybe it only affected those that breathed something in the air at that particular time? Like a bio-weapon gone haywire?

There is no cure for those that turn. But maybe Judith and those conceived afterward never will? (A Child Will Lead.... - WaterWorld, but also Christian mythology - not to mention SW did it with The Chosen One.) There's always that...and deferring to a child to lead is always a safe way for other "apostle types" to gather power for themselves as the caretaker-types (China and Japan's empires for example - even led us into WWII with Japan).

Anyway, Carl's role will eventually be his sister's protector. My prediction. Everyone else will someday turn.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Seeing the pile of bones, stripped of all flesh, that Rick, Michonne and Carl ran past made me think of cannibalism. Then seeing that the group had been herded into train cars with evidence that they were being fed while in there (the trash on the ground that Rick saw as he walked in), kinda of reinforced that notion.

Supposedly, they do encounter a group of cannibals in the comic (even though Terminus was never in the comic), but I don't know the details of that since I've never read the comic. However, I think there is much more to Terminus than just a bunch of cannibals. I still don't know what to make of the room they discovered with all the candles.

Even if Judith turned out to not be affected because of being born after the apocalypse, how would they ever know that without killing her at this point? Unless they stumble upon a doctor or scientist who would have the tools necessary to test her blood and actually know what he was looking for.

Well, there is Eugene I guess, but he doesn't even know Judith exists at this point. Plus, some people spoiled some info about Eugene from the comic books on a different forum, but I'm not sure if I want to pass on those potential spoilers.

I was reading through the threads about how bad the "How I Met Your Mother" finale was and it got me thinking. Obviously TWD can't last forever, so I wonder if they have a finale planned already or if they're just going to play it by ear when the time comes. What would you guys like to see in terms of a series finale for Walking Dead?

One thing I know I do NOT want to see is an "everybody dies" scenario. Mainly because that would make everything that came before seem totally pointless. That ending might work for a zombie movie (like Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead), but it's different when you've invested years into a character instead of just a couple of hours. Also I don't want to see an ending like George Romero's Night of the Living Dead, where you watch a character survive all kinds of hardships throughout the story only for them to get killed off almost randomly in the last few seconds of the film (I understand Romero was making a statement with that ending, but again the audience will feel cheated if they've been following that character for years).

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a happy ending to the series, where they cure the infection, or at least learn to control it, and the survivors of the show can start rebuilding some semblance of a normal life for themselves. Which would probably be extremely difficult, because they are all likely suffering from some level of post-traumatic stress disorder and if the entire world went back to some semblance of normalcy, it would probably take them years to readjust to the quiet… some of them would probably never be able to live a normal life again.

In fact, there might be a few episodes worth of interesting stories to tell about how the survivors start to rebuild after the zombie apocalypse is over. Or maybe just a 2-hour finale.

Star Trek Voyager is a good example of a high-concept series with a really good happy ending finale, so it can be done. M*A*S*H would be another example of a happy ending finale and that's considered one of the best series finales of all time.

Oh yeah, and let's not have Rick waking up from his coma at the end of the series with Lori, Carl and Shane at his bedside and he tells them, "I had this really terrible dream…" then the screen fades to black.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I was reading through the threads about how bad the "How I Met Your Mother" finale was and it got me thinking. Obviously TWD can't last forever, so I wonder if they have a finale planned already or if they're just going to play it by ear when the time comes. What would you guys like to see in terms of a series finale for Walking Dead?

One thing I know I do NOT want to see is an "everybody dies" scenario. Mainly because that would make everything that came before seem totally pointless. That ending might work for a zombie movie (like Zack Snyder's Dawn of the Dead), but it's different when you've invested years into a character instead of just a couple of hours. Also I don't want to see an ending like George Romero's Night of the Living Dead, where you watch a character survive all kinds of hardships throughout the story only for them to get killed off almost randomly in the last few seconds of the film (I understand Romero was making a statement with that ending, but again the audience will feel cheated if they've been following that character for years).
    I have found, to me anyway, that the only real way you can have any sort of truly satisfying ending when it comes to a "post apocalyptic/after the end" scenario without it being a downer ending (aka they all die) or the story also being considered a "time travel" scenario is to leave the story open ended for the reader's imagination/interpretation. You can have some semblance of closure or a happy ending by having whatever the immediate threat is eliminated (like say the governor), establishing a new safe haven to take refuge (like the prison), and/or offering some optimistic view/hope for the better tomorrow (like Terminator 2's road to an unknown future ending), but the underlying cause of the "post apocalyptic/after the end" scenario can't be flat out stated to have been eliminated in its entirety. It would come off as being unbelievable just to hand wave it off like that. To attempt to tie everything up in such a "nice package and fancy bow" would make for too saccharine of a "happy ending" and "deus ex machina".
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Yeah, if they did come up with a cure it would have to be something that they spent at least a full season building up to. Of course, what would the cure be exactly? They can't help those people who have already turned, but they can prevent the living from turning after they die. Even if they did that, however, it doesn't end the apocalypse, since there is no longer an infrastructure to society that would mean that there is no way to mass-produce the cure or even distribute it to everyone. So they could conceivably have a working cure for a whole season or more without it doing anybody much good at all, except for the small group of people that have direct possession of it.

On top of all that, even if they did manage to cure everybody, they've still got potentially millions of zombies roaming around. So coming up with a cure doesn't automatically end the series.

But I do think the series needs to come to some kind of resolution at the end.

Seeing the pile of bones, stripped of all flesh, that Rick, Michonne and Carl ran past made me think of cannibalism. Then seeing that the group had been herded into train cars with evidence that they were being fed while in there (the trash on the ground that Rick saw as he walked in), kinda of reinforced that notion.
    Yes. And Rick took a bite out of "Joseph?'s" neck when he saved Carl. I'm sure he spit instead of swallowed (hehe) but it might have been foreshadowing. These people's notions of ethics are being compromised at every turn. They've dealt with the taboo topic of sex (sort of) as what was about to happen to Carl took THAT as far as it needs to go as far as I'm concerned (unless there's an "age of consent" question with Beth in a romantic way with Darryl - except she's nearly 18 and "legal age" in some states (16 or as young as 13-14 with parental consent and marriage - Kentucky - etc). But Darryl and Carol make a better couple and I don't think Beth is cut out to survive in this world. Darryl realizes that I'm sure, but he will try to keep her alive anyway (and it's Darryl - so he may very well succeed). But Carol is so much a better match for Darryl - and the age difference actually has VERY LITTLE to do with it. It's a personality type thing.

Supposedly, they do encounter a group of cannibals in the comic (even though Terminus was never in the comic), but I don't know the details of that since I've never read the comic. However, I think there is much more to Terminus than just a bunch of cannibals. I still don't know what to make of the room they discovered with all the candles.
    People invent religion and traditions to justify some code of "morality" if they need it to move on with however they're living. Remember, human sacrifices were part of some religions. I suspect that the candles and memorials are to people the Terminus bunch EAT!

Yes, they honor their food.

Native Americans did this with the deer / moose they killed. They say they were sorry to kill and hope the animal's great spirit returned to the Greater Spirit (giver of life). They respected the food chain cycle.

I think the Terminus residents do practice cannibalism. And they sort of "honor their prey" with those memorials.

I do not think they're above raping their prey either. More on that in a second.

Even if Judith turned out to not be affected because of being born after the apocalypse, how would they ever know that without killing her at this point? Unless they stumble upon a doctor or scientist who would have the tools necessary to test her blood and actually know what he was looking for.
    They might be killing babies to test their theory. This is a depraved world and children have little hope to survive in it (we've seen). As there are very sick and reprehensible acts (that memorable and good "no-holds barred" fiction explores - namely whatever's taboo or controversial) this post-birth abortion for the sake of science might be a great angle to explore.

Babies killed - but NOT BITTEN - and they might feed a baby to a zombie to test that theory too in a really sick scene - might not turn.

Thus the obvious conclusion to save the HUMAN race - is continuous breeding. They might have sex slaves or surrogate mothers / fathers based on genetic selection. (Darryl's a survivor - wonder how he'd like being a stud? Maybe he's to be bred with Beth and that's how they find her and rescue her - but NO Darryl would not rape her! However, Beth seems to be infatuated with him. It could be consensual. However I just discussed how she's a bad match for him and if Carol could birth a new child with Darryl - that would really help bring Carol's character full-circle since she lost Sophia and had to put down Lizzy - and Carol (we know!) can protect children.

Anyway, this is cable TV - an opportunity to do "depraved" story-telling. I write my novels (since they are novels and would work best as cable shows or R-rated movies) to be in line with that. I like entertainment that makes one think. It can be G-rated, but it would depend on the subject matter. An on-going series can often explore ALL subject matter.

Well, there is Eugene I guess, but he doesn't even know Judith exists at this point. Plus, some people spoiled some info about Eugene from the comic books on a different forum, but I'm not sure if I want to pass on those potential spoilers.
    Maybe don't spoil it here. But I'm still thinking Eugene Porter is a fraud. Sgt. Slaughter there will follow him anywhere because he's stupid but a good fighter type. When Rick and Darryl meet Porter, he'll be re-evaluated. But the season ended for this year.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Cause and "re-birth."

I don't want there to be a cure. Rick and Darryl, Michone - will all "turn." Either in old age or glorious sacrifice, they'll have to take one in the head.

Carl will survive long enough to raise Judith - who will not turn, along with a new generation, and maybe Carl will find a girl and have his own child.

But Judith and Carl's child will have to be trained to kill their parents before they turn one day.

The zombie population will eventually rot its way into oblivion as corpses fall apart, and the "biting body-less heads" will eventually experience brain decay and stop biting.

No. See above. And Carl will go through a huge character arc if he eventually has to kill Michonne, Darryl, and his father.

I actually wouldn't mind seeing a happy ending to the series, where they cure the infection, or at least learn to control it, and the survivors of the show can start rebuilding some semblance of a normal life for themselves. Which would probably be extremely difficult, because they are all likely suffering from some level of post-traumatic stress disorder and if the entire world went back to some semblance of normalcy, it would probably take them years to readjust to the quiet… some of them would probably never be able to live a normal life again.
    No. They have a chance to make a serious point about government bio-weapon engineering or terrorism here, or even some experiment for achieving immortality that back-fired. I hope they take that route. To finish making that point, it has to have tragedy.

If the children conceived after the apocalypse can survive without turning (Judith) Carl's kid, a kid with Darryl and Carol (or Beth - or both if Darryl gets around), can build a better future, where we hope they don't repeat that mistake - that'd give hope.

Rick, Michonne, maybe a few others - will survive into the last season or even the last episode.

Star Trek Voyager is a good example of a high-concept series with a really good happy ending finale, so it can be done. M*A*S*H would be another example of a happy ending finale and that's considered one of the best series finales of all time.
    No. A thought-provoking ending like many singular Star Trek episodes. Like when Dr. Pulaski discovered the children that were bio-engineered on that research station, but had to live in quarantine because they were deadly to their creators and caused them to age and die rapidly (ST TNG season 2).

I hope you didn't have an Ewok celebration in mind for the ending to Walking Dead? LOL (where even the zombies learn to sing and they perform "We Are Family" all lined up shoulder-to-shoulder and kick-dance until their rotting legs fall off).

Oh yeah, and let's not have Rick waking up from his coma at the end of the series with Lori, Carl and Shane at his bedside and he tells them, "I had this really terrible dream…" then the screen fades to black.
    It makes the series pointless.

Now I'd like to dedicate my response here to The Dark Side of the Force.

[This response is unaffiliated with any official Sith doctrine, but solely the opinion of Tycho, an individual Dark Sider.]

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    No. They have a chance to make a serious point about government bio-weapon engineering or terrorism here, or even some experiment for achieving immortality that back-fired. I hope they take that route. To finish making that point, it has to have tragedy.
    Yeah, I'm not sure if I want to see this show turned into some kind of political statement. I think that would cheapen it.

I hope you didn't have an Ewok celebration in mind for the ending to Walking Dead? LOL (where even the zombies learn to sing and they perform "We Are Family" all lined up shoulder-to-shoulder and kick-dance until their rotting legs fall off).
    Not at all. Just because I say that I would like to see a happy ending to the series, that doesn't mean that everyone needs to be happy at the ending of the series. It just needs to end with a few survivors and give us some glimmer of hope for the future. That's it.

Like I've said before, even if they cure the infection, they still have millions of zombies to deal with. The population of the state of Georgia is over 9 million people. So, even if not everyone was infected and they were able to kill about 500 zombies per day, it would still take them decades to clear out just that one state. So, curing the infection doesn't end the danger.

But the zombies are dead bodies. They rot and fall apart. Eventually brain rot would stop their function

But the zombies are dead bodies. They rot and fall apart. Eventually brain rot would stop their function
    Assuming of course zombies rot in the same traditional sense/rate as normal corpses. Rot is a result of physical/chemical decomposition brought on by insects and microbes. Whatever turned them might also give them some amount of rot resistance to traditional decomposing insects and microbes. Heck, the extreme temperatures of Summer and Winter should of did a number of them in if they were like traditional corpses, yet we've been shown that they have been able to survive both just fine.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection