Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: The Avengers

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    and a few I didn't (starting the film with Maria's testimony and bookending it with a cheap out)
    I'm definitely glad that they nixed Maria Hill's opening scene because I felt that it oversold the events of the story and would have set the wrong tone for the movie. Based on her telling of it, I would have expected a somber tragedy to follow, not the lighthearted and fun film that we actually saw.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I'm definitely glad that they nixed Maria Hill's opening scene because I felt that it oversold the events of the story and would have set the wrong tone for the movie. Based on her telling of it, I would have expected a somber tragedy to follow, not the lighthearted and fun film that we actually saw.
    Agreed. Plus, it reeked of cheap TV storytelling, not the movie we got.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

They should've left the extended scene after Hulk falls from the Helicarrier, though. That explained quite a bit about his change of heart.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I did like that scene, but I guess they thought it might be better to get to the smashing as soon as possible. Maybe it will end up in an extended version of the movie at some point down the road.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    They should've left the extended scene after Hulk falls from the Helicarrier, though. That explained quite a bit about his change of heart.
    That scene also somewhat patches the hole of "why was he a rampaging monster before and now he's cool" - because Banner finds out that the Hulk aimed his fall. And it's a good scene, it plays well for both actors. That cameo by Harry Dean Stanton was great as was the cameo by Stan Lee, yet both cutscene cameos were WAY BETTER.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

So, anyone heard any news on the Avengers front lately?

DC might need to up their game, because I truly think they are screwed right now if they don't get their act together.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Yeah, Marvel dropped several big bombs today and I don't see how DC can even hope to compete with what they have planned. I think "giddy as a school girl" would pretty much sum up my initial reactions to the news and for the last couple of hours, I've just been wandering around the house in a euphoric daze while considering the possibilities.

Just thinking about seeing Iron Man, Starlord, Captain America, Rocket, Hulk, Groot, etc. all in the same movie is almost too much. I really can't wrap my mind around it right now. I just have to say that there might be tears when May 4th, 2018 rolls around.

I remember the late-90s, during the big build-up to the Prequels, when the idea of a new Star Wars trilogy felt like the biggest motion picture event of all time. Then LOTR came out and that felt like the biggest motion picture event of all time. As of today, this massive plan that Marvel just outlined feels like the biggest motion picture event of all time; but I really can't think of any way that anybody is going to be able to top what Marvel is doing right now.

I saw the trailer a few days ago and its really got me intrigued. They've definitely drummed up alot of interest

Now that the initial excitement of the announcements has worn off, I'm a bit bummed that there was no announcement of a new Hulk movie. They finally have the perfect actor for Banner/Hulk; but they seem to have totally lost faith in Hulk's ability to carry a movie.

I think they need to get over this notion that Hulk is just a mindless brute and give him some of the intelligence that he's displayed in the comic books. Something like Planet Hulk would be awesome for a standalone Hulk movie and would keep him in Hulk form for 99% of the film, with Bruce only making one or two brief appearances. Basically the exact opposite of the last two Hulk films. People go to Hulk movies to see the Hulk, not an hour and a half of Bruce Banner whining about the Hulk.

They nailed Hulk so well in Avengers, I was kinda hoping for that, too.

Then again, they could potentially string out the "Hulk smash!" angle for about five years, then have Hulk appear to be dead in some movie, and a post-credit scene of him reemerging... as Joe Fixit. Then maybe a film about Banner, brute Hulk and Fixit fighting, ending with them merging into "the Professor." And everyone's shocked in the next Avengers movie when suddenly Hulk is a super-genius.
    Tommy, close your eyes.