Thumbs up Ridley Scott to direct new Blade Runner film!

As a fan of the original Blade Runner, I always wondered what came before or after the events in the film. The world they created for the film was simply amazing and I really wanted to spend more time exploring it.

Ridley Scott set to direct the new Blade Runner movie

Back in March we reported the news that Alcon entertainment had purchased the rights to Blade Runner was readying either a sequel or a prequel. Now, Ridley Scott has signed on to direct and produce the next Blade Runner film. Wow.

Deadline is reporting that after revisiting his Alien franchise, the director is keen to go back to again to another of his seminal science fiction projects, and has now signed a deal to direct and produce with the previously announced producers Andrew Kosove and Broderick Johnson. There is still no word on whether this movie will be a sequel or a prequel. When we interviewed Kosove and Johnson (back in March) they were open to all ideas including showing the bloody Replicant mutiny, or what happened after the Rick Deckard story:

Kosove: "There are opportunities to think about either, what our world will be like in our almost immediate near future. Or to think about what the world is after Blade Runner, because we have things that have come into our being, things that are a part of our consciousness now that we couldn't have imaged many years ago.

Deadline confirms that it still doesn't sound like the production company knows what story they want to tell yet exactly, but that the writing process will be the next step. If we had to guess, we'd put our money on the near future mutiny. However, since Blade Runner was set in 2019, whatever they film as a prequel will have to be the very near-future.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Note to SSG Forumite DeckardSmith, your time has come! And it's not even 2019 yet...

I think this has possibilities.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

I do too. It's back in the hands of the person who handled the original, so it's not like it's someone who has merely studied the material; he actually invented this world (aside from the original text from which the screenplay was written).
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Between this and the new Alien prequel he's directing, I wonder if Ridley Scott has had some kind of midlife crisis, or a stroke or something. Not that they are bad ideas, but it's very odd for him to look backwards after a career of pushing only forward.

Anyway, it's an interesting idea, but I'm not exactly sold yet, a lot can go wrong with something like this. I saw Blade Runner's 70mm print when I was a kid and was hooked ever since, and at Comic-Con '07, Steve wanted to get into the Star Wars panel room before it started, and there on the dais was Ridley Scott, who was damned fascinating, and sold me on ordering the Blade Runner DVD set special edition (the one in the briefcase) and the Blu-Ray later. So I believe in the original, but I don't want to see yet another classic tarnished by a mess of a sequel.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

So, will this be a sequel to the "happy ending" original theatrical release, or the "dark, ambiguous ending" Director's Cut?

Harrison Ford's acting skills seem to have degraded significantly based on the last Indy movie and what I've heard about Cowboys and Aliens, so I'm hoping that he doesn't make a return.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    So, will this be a sequel to the "happy ending" original theatrical release, or the "dark, ambiguous ending" Director's Cut?

Harrison Ford's acting skills seem to have degraded significantly based on the last Indy movie and what I've heard about Cowboys and Aliens, so I'm hoping that he doesn't make a return.
    Interesting point, on the ending. We shall see.

I haven't found his acting to have worsened (and I thought he was good in C&A), just changed from his younger and more vulnerable days, my father gave... oops. Channeled my inner Gatsby. He approaches characters differently. I'd see him in an obvious, but different, cameo role (e.g. Charleton Heston in Burton's Apes film, Stan Lee in Marvel hero pics, Keith Richards in Pirates, etc.) that nods to his casting in the '82 flick.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Why?

(And I needed six more characters.)

Dark ending, for sure. Ridley Scott had no intention of that being a part of the story, the studio put it on in an attempt to make the story more mainstream-marketable despite being a total sellout to the sci-fi-noir material.

Harrison Ford's acting has definitely worsened IMO, right around Patriot Games he stopped connecting with certain types of parts and became this gruff, grumbling, yelling scene-chewer I guess when he realized folks didn't want to see him do true dramatic parts.

As for including him in any way with a new Blade Runner, I don't think that's a good idea unless he's really gung-ho for coming back to the part. I personally could have loved a story with an older Rick Deckard, an old gumshoe who ended up going back to the life after a brief bout of humanity, but not a 70+ year old Deckard.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.