Red face Eeth Koth and Zutton... a contrast in design

Well... I just received a Zutton and picked up an Eeth Koth today. I can't even begin to tell you what a little masterpiece the Zutton is. The sculptor really did a great job on this little guy. He's got all of that fine articulation and some really great accessories. I've been fiddling with him for the last hour. There is so much playability here. I really enjoy the fact that I can put this guy into pretty much ANY situation and it will look good.

On the other side of the coin... there is Eeth Koth. Sure, great detail, but what can you do with him? Nothing really. he's of some bicep articulation, but what good does that do? His robes suddenly defy gravity in the worst way. He has no leg articulation... which is fine, because if he DID... it would be useless anyhow. Just to be a goof, I substitued his lightsaber for Zutton's drinking glass. Very funny stuff here, folks! "Damn you!! I want a free refill!!!!" I took the glass away- "Why you...!! If I get my hands on you..."

It's amazing that these two figures can exist in the same line and be so completely different in every way! It was really because of this that I began to understand why I really don't care for the new figures in the AOTC line. Some are one pose statues, whilst others are able to be used anywhere. The Zutton is a toy. Plain and simple. Eeth Koth is a statue... almost to the point that he is like a miniature maquette. I feel that there should have been a little more consideration in "choosing up sides", if you will. I think that the main characters should have come in two separate versions. One that is scene specific and another that is a true poseable action figure. Sadly, we are left with two completely different products that are meant to co-exist in one line and, for all accounts, one collector's display area. We, who choose not to set up scene highlight dioramas, are left with figures that are so far out in left field, that they look rather silly next to the last 24 years worth of action figures.

I suppose people would view things differently or understand my point better if we had only gotten the original Jedi council figures all sitting in chairs and in sitting position alone... because "that's what they did in the TPM". Now we have them all in fighting stance, because "that's what they did in AOTC". Well... my imagination is NOT the movie and the movie is NOT my imagination. I have been collecting for 24 years to "go beyond" the films, if you will- not just stay within the confines of another's imagination and storyline.

The radically posed ones should have been dedicated to one line and the rest to another. Now, if only for myself, I am starting to see it all the more clearly.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

The idea of releasing both general and specialized figure is growing on me, at least for my collecting purposes. I try to display in action poses, and if it's not working, I just throw the figure back in a box.

I guess I can see the complaint from a toy standpoint, but for recreating scenes, I do like the new direction. Now if they'd only get the paint jobs consistent...
    "It's bombs away for Iraq and on our civil liberties if Bush and his cronies get their way. Dissent is patriotic!"
    - Helen Thomas, veteran journalist

Journalists are mostly centrist in their political orientation. The minority of journalists who do not identify with the "center" are more likely to identify with the "right" when it comes to economic issues and to identify with the "left" when it comes to social issues.

I completely agree with JediPartnr, however, I don't except Eeth Koth fully as POTJ, mostly it seems it is the first Sneak Preview E2 figure. Hasbro has said that the energy blasts on the blade was a test for the upcoming E2 lightsabers, I'd also guess that the super-warrior posing of Eeth was also a test since it contradicts Hasbro's "scene-specific" figure excuse for when a figure doesn't have alot of articulation, like Throne Room Amidala.

Zutton is rather fun, but it would've been nice had he come with articulation like the Rebel Trooper instead of just the bending knees since when trying to kneel he needs something to prop him up, however you can put his blaster in either hand and it looks ok, extra points there for the lack of stable kneeling ability.

Eeth Koth, well, I'm glad that they added the extra articulation points in the arm, especially the wrist joint.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

I have to say that Zutton is one of my favorite figures so far. His detailing is so precise. SO what if he doesn't stay balanced on one knee? He can actually be seated in a cantina diorama. The glass was a brilliant idea as well. I only wish Boshek and Djas Puhr would also include them. I'm really hoping Hasbro decides to do the cantina two-packs. Perhaps these figures will have articulated knees, and include a drinking glass as well.

Eeth Koth has nice detail work, But looks rather silly posed with the rest of my jedi council. OH well, At least I got Snaggletooth. By the way, Zutton looks great sitting in Yoda's little jedi council chair.

Originally posted by LTBasker
    Zutton is rather fun, but it would've been nice had he come with articulation like the Rebel Trooper instead of just the bending knees since when trying to kneel he needs something to prop him up
    Just for anyone looking for a way to prop Zutton up in his "kneeling" pose I got some stuff from Wal-Mart call Handi-Tak, it's the poster adhesive stuff that is supposed to not leave any traces of being there and stuff, well I put a little piece on the desk and then I put him in as much as a kneeling pose as I could get him in then stuck his foot on the handi-tak and he stood up/kneeled perfectly without a problem. :happy:
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Zutton is a cool figure. I'm glad one of the Cantina aliens finally came with a drinking glass. Eeth Koth is a very cool figure. His only problem is that he can't move! The removable blade is a nice touch and I like how his hilt can attach to his belt. But he looks like a goof not holding his lightsaber.
    "Maybe I can help you. I am Boba Fett. The ship you seek is nearby." -Boba Fett

LTBasker: thats a good idea with the poster tack stuff, although when i was little i found the stuff did leave some residue behind but its possible there have been many advances in the world of poster hanging since then.

eeth koth is a damn cool pose and i'd like to see some other figs made in this method, classic trilogy stuff, maybe everyone who brandishes a saber in the films?

I like the Eeth Koth figure and I hope they make all figures like this from now on, keep up the great work Hasbro!
    "Giggety giggety!"

Jek Porky 2008

After a few seconds of practice, I was able to get my Zutton to balance on one knee holding his blaster.

Personally, I believe that any toy released as an "action figure" should be fully articulated and should have a somewhat neutral pose. If Hasbro wants to do scene-specific figures, add articulation to allow them to do that, but leave the initial pose alone.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

you want full articulation and collect star wars toys? thats madness!