Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Blu-ray editions... the changes:

What else have you found?

We already have:
    • Darth Vader's additional "dialogue" in the Throne Room ROTJ
    • The establishing shot of the droids coming up to the giant door to Jabba's Palace ROTJ
    • Additional effects to the melting carbonite ROTJ
    • Blinking ewoks ROTJ
    • The wampa arm "fix" TESB
    • The krayt dragon cry ANH
    • Another "fix" to who shot first in the cantina ANH

I noticed that they either added to or remixed the sound during Anakin's nightmare on Naboo AOTC. You can now clearly hear Shmi saying "Anakin, Anakin... help me!! Anakin... no!!!" That scene plays SO much better now.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Appologies for any redundancy with the list above but here is the list of changes noticed so far from wikipedia:

Episode I: The Phantom Menace
    • A new blurring effect is used when Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan use Force Speed to escape the droidekas.
    • The medium shot of Nute Gunray and Rune Haako observing Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan escaping the droidekas has been replaced with a long shot.
    • After Queen Amidala calls for a vote of no confidence in Chancellor Vallorum, the chant "Vote now!" can no longer be heard in the Senate chamber.
    • In a scene with Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan discussing Anakin's fate on Coruscant, the sun has brightened from orange to white.
    • All scenes with Yoda depicted by a puppet have been replaced with a CG model.

Episode II: Attack of the Clones
    • During Anakin's nightmare scene, a voiceover of his mother Shmi has been added.
    • After Yoda saves Obi-Wan and Anakin from Dooku's falling pillar, the reaction shots of Yoda and then Anakin and Obi-Wan are moved up before the shots of Dooku escaping on his ship and Padme and the clonetroopers arriving and firing at him.

Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
    • The scene transition from Padme's ship to Anakin on Mustafar has been changed from a straight cut back to a wipe, restoring the original theatrical release.

Episode IV: A New Hope
    • Obi-Wan's Krayt Dragon call has once again been changed.
    • In the scene where Obi-Wan discovers R2 hiding in an alcove, rocks have been digitally inserted into the frame to hide the droid.
    • The shot of Han and Greedo firing at each other has been shortened by several frames from the 2004 DVD version.
    • Luke's green light saber aboard the Millennium Falcon from the 2004 DVD has been corrected and is now blue.
    • The audio errors during the Battle of Yavin in the 2004 DVD have been corrected.

Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back
    • In the shot when the wampa mauls Luke's tauntaun, the puppeteer's arm can no longer be seen.
    • In an exterior shot of Cloud City featuring Leia waiting for Han in her apartment, a reflection can now be seen in Leia's window.

Episode VI: Return of the Jedi
    • A static long shot of R2D2 and C3PO approaching the door to Jabba's palace has been replaced with an extreme long shot revealing more of the door, as the camera zooms in on the droids.
    • There are now brighter flashes of light when Han is released from the carbonite.
    • A CG Dug has been added to the scene in Jabba's palace which features sleeping partygoers.
    • A new closeup shot of Han striking Boba Fett's jetpack has been added.
    • Wicket's eyes now have CG eyelids, allowing him to blink.
    • When R2D2 is shot by a stormtrooper, additional CG gadgets fly out of his body as he malfunctions.
    • The lightsaber errors from the 2004 DVD have been corrected and Luke and Darth Vader's lightsabers now have white cores.
    • Darth Vader now says "No" while Luke is tortured by the Emperor's Force Lightning attack, and then screams "Nooooo!" as he picks Palpatine up and hurls him into the Death Star's reactor core.

Of course, we all know to take everything on wikipedia with a grain of salt but I think it's a place where fans will edit the list as it's veracity is confirmed or denied.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

And they still couldn't fix Hayden in the Sebastian robes. Have the inverted scenes been fixed?

All I've found is that this is the first Blu-ray I've bought in 3 years that necesitated a firmware upgrade. I hope it works after this.

Edit: well, I updated the firmware and I still lose sound about 2 minutes into the disks. :grumble:

I watched all of TPM and AOTC last night, having skimmed all six the night before to check out the changes. THOUGHTS AS THEY COME TO ME!

I don't have an HDTV, and the BDs were playing in 480p, but I'm reasonably sure I could see more detail (or maybe I was just being wacky). Nevertheless, the TPM disc looks incredible. The fuzzy red look of the DVD is gone, thank the maker. The rest don't look too different from the DVDs, aside from the added detail.

I also only use the speakers on the TV, but the louder scenes seemed to have more oomph, and more contrast from the quiet moments. I'm pretty sure it's not my imagination, but I don't know what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    And they still couldn't fix Hayden in the Sebastian robes. Have the inverted scenes been fixed?
    Obi-Wan's braid is still on the wrong side when Qui-Gon leaves on the eopie. I remembered a few shots of R2-D2 being obviously flopped in the other releases, but I didn't notice anything jumping out at me this time (though I wasn't looking for any of it, and I haven't heard anything about them being fixed).

The Shaw robes are lighter in color than the Christensen ones, thus making the character look more friendly. Obi-Wan left his brown robe behind when he died, yet he has it in his spirit form, so maybe he got them at the ghost mall or something.

To 2-1B's note in another thread, no, they have not replaced the Samuel L. Jackson stand-in when the Jedi arrive on Naboo.

The new shot of Nute and Rune has the video screen looking jumpier than the other shots; it's all right, but doesn't look as good as it could.

Not having "Vote now!" is somewhat jarring (as I assume many of the OT changes are for people who grew up with the originals). They kept the similar "Palpatine! Palpatine!" chant from AOTC.

I like the Shmi voiceover, as it makes the scene less . . . er, you know . . .

I didn't notice the re-edit of the hangar finale.

I don't hate the new Obi-Wan yell like a lot of people do. It sounds okay, not really better or worse than the other versions (though definitely more human). The rocks in that scene also look better in motion and in the context of the scene, though they did forget to put them there again when Artoo comes forward. (Though I didn't really notice that those were the same rocks until discussion of this release.)

The new Han vs. Greedo editing is much better and quicker, not halting the momentum of the scene as much as before. Greedo shoots first, but it looks great.

Luke's lightsaber on the Falcon is indeed blue, finally. The blade in the close-ups is still paler than in the wide shots, but it still looks to be more blue it used to in this scene.

In ESB, they also changed the scene where Chewie plays keep-away with the Ugnaughts. The furnace is now bright orange instead of blue and casts its light on the surrounding area, and there are digital sparks as well. I didn't think the old one needed fixing but it looks much hotter now.

Jabba's door is the same as it ever was on the inside, so maybe he has two separate entrances or something. I like the idea of showing more of the palace, but maybe they should have shown the area around the door instead of making the door much larger than it looks from inside.

There are a few other Ewok blinks I noticed. Wicket has several when he meets Leia; Nippet the wokling has one when the Rebels arrive to the village; and another wokling shuts his eyes during a scary part of C-3PO's story. I didn't watch any of Wicket's other close-ups. The change to the eyes is not as obvious in-film as some images have shown; that is to say, I suppose they did add pupils, but it looks pretty subtle. I like the blinks; they especially help the woklings look more realistic.

The "No!"s in ROTJ aren't quite as bad as everyone is complaining. The preview video on YouTube cut the electrocution scene into less than half its length, so of course it's going to stand out more. In the full context of the scene, it's not that horrible. There are still plenty of moments where Vader stands there silently making his decision. Unnecessary, maybe, but not earth-shattering.

I forgot to check out the new gadgets that pop out of R2-D2 on Endor, but I like the other changes I didn't mention.

I won't have time to watch the actual movies in their entirety for awhile...but I skimmed through TPM last night to watch every Yoda scene, and they were fantastic. Love the CG version!!! Too bad they didn't fix the Obi-Wan braid, though...and Fake Windu, for that matter.

I know they can never "fix" the puffy-face / Blackhawk Down hair version of Obi-Wan in TPM or the fake-beard Obi-Wan in AOTC... or the Anakin wig in ROTS...but those things still bother me while watching.

The prequel deleted scenes were mostly awful IMO; I didn't expect much since they already put a lot of cool stuff on the DVDs. I kinda liked the Anakin/Obi-Wan Elevator Antics scene but it's probably for the best that it was cut.

The scene where Yoda communes with Ben Burtt Qui-Gon seemed bad, I know it would be better if we actually heard Liam Neeson but really I'm glad Qui-Gon's not in ROTS. I like the mystery of his "return" much better.

I'm halfway thru the ESB deleted scenes; so far I feel that the OT deleted scenes are very interesting but there's not a single one that I think belong in the movies, but it's great to see them.

Gotta disagree about one of them...the Bunker battle on the inside would have been awesome if completed and inserted into the film - even down to Han Solo responding to the Imperial Officer: "SCUM?!" That one line is just so Han Solo!
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

It sounded like the the noise the dianoga makes when the heroes are in the hallway drying off has been changed.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

Also, when Aunt Beru calls to Luke, she says "Tell your uncle..." instead of the old "Tell uncle..." It also sounds like they added an echo to her voice, but I haven't compared.

Anakin during the Battle of Naboo in TPM still yells "Tthis is titts!", so I'm glad they didn't change that.