Page 24 of 34 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Serg, I see what your talking about with the wire loops. I probably wouldn't have known they were inaccurate until you told me. Its an awesome looking prop. I don't know exactly what it is about it, but I really want one now. As for the link you posted, those were the pics that inspired me to try out this project. I'm taking alot of inspiration from those.

JT, I see what you and Serg are saying about how plain it is. It needs more than just one color of weathering. I am a little reluctant to do too much around the phlange area. In normal light, it really looks like it was left out in the rain, water pooled up in the corners, and made it rusty. I think I'm going to add in some of the black smudges/weathering and see what it does for it. I have to be really careful from here on out. The wrong color or too much more weathering will screw it up. I've been mixing the paints with thinners and rubbing alcohol on a sponge and just dabbing it and wiping it off. I've kinda got a technique that seems to work fairly well. It really didn't take near the experimenting I thought to get something to looks decent. I'm going to work on it tonight and hopefully have some pics up soon. I have a Sony camera I got about 7 years ago that I've been taking pictures with. I'll give your suggestions a try, or try to light it a bit different when I'm taking pics. Thanks for the suggestions.

Replica Prop Forum (RPF) is indeed great for both inspiration and acquiring kits or finished models

Good luck in weathering this bad boy furher, waiting for new pics
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    Serg, I see what your talking about with the wire loops. I probably wouldn't have known they were inaccurate until you told me. Its an awesome looking prop. I don't know exactly what it is about it, but I really want one now. As for the link you posted, those were the pics that inspired me to try out this project. I'm taking alot of inspiration from those.
    Reading Serg's posts often has the infection of making the reader want one.

JT, I see what you and Serg are saying about how plain it is. It needs more than just one color of weathering.
    I didn't say it was plain, I hope you don't think it is, compare your clean pics to this, there's no doubt that it's not plain at all. I just think that without a second color, it looks like something different from the screen-universe type of visual appeal.

I am a little reluctant to do too much around the phlange area. In normal light, it really looks like it was left out in the rain, water pooled up in the corners, and made it rusty.
    Which flange are you talking about, the collar at the bottom of the neck or the vertical one that rings the face with the rivets? If he was left out in the rain, he'd be on his back to get that area rusty. I hear ya though, those areas often do have more buildup because they're pounded by wind and they're harder to clean out, often see painters put extra at any seam for that reason.

I think I'm going to add in some of the black smudges/weathering and see what it does for it. I have to be really careful from here on out. The wrong color or too much more weathering will screw it up. I've been mixing the paints with thinners and rubbing alcohol on a sponge and just dabbing it and wiping it off. I've kinda got a technique that seems to work fairly well. It really didn't take near the experimenting I thought to get something to looks decent. I'm going to work on it tonight and hopefully have some pics up soon. I have a Sony camera I got about 7 years ago that I've been taking pictures with. I'll give your suggestions a try, or try to light it a bit different when I'm taking pics. Thanks for the suggestions.
    If you're concerned about not ruining the base layer, perhaps you might want to give it a non-permanent first attempt with something temporary that can be washed off without removing that first layer. But I do think you have the right idea about how you're doing the paint applications so I doubt you'll get into too much trouble, and as you said, you didn't have to work hard to get it looking the way you wanted in the first time.

As for the pics, those techniques should work pretty well, I've had to adapt so many different methods to different cameras to get a "true" light experience that I've honed it down to the most effective and easiest. I know a lot of folks like the sun, but that requires knowing a little more - it's a great light source but is moving and overwhelmingly bright so correction can be needed.

Anyway, I really look forward to seeing how any touchups turn out, I suspect they'll be very satisfying.

So, this CZ-3 leaves me with a question for prop fans, do you prefer your protocol-type droids to come with a "collar" at the base of the neck the way this CZ-3 and the Riddell Mini-Helmet 3PO do, despite the collar being part of the torso?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Some recent acquisitions:

- Original blue cap radiation dosimeter used by Imperial officers as code cylinders. Comparison with the regular radiation dosimeter/code cylinder (the ones used by General Tagge & Chief Bast)

- And a set of quite accurate AT-AT Driver helmet tusks. And comparison with the Elvistrooper versions present on my white Laws AT-AT Driver helmet

PS. I totally hate the way the images attach on SSG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comparison Imperial Code Cylinders.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	27651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AT-AT Driver helmet tusks 02.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	48.0 KB 
ID:	27649   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AT-AT Driver helmet tusks 03.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	27650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AT-AT Driver helmet tusks 01.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	51.8 KB 
ID:	27648   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperial Code Cylinders blue cap 01.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	23.5 KB 
ID:	27652  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperial Code Cylinder General Tagge.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	44.6 KB 
ID:	27653   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperial Code Cylinder Tarkin & Bast.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	27654   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Imperial Code Cylinders blue cap  Tarkin.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	27655  
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

Cool items. So where did you get the new set of tusks from?

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    Cool items. So where did you get the new set of tusks from?
    There is a guy Zombiekiller on RPF who made them.
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

I'll have to remember that when/if I get my ATAT driver helmet. Maybe a dumb question to ask, but how do you go about replacing them? Do you just pry off the old ones and glue on the new, or do you have to be alot more careful?

I didn't replace mine yet.
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

My mistake. I thought I'd read that you had replaced them already once.

I replaced the resin tusks on the old gray fiberglass AT-AT Driver lid, which I sold before I got the Laws gray one. The fiberglass AT-AT helmet had originally resin tusks and I replaced them with Elvistrooper ones. But on the new gray Laws I already had Elvistrooper metal tusks. Maybe this summer I'll replace those with the ZK tusks I just got.
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback