Page 32 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2228293031323334 LastLast
    I worked at a living history museum for a number of years where I worked in two of the parks time periods, I then did some reenacting, French and Indian War, American Revolution and War of 1812 so all well before you're time period ST. I've also had an interest in WW II for years and there are/were several kits I'd like to put together. I've thought those helmets from the Big One were cool and have wanted one for quite some time.

Thats pretty cool about the living history and reenacting. Did you have to come up with your own uniform for the reenactments, or were they provided for you? I would think repro uniforms of that time period would be rather pricey. When my wife was younger, she volunteered over at a local museum, which has a village as a part of it. It wasn't technically living history, but she would dress up as a pioneer girl and run around the village. She enjoyed it immensely and, to this day, could talk about it for hours. I wouldn't mind seeing some WWI reenacting, but the closest ones are several states over. I haven't shopped around for WWII helmets much, but if you look around, I think you could find some pretty decent repros for a good price.

When I worked at that living history museum you were provided clothing/gear but over time I started buying my own. There are places where you can buy clothes but the authenticity varies. I had some stuff made by people I know who I know do good work and is authentic, and yes it can be/was pricey.

Once there was a WWI encampment about an hour away at a historical society, I went there and of course they had already packed up and left for the weekend (early).

Heres an update on my Vader project. I finally finished painting the armor. Finding the correct paint was a real nightmare. The semigloss black was the easy part. The silver paint was another story since there was no real consensus on what they used for ANH. I experimented with several paints but was never really happy with their appearance. I finally settled on Tamiya TS-38 Gunmetal, which was recommended by some in the vader community. I was very happy with how the color turned out. Its a darker silver than the pictures show, which matches up well with the screen used armor. The shoulder armor is a little more like how it actually appears. I was also able to get the "brush stroke" effect with the paint as well. I'm actually proud of the job that I did.

The next job is to attach the shoulders an figure out what kind of padding I need since how it sits on the shoulders makes a big difference in its overall appearance
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 728.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	40.9 KB 
ID:	28435   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 730.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	28436   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 737.jpg 
Views:	5 
Size:	48.2 KB 
ID:	28437   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 729.jpg 
Views:	4 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	28438   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 731.jpg 
Size:	40.5 KB 
ID:	28439  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 738.jpg 
Size:	46.1 KB 
ID:	28440   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 743.jpg 
Size:	52.5 KB 
ID:	28441   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 732.jpg 
Size:	35.9 KB 
ID:	28442   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 746.jpg 
Size:	32.1 KB 
ID:	28443   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	yellowstone2014 745.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	28444  

Awesome!! Congrats! The helmet and armor look really great. What is that bust they are on?

eFX Darth Vader Legend #130 joined my collection. A very cool rough helmet, and even better was the fact that I was able to compare both the Legend and the Limited Edition closely.

Wish I could take detailed comparison photos of the two, but the weather is rainy and I also decided to put the LE in its original box. This is because I don't have a place to display it, and there is a pending local buyer for it, which makes me very happy that it most likely won't leave my country.

Not too impressed about the Tsuneo Sanda print the helmet came with. But really impressed by the best offer price I was able to get the helmet with. In the end I simply couldn't pass on such a great deal, which would have been perfect even for an US customer, not to mention an international buyer where shipping, taxes, VAT etc. would make so hard to get it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eFX Darth Vader Legend Edition helmet 31.jpg 
Size:	87.8 KB 
ID:	28445Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eFX Darth Vader Legend Edition helmet 33.jpg 
Size:	72.0 KB 
ID:	28446Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eFX Darth Vader Legend Edition helmet 34.jpg 
Size:	66.8 KB 
ID:	28447Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eFX Darth Vader Legend Edition helmet 38.jpg 
Size:	58.2 KB 
ID:	28448Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eFX Darth Vader Legend Edition helmet 44.jpg 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	28449Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eFX Darth Vader Legend Edition helmet 45.jpg 
Size:	70.9 KB 
ID:	28450Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eFX Darth Vader Legend Edition helmet 01.jpg 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	28451Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eFX Darth Vader Legend & LE helmet 01.jpg 
Size:	47.2 KB 
ID:	28452

And a youtube video of the Legend Vader:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyiOwOtL-vc
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

I displayed it temporarily on my stormtrooper. Basically just removed the helmet and chest armor and put the vader helmet and armor in its place. I'm in the process of changing the dummy my RS stormtrooper armor sits on. I would've posted pictures of it, but I"m not really happy with how it sits on there, so I'll wait until the new one arrives.

The Vader legend looks great. I always liked the brush stroke detail. Glad you were able to get a great deal on it. I had debated about getting the legend originally, but thought the $200 price difference for just a paint job was a bit steep. I kinda wish I had one now.

Nice work on your Vader, surprised the silver was so difficult but looking at pics of the original online shows the same problem that happens with a lot of screen-famous costumes: on-set lighting causes a notable shift in how it looks in person vs. in-camera (and that was before Lucas' color meddling of the SEs and Blu Ray editions). The brush strokes look nice, that's something I couldn't be happy with no matter how accurate it was if I was doing it, which is why I don't.

Cool get Serg, looks really nice, and I'm glad you're happy with it. I must admit, every time I photograph those eFX things, I wonder how you'll like them, you seem to be the voice I hear when I look at stuff that tries to be ultra-accurate.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Nice work on your Vader, surprised the silver was so difficult but looking at pics of the original online shows the same problem that happens with a lot of screen-famous costumes: on-set lighting causes a notable shift in how it looks in person vs. in-camera (and that was before Lucas' color meddling of the SEs and Blu Ray editions). The brush strokes look nice, that's something I couldn't be happy with no matter how accurate it was if I was doing it, which is why I don't.
    The lighting really confused me. In some screen pics the silver looks really dark, almost black. I tried a black metallic, but on the test, it was way too dark. I tried different variations of lighter paint, but they were all wrong. Several people at the prop den recommended the Tamiya gunmetal and when I tried it, I knew instantly that I liked it. It was so easy JT, I really bet you could paint it and be happy with it. I'm usually quick to see the flaws in my work, but I was extremely satisfied with how this paint job turned out.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    I displayed it temporarily on my stormtrooper. Basically just removed the helmet and chest armor and put the vader helmet and armor in its place. I'm in the process of changing the dummy my RS stormtrooper armor sits on. I would've posted pictures of it, but I"m not really happy with how it sits on there, so I'll wait until the new one arrives.

The Vader legend looks great. I always liked the brush stroke detail. Glad you were able to get a great deal on it. I had debated about getting the legend originally, but thought the $200 price difference for just a paint job was a bit steep. I kinda wish I had one now.
    When your Vader bust and display will be finished it will easily put the SSC 1:1 bust to shame. Yours will be so accurate and cool. The SSC 1:1 Vader bust is great and impressive, but no too accurate, seeing that SSC got cheap and simply recasted a Portumac helmet for their bust (in exchange Portumac recasted the exclusive SSC Vader stand LOL).

Wish I had the space to hold on my eFX LE Vader lid and thus follow your steps in making a bust. But no more space in my collection. Will be watching what you are doing as an inspiration and hoping that one day an accurate bust like yours will be in my collection too.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post

Cool get Serg, looks really nice, and I'm glad you're happy with it. I must admit, every time I photograph those eFX things, I wonder how you'll like them, you seem to be the voice I hear when I look at stuff that tries to be ultra-accurate.
    Thank you. Te Legend Vader is the most accurate licensed ANH Vader out there. For the best of the best, we need to look in ANH terms to SL and to ESB to TM. But for now Legend Vader is enough. I am glad now I passed on the direct eFX sale because it would have cost me so much more with taxes and shipping. Now after selling the LE (talked to the Romanian buyer by phone yesterday and has half the money ready - thus soon...), there are also a few things I would like to get in the future like a SL, a MGC C1, MR AT-AT LE (to join my SE), maybe an Attakus Vader 1...
    Collecting has the permanence of herpes, it mutates but doesn't go away
    MY COLLECTIONS
    My trade feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    The lighting really confused me. In some screen pics the silver looks really dark, almost black. I tried a black metallic, but on the test, it was way too dark. I tried different variations of lighter paint, but they were all wrong. Several people at the prop den recommended the Tamiya gunmetal and when I tried it, I knew instantly that I liked it. It was so easy JT, I really bet you could paint it and be happy with it. I'm usually quick to see the flaws in my work, but I was extremely satisfied with how this paint job turned out.
    I notice that Hasbro and Sideshow have gone with that gunmetal look to greater success, now that you mention it. 15 years ago it used to seem strange, now it seems normal, I suppose we can assume that's why. Good to hear it worked out for you.

As for the paint, I'd obsess over every painted line, "that brush stroke isn't straight enough... that next one is too straight... every 7th line is similar!" that sort of thing, it's hard for me to let go and be happy with my own work.

Quote Originally Posted by sergiurusu View Post
    Thank you. Te Legend Vader is the most accurate licensed ANH Vader out there. For the best of the best, we need to look in ANH terms to SL and to ESB to TM. But for now Legend Vader is enough. I am glad now I passed on the direct eFX sale because it would have cost me so much more with taxes and shipping. Now after selling the LE (talked to the Romanian buyer by phone yesterday and has half the money ready - thus soon...), there are also a few things I would like to get in the future like a SL, a MGC C1, MR AT-AT LE (to join my SE), maybe an Attakus Vader 1...
    Are the unlicensed helmets done by a factory as well? For me, that's the most impressive part, that eFX is able to get their factory to put out licensed accurate lids over and over again.

Glad to hear you got a good price, it's a shame how difficult it can be to get this stuff into the hands of fans overseas, especially since it comes to our shores in the US from overseas to begin with.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.