Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Death Star Trench Run

Unless anyone knows anything about this I think it is a total mismatch. Packaging the newer X-wing with the same old Darth Vader Tie fighter? I think its a pass unless I can be enlightened.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	trench run.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	25416

Saw this today and decided to pass for $100. If it goes on sale for 60 or less I'll pull the trigger. It looks like a slightly different deco on the TIE and I liked the cockpit upgrade on the X-wing, but nothing I'm desperate to have.

slightly different is a steep $100 as far as im concerened.

I liked how the X-wing looked, but there wasn't anything about DV's TIE Advanced that is appealing whatsoever, I haven't liked that mold in a decade now, ever since they stopped releasing Kenner's old TIE Fighter and started upgrading cockpits and wings. I might have talked myself into getting the set based on the concept and the X-wing, but the X-wing has traditionally gone for $40 with 2 figures lately, the DV TIE goes for $20, Vader goes for $7-9, so that's at best $70 of product right there, all for the amazing low-low price of $100. That makes NO SENSE WHATSOEVER on its own merits.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

And, at TRU, it's an unlikely candidate for clearance anytime soon.

It's really a shame, I like all the new features of the X-Wing but there is no justification for that price. Would've made more sense to me if they had just released the X-wing by itself in vintage-retro packaging.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    It's really a shame, I like all the new features of the X-Wing but there is no justification for that price. Would've made more sense to me if they had just released the X-wing by itself in vintage-retro packaging.
    Yeah, they've really let the X-wing fall to the wayside over the last 5 or 6 years, only releasing it in expensive packs that don't have the kid appeal or the classic vintage style.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Haven't they re-released the 1978(?)/1996(?) version in the last five years as well? It looks like they've got it in their heads that the nice X-Wing is only for grownups.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Haven't they re-released the 1978(?)/1996(?) version in the last five years as well? It looks like they've got it in their heads that the nice X-Wing is only for grownups.
    The last time was in the OTC in 2004. That mold is pretty crappy, so I do think it would be good to get the better mold out by itself without a bunch of extra stuff everyone already has.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

The Kenner mold isn't as bad as you think, it just has some wonky stuff that needs adjusting for the modern age, like the faux-R2 button and the cannons being rotated the wrong way, and the cockpit interior being kinda blah. But its wings don't sag, it has great woosh factor, and it's a kid-pricepoint-friendly size. The X-wing is one of the most iconic SW vehicles ever and it's simply not available to kids - that IMO is a huge mistake.