Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Starspeeder 1000!

An image in the latest Insider shows the upcoming Disney exclusive Starspeeder 1000 from Star Tours. This has been mentioned before by Disney, but never shown until now. It's made to fit with the Hasbro line, but not necessarily tooled by Hasbro, from what I understand (though that may have changed since it was first announced). The issue mentions that it will have "10 functioning passenger doors pop-out laser cannons, removable roof, changeable destination screens, removable R2-D2, I-360 camera droid, and authentic lights and sounds from the attraction itself." It can hold 9 figures as well as a pilot, and will cost $54.95 when it comes out in December. Due to its price I bet it will be at the parks for a little while, but this looks pretty awesome.

Hasbro denied having anything to do with its design a year ago:

JediDefender.com:
    There was a big surprise swirling about at Celebration V, with the unveiling of what appears to be a 3.75" Figure scaled Starspeeder vehicle from the Disney Star Tours ride! People were immediately talking about this one, especially since slides appear to show a vehicle that's pretty big. Do you have any details on this you could share with us, regarding anything from price, to possible pack-ins, or features? It's a very simple, but cool design, so this one really has people curious.
    Hasbro: We don't know anything about this. If it is being developed, it's something that the Disney folks are doing, rather than Hasbro (similar to Mickey/R2-MTSthat was all Disney). Sounds cool though!

The picture shows a Hasbro R2-D2 in the droid slot (and not even a newer model), but the door design doesn't look a thing like a Hasbro design touch, very different take. So I dunno. But I am excited to get this and the price seems fairly reasonable for what's promised. I'm really glad I got that Star Tours figure set (the figures shown with the speeder) instead of the other one as this looks like a home run together.

I do wonder if the details will be stickers though, they look pretty complex for a paint job. I could even imagine the exterior being several large stickers. But after all these years, the dream finally becomes real. I hope it has room for the old Captain Rex droid figure as pilot.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Okay, someone who jumps on this will have to let me know if it's worthwhile. It looks cool; I'm just a bit iffy about a third-party vehicle that I know little about.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Okay, someone who jumps on this will have to let me know if it's worthwhile. It looks cool; I'm just a bit iffy about a third-party vehicle that I know little about.
    I'll let you know, I'll be buying it (thanks, premium AP discount!).

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Are there any details on where it will be available? I'm assuming the parks (which is convenient for maybe 5% of people,) I'm. Hoping it will also either be online or in disney stores.

Quote Originally Posted by mtriv73 View Post
    Are there any details on where it will be available? I'm assuming the parks (which is convenient for maybe 5% of people,) I'm. Hoping it will also either be online or in disney stores.
    I'm thinking the parks only. None of the other Star Tours stuff is available anywhere else. But you can call them and order, usually.

Disney DelivEARS (I kid you not) is the Disneyland park purchasing service: 800-362-4533

Walt Disney World has a different version: 407-363-6200

You can see it in action in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...8qCVkGE#t=966s
    I've cued it up to the 16:06 mark when it's featured. The video goes to 720HD, so make sure to set it to that.

$55 at late December (in WDW anyway), and it looks really good. More interestingly perhaps, it also looks like way more toy for $55 than we'd get from Hasbro, and that kind of annoys me that Hasbro can't deliver something this size anymore without a lot of excuses. This $55 Starspeeder 1000 is designed right from the ride, it has moving features, authentic electronic sounds (although I think Hasbro has to license those from LFL), an interchangeable front screen, a removable roof, and a bunch of seats; and it looks really solid, not at all the flimsy piece of junk I was imagining.

Wow.

If I were Hasbro, I'd be hiding in shame right now.
    Tommy, close your eyes.