Page 1 of 14 1234511 ... LastLast

Major League Baseball 2012

This is a new baseball season thread started right after the Cardinals beat the Rangers to win the World Series.

The first post-season October 2011 trading news can start here.

The most noted moves in my neck of the woods were Padres management and Red Sox management heading for the Chicago Cubs.

(Epstein, Hoyer, and McLeod) They were all Red Sox before and my conspiracy-theory mind thinks all the maneuvering was done to orchestrate the Adrian Gonzalez trade and take him away from my Padres.

Certainly other late-season moves like Lance Berkman's made an even bigger difference, as I don't know why the Red Sox fell apart.

Now will the Phillies keep their dream-team rotation going into 2012? I was sure that would've helped them clinch it last season.

Texas? I didn't see them coming again. I figured on them being the AL West leaders. Only the Angels can challenge them for that. But it's not really a competitive conference. However, now they are the 2-time-in-a-row World Series losers. God that's gotta be awful for the Texans. However, I'd guess that if they don't fall apart, they might turn up as the AL West 2012 champions, too - unless the Angels can go the distance again.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

No, the big question is whether the Pirates' 2011 hope and promise means that they will end their North American team sport record 19-straight losing seasons streak. Or, will they have two full decades of disappointment?
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

LaRussa not being back in 2012 is a big deal, also it'll be interesting to see what happens to two certain free agent first basemen in the NL Central. One I think is gone (Fielder) and the other I thought would stay (Pujols) but now with LaRussa leaving I'm not quite as sure about that one.

We lost Master Yoda.

I believe he went with the packaged deal that sent Heath Bell to the Marlins (who are amassing quite The Force as it is for next season).

I am actually up to buy Spring Training Tickets. But why?

I think one day I'm in Arizona I'm actually going to have to skip my precious Padres game and go to the Angels' stadium (with a buddy that wants to go) and see Albert Pujols battle the Texas Rangers. Should be interesting.

Meanwhile: The Padres -

Pitchers lost: Wade LeBlanc, Aaron Harang, too.

Probable Starters:

1. Mat Latos
    2. Clayton Richard
    3. Cory Leubke
    4. Tim Stauffer
    5. ??? (Anthony Bass has started and done well before - his programming was done by R2D2 in the Padres' Star Wars bullpen)

Like I said, now Miami has the Star Wars bullpen (probably) as the Star Wars baseball galaxy has probably shifted to the Right (Coast) Side of The Force.

Catchers:

Hundley
    Baker
    Martinez (good nooB)

1st:

Anthony Rizzo?
    Jesus Guzman (very talented batter)

2nd:

Orlando Hudson? (I think we want to lose him)
    Logan Forsythe

3rd:

Chase Headley

Shortstop:

Jason Bartlett (we also may want to lose him)
    Everth Cabrera

I think infielder Alberto Gonzalez is gone.

Outfield:

Will Venable (if he can hang on)
    Mark Kotsay (if he hasn't aged too much)
    Cameron Maybin (the star)
    Chris Denorfia (he never ages...well, that much)

Bullpen pickup:

Closer Huston Street (will that do any good?)

Ernesto Frieri
    Luke Gregorson
    Joe Thatcher
    Eric Hamren (Clone Trooper)
    Josh Spence (Yoda's last padawan - soft-toss but very difficult to hit apparently)

and others I am forgetting.

Haven't heard of most of these guys?

That wouldn't surprise me.

And the off-season dealing continues on with Josh Byrnes as our new GM as the rest of our management ran off to Chicago.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I forgot to add this from last season:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1080036.jpg 
Views:	84 
Size:	76.2 KB 
ID:	25660   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	25661   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P1000310.jpg 
Views:	62 
Size:	64.5 KB 
ID:	25662   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a3.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	82.4 KB 
ID:	25663  

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I am actually up to buy Spring Training Tickets. But why?
    Spring training is fun, its cheap and you're in Arizona in March, what isn't to like?

So the Angels get an aging vet for their bench (they HAVE to play last year's rookie phenom at first, you know) and a lefty spot-starter, eh?

And what about the Marlins spending more in free agency this off season then in the last 14 off seasons combined!

Miami apparently has more moolah than Florida, I guess.

But hey, Nate McClouth is back! And Ross Ohlendorf is not. For the Pirates. They play baseball, too. In the MLB even.

I don't know if this should go in the 2011 or 2012 thread but breaking news is that Ryan Braun tested positive for a ped and will get a 50 game sit down, although he is protesting the positive testing.