Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    It's not looking good... Then again, neither has this season.
    Ya just gotta believe! In both scenarios; Pittsburgh's tied for first!
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Ya just gotta believe! In both scenarios; Pittsburgh's tied for first!
    Tiger fans have to thank Dusty Baker for that win. Two inning saves never work, especially when your closer had worked the previous two games.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

The s have the 5th-best NL record, are one game out of first in the Central, and hold one of the two Wild Card spots. Nice comeback last night on the road vs. the Cards. And they're hitting better, too. Keep up the good work, Buccos!

Keep on rollin' and raise the Jolly Roger! Buccos are alone in first, have the 2nd-best record in the NL and 4th-best in MLB. Stay hungry, my friends! Arr!

The Padres are in 4th Place.

It's not dead last. Should I celebrate?

Well, I don't know if we can catch Los Angeles and San Francisco.

If we're dead last we'll catch the No.1 draft picks.

Here's some pics of me and the players I had taken at Spring Training.

I'm with Jesus Guzman, Chase Headley, Cameron Maybin, and John Baker.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Metalmute View Post
    Tiger fans have to thank Dusty Baker for that win. Two inning saves never work, especially when your closer had worked the previous two games.
    Tell that to Rollie Fingers and other relievers from the 70's and 80's. #YesIknowthewayrelievesareusedhaschanged

I am confused. I always thought the "save" meant the following:

- pitch the last 3+ innings of a game where your team has the lead, regardless of the run differential, without giving up a lead or tying up the score
    - enter a game with the lead, and be the final pitcher used, when the run differential is 3 or less, and give up 2 or less runs
    - pitch the ninth (or last) inning when the run differential is 3 or less, and give up 2 or less runs
    - record the final out when the run differential is 3 or less, and give up 2 or less runs; or if the run differential would be equal to 3 if the inherited runners on base scored without tying the score (i.e. it's 6-2 with the bases loaded, it could still be 6-5 if all three baserunners scored)

I've seen pitchers get saves in other situations than those (no, I can't recall specifics, sorry). Am I wrong? Have the save situations changed even more than the get-six-good-innings-from-your-starter, two-innings-of-middle-relief, then the 9th-inning-closer aspect?

You're pretty close there BCJ, this was more or less the original rule
    1. He is the finishing pitcher in a game won by his team;
    2. He is not the winning pitcher;
    3. He is credited with at least ⅓ of an inning pitched; and
    4. He satisfies one of the following conditions:
      1. He enters the game with a lead of no more than three runs and pitches for at least one inning
      2. He enters the game, regardless of the count, with the potential tying run either on base, at bat or on deck
      3. He pitches for at least three innings

There were a few changes made...

In 1974, tougher criteria were adopted for saves where the tying run had to be on base or at the plate when the reliever entered to qualify for a save (unless he pitched three innings).[11] This addressed saves such as Ron Taylor's in a 20–6 New York Mets win over the Atlanta Braves.[12][13] The rule was relaxed in 1975 to credit a save when a reliever pitches at least one inning with no more than a three-run lead, or comes in with runners on base but the tying run on deck. Rolaids in 2000 started recording a tough save when a pitcher enters a save situation with the potential tying run already on base, but still earns the save. [11]

I didn't know about the "on deck" part. That would explain getting a save in a 5-1 game or something. I've never heard of a "tough save" before. Like the hold stat they're trying to get for middle relievers? it "exists," but isn't recognized as a legit statistic?

And the tigers are at .500! Bout time!
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-