Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2891011121314 LastLast
    If people didn't understand the infield-fly rule before...

BEL-CAM'S TOP 10 BASEBALL RULES OFTEN MISUNDERSTOOD:
    10. turning left after running to 1st
    9. passed ball/wild pitch
    8. baserunner hit by ball & out
    7. running outside/inside the baselines
    6. appeal throw to a base
    5. "in the area" double play throw to 1st by 2nd baseman
    4. infield fly rule
    3. ground rule double/automatic double
    2. catcher's interference
    1. balk
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

That's a pretty good list there BCJ, I don't think I'd argue with any of them. Although I'd like to add one if you don't mind...

11) Why is the DH a good thing?

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post

11) Why is the DH a good thing?
    It ain't a good thing....
    ¡Que la fuerza te acompañe!

Only thing "good" about it is how it allowed fielding-feeble players to show their hitting prowess longer, as well as Social Security-eligible pitchers to notch some more wins. Today, though, there are few "feared" DHs or regulars at that spot. :timetogoDH:
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Bel-Cam, please explain:

I played 2nd base all my life and I want to hear someone try and explain this one.

And this one:

And this one:

1. balk
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Bel-Cam, please explain:

I played 2nd base all my life and I want to hear someone try and explain this one.

And this one:

And this one:

1. balk
    5. If a ground ball is hit near the shortstop and he tosses/throws it to the second baseman, the second baseman is supposed to touch 2nd BEFORE (or at the same time) throwing to 1st to complete a double play. However, many second basemen "ghost touch" the bag and throw without touching it at all, or before they have possession of the ball. Umps often call the runner from 1st to 2nd out anyway.

2. No idea. Catchers get hit all the time by bats, but sometimes the ump sends the runner to 1st, sometimes not.

1. Again, no idea. I put the "throw to 3rd, then to 1st" pickoff attempt here.

And, how long has the 2-3 "wild card round" home/away scheduling been in place? Wasn't it 2-2-1? Reds and Tigers have an easy road now.

The wild card business was changed as of only this year.

The ghost touch is allowed in my Nintendo MLB video game.

I was taught by every coach I've ever had to touch 2nd and make it legit in a double-play. That's part of the competition.

Since I've honestly ALWAYS done it that way, I don't like the ghost touch even if it does make things easier. That's not how I was taught and I don't feel like it's "honest baseball."

I don't know how others feel, but I'm interested in this because that's my position and I think I do it "the right way."

I'm personally friends with David Eckstein and I am of the understanding that we both agree and (as a shortstop) he was a World Series MVP.

I'm actually going to e-mail about this. You could say I have a strong interest in what happens and how the calls are made around 2nd base.

The difference between being a fan and actually playing is that when I'm on the field I feel I can actually make a difference. Me screaming "bunt" or calling other plays from my season seats (in the OUTFIELD mind you) is not very effective. (The only time I'll probably admit that. Damn I wish I had the Padres' dugout phone number! I do NOT agree with all of Buddy Black's calls!)

As to the catcher thing - yeah it seems really arbitrary. I have played catcher only twice in my lifetime, due to necessity when I was on a strong prescription does of Prednisone for my kidney transplant and couldn't move fast like a middle-infielder and my team still wanted my bat in the starting line-up. I actually made 2 outs (1 assist) at the position but I do not like playing near where the anyone is swinging a bat that close (I like my head attached at its current location, thank you).

The balk confuses me, too. When it's the other team - call it as often as you think you have a chance to advance your runners. When it's your team - you never saw anything happen!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeEye7 View Post
    It ain't a good thing....
    I agree, it needs to go.

I would rather watch a professional hitter than a pitcher bat anytime. That being said, it needs to be one way or another, not both ways.

The 2-3 format is new for this year only and it's only because MLB pushed the second wild card in so quickly and so late that they did't have scheduling for the extra travel days.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Cincinatti will go all the way, I'd predict.
    And you would be wrong. Cincinnati imploded... HARD. Well, we at least made a historic first in MLB history. So we have that.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection