Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678
    That's another set I have yet to see. Don't think my WM got the Droids in, as well as the exclusives....hoping I didn't miss out on them this morning.
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

TRU had a bogo50%off sale this week, so I caved and bought the Naboo Royal Guard as well as a second Battle Droid (it was the BD or Quinlan Vos, and I just don't need another Vos figure in my collection; oh, they also had Daulty Dofine but no thanks, I don't care how good the figure is, Neimoidian figures are dead to me). The NRG isn't as bad as I thought, the rainbow is still lame AND there's more on the back of the helmet, but the helmet's sculpt looks good, the figure's head under the helmet isn't as blandly generic as helmet-on photos made it seem, the leathery tunic looks good and has a nice paint wash, the sculpt overall is good. The holster doesn't seem to be canon, and doesn't fit the blaster that well, but it's not unwelcome anyway. I like that the neck is short, a lot of figures like this have longer necks both for the ball-jointed head and the helmet's chinstrap, but it's not needed here and the figure looks better for it. The figure's one drawback IMO is that he can't hold his weapon with both hands in front of him the way the original could, it's their signature pose.

I haven't taken the second battle droid out of the package, the paint has a little more silver than the first one I got, but the head and backpack remain unweathered. My first BD is still standing on the stand without wilting, it's been 2 months.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, today the Battle Droid is leaning back about 10 degrees, and his right leg has wilted a very small amount. However, I think I might have bumped it earlier today or yesterday which knocked it back that 10 degrees, which in turn would have caused wilting since that leg was the only one pegged into the stand. I've pegged both feet into the stand, it's VERY wide which I'm worried will bend both ankles sideways, I will haunch it forward to see if it'll straighten the right leg though.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by mu5a5hi View Post
    Will this 'Pegwarmer Menace' wave ever go away?
    Not until the end of the year, I fear. We're going to be seeing these figures shipping in later waves at least through the middle of summer.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Not until the end of the year, I fear. We're going to be seeing these figures shipping in later waves at least through the middle of summer.
    Cue Lil' Orphan Annie: "Yippeeee!"

"Is it possible to purchase these new figures affordably?"
    "Not for a store buyer."
    "That's what Sheev said."

TRU is doing bogo50% for all Star Wars, and TVC is already 50% off, so I bought 3 more Battle Droids, another Maul, and finally got Darth Sidious (plus some Clone Wars figures).

Sidious is not as bad as I expected him to be. The figure's headsculpt is a tad off from his left side, another victim of Hasbro asymmetry, and also the eyes are "meaner", the lower face narrower, and the hairline too high, so it's got a little Tarkin to the look. The deco is too thick at the eyebrows and not enough gray at the temples, the eyes are too beady. The head essentially doesn't matter though beyond the chin and nose as the rest is well-hidden by the cowl which works fantastically, provided you take the effort to lift the figure's face up higher into it - it's packaged so you can see the whole face, but in practice you can get it so it covers everything above the nose and it looks much keener that way. The cowl integrates the robe clasp though making it a tiny bit too high, but that's a forgivable sin.

The new torso is a bit stubby, it works with the arms and legs but doesn't remind me of Ian McDiarmid's broader and taller build in the movie, yet this is largely hidden under the robes so it doesn't matter in practice. The limbs are recycled but well-sculpted to have decent style and articulation. The hands are new, they're very aged which isn't accurate and they're in odd poses that at first seem too extreme but actually work with holding the lightsaber in the right and 2-finger posing with the left, but more importantly they're designed to interlock for the "hands together" pose that the character is seen most often using in TPM. The cloth robes do make standing upright a little more challenging as they can push the figure ever so slightly, so a stand is recommended, but they're not longer than the feet unlike the recent Imperial Guard figure so a no-stand pose is possible.

The robes are not as unwieldy as they first seemed, although the sleeves don't cooperate well either. They're a nice black cloth, much better than previous attempts: no extreme pattern this time, just using the very fine natural pattern of the cloth, and they're lightweight without looking polyester or shiny or problematic. The sleeves are massive, as they were in the film, and they've been sewn in a few spots to keep them slightly reined in. Although difficult, it is possible to get the figure into having the sleeves together in front of him, and once that's done it's a pretty good imitation of the character in the film - futzing the shoulders and the openings of the sleeves is the real challenge, but makes it all worthwhile.

The figure comes with his saber lit, and his unlit saber hilt that plugs into his belt, both work fine and are well-painted (although the unlit saber is disturbing as its belt plug end is flesh-colored since they used that plastic instead of the clear). The figure doesn't seem quite right wielding a saber merely due to the character's machinations behavior of the film (and the fact that he can't see much with his cloak over his eyes) but if you have fantasies of TPM-era Sidious kicking butt, this figure is as good as it'll get.