Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Okay, JT, I realize this is a SW site, you're a SW guy, and this is a thread about SW-related convention questions. But I'm not going to Comic-Con this year, and I would REALLY appreciate someone (maybe someone awesome who sports a Farnsworth avatar?) posing this one to the Joe team. Granted, we don't have all the info, but this looks like one of the biggest clusterloves in a while.

There have been "budget Joes" at dollar stores, Marshalls, etc. They've pretty much always been Valor vs Venom repaints or re-releases on small cards, with a limited number of accessories. They don't get announced at conventions or sold through normal outlets because, well, no one gives a crap about inferior older figures, and it seems like they're more or less a way of making a buck off old molds.

Meanwhile, five easy repaints of existing 25th/ROC/POC/30th-style Joes that people have literally been begging for for years are vintage Snake Eyes IV (which sorta looks like he's wearing a hockey mask, and has four different colors, but looks strangely awesome), vintage Storm Shadow III (a black-and-white outfit he wore during the Ninja Force era, though it debuted slightly earlier), Devil's Due Shipwreck (wearing a ribbed sweater and a beanie--the head exists from the ROC line, and the ribbed sweater torso has been used on multiple figures), vintage Cobra Commander VI (plain-old hooded Cobra Commander, but in solid black), and the basic Cobra Trooper in different color schemes. And Hasbro seems unwilling to make any of them, despite three of them being some of the "we've got to include at least two of these guys in every wave" characters.

The Retaliation figure pics start showing up. I think they look pretty sweet overall, but I appear to be in a minority.

Suddenly, what appears to be a new wave of budget figures, on a new classic-styled small card, show up. Who are they? Snake Eyes IV, Storm Shadow III, Cobra Commander VI, DD Shipwreck, a Cobra Trooper in solid black, and Duke in green fatigues based on the Original 13 (well, ten of them, anyway--not one who was requested, but great for customs, and another of the "have to have two per wave" fellas). No fanfare, no advance notice, just one day a dude finds them in the Philippines, apparently in advance of an American discount store release.

So, what I can't help but wonder: how the hell did five HIGHLY-requested figures who were simple repaints (or minor kitbashes) wind up as budget releases... and appear to be causing far more excitement among collectors than the upcoming Retaliation line? (I'm not saying they were highly-requested just because I wanted them. We're talking the Kithabas and Ben Quadinaroses of the Joe world here. No, I take that back. These are Slave Leias and Smuggler Landos from the time before those figures actually existed, since they're new versions of old standby major characters that we actually want.) Seems like a weird reversal, the regular line being for kids and the budget line for adult collectors, especially since the discount distribution is wonky and uneven, at best.

And, maybe, if they can't or won't answer that, how about the possibility of getting them in a multipack exclusive, or making them available through HTS? (I'll take my chances with any retailer exclusive before trying to get six one-per-case figures at closeout stores, one of whom's an army builder that everyone on Earth, including myself, will want multiples of. Even K-Mart. No joke.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

That's a bit of a long one. I won't put it in our list since it's not SW, but I'll leave it in the thread to remind me.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

More and more figures in the Vintage Collection are being released with mismatched joints, where the color of the plastic hinge doesn't match the area around it (it's most noticeable on characters who wear black boots and the ankle hinge is molded in a color that matches their pants instead of their boots). We've asked about this before and were told that it was intended to keep down production costs on the figures themselves; but it seems to be getting more and more common in the last couple of years. Collectors are already paying a premium price for TVC figures, so it's a shame that action figures intended to represent the very best in sculpting, detail, accuracy and articulation are so frequently marred by a cost-saving measure that ultimately just makes the figure look cheap and unfinished. Exactly what would it take to ensure that this never happens again on any TVC figure? Another price increase?
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Where exactly is the Mandalorian Assault Transport? The last Hasbro said, all pre-orders on Entertainment Earth would be filled, but the expected release date continually gets pushed back. Now that it's been shown in the Season Five teaser, is there any chance this might get a re-release?

Speaking of cancelled items, whatever happened to the second Utai and Imperial Scanning Crew figures?
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

BB, it'd take about two bucks more per figure, I think. They're not the figure's base plastic, they're PVC so that'd require a second run on a different sprue (or a dual-injection of 2 different color batches into one mold, but that's likely to create mix that results in more wasted unusable product) and that's time-intensive (you'll notice bigger-budget items like the Han Tauntaun set have combinations of joint colors like you're hoping for). I'll add it though. They generally can't paint most of the joints because the PVC doesn't take paint well and the paint comes off anyway as the joint is used.

JJL, I'll add both, it's getting ridiculous that these items keep getting canned and pushed back.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Well, now we know that the Mandalorian Assault Transport is officially DOA, given that EE has cancelled everyone's pre-orders. But I'd still like to know what was going on there.

On another issue, why have they numbered cases in multiple lines so bizarrely? For Vintage, the TPM wave was Wave 1, the deleted scenes was 1.1, the Darth Malgus wave was Wave 2, the Evazan wave (delayed from 2011) was Wave 2.2, the Bespin Han repacks were 2.5, and now Tarkin is Wave 3. I can somewhat understand the fact that the repacks were folded into a case assortment, but the deleted scenes figures is still a strange one. Then again, Movie Heroes wave 1 (the all-repack/repaint wave) was Wave 0.5, the wave with the new TPM figures was Wave 1, and now the Vader/Luke case is Wave 2. It's the same for vehicles - the four TPM ships were Wave 0.5, and now the case with the Naboo Starfighter is Wave 1. I don't know if this is screwing with distribution or if it's just a harmless oddity, but it is indeed quite odd.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Not sure if this one is worth asking or not, but I'm a bit curious why there have been "discount store" lines for many of Hasbro's boy lines (Marvel driver figures on single cards, reissued Transformers, reissued Joe VvV figures and now the repaint line), but nothing for SW. Is it entirely a licensing thing?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I did not know the Mandalorian Transport was cancelled. I should stop looking for it at Target.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Well, now we know that the Mandalorian Assault Transport is officially DOA, given that EE has cancelled everyone's pre-orders. But I'd still like to know what was going on there.
    Altered to address change in situation.
    On another issue, why have they numbered cases in multiple lines so bizarrely? For Vintage, the TPM wave was Wave 1, the deleted scenes was 1.1, the Darth Malgus wave was Wave 2, the Evazan wave (delayed from 2011) was Wave 2.2, the Bespin Han repacks were 2.5, and now Tarkin is Wave 3. I can somewhat understand the fact that the repacks were folded into a case assortment, but the deleted scenes figures is still a strange one. Then again, Movie Heroes wave 1 (the all-repack/repaint wave) was Wave 0.5, the wave with the new TPM figures was Wave 1, and now the Vader/Luke case is Wave 2. It's the same for vehicles - the four TPM ships were Wave 0.5, and now the case with the Naboo Starfighter is Wave 1. I don't know if this is screwing with distribution or if it's just a harmless oddity, but it is indeed quite odd.
    Added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Not sure if this one is worth asking or not, but I'm a bit curious why there have been "discount store" lines for many of Hasbro's boy lines (Marvel driver figures on single cards, reissued Transformers, reissued Joe VvV figures and now the repaint line), but nothing for SW. Is it entirely a licensing thing?
    I'll add it, but I've not seen these at discount stores so if you could give me more background, it'd help me decide to ask it.

The might not be a worthy question, but I'd be interested in seeing it asked if only to offer them the idea if they didn't have it already, but:

We've had a number of Knights of the Old Republic releases to date now, including, Revan, Malik, Bastila, and HK-47, is there any chance we might seeing a multi-pack collecting these figures? Perhaps for the upcoming 10 year anniversary of the game in 2013?
    ~Umbra: Light is only a shadow cast by the darkness of the stars