Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678910 LastLast
    With regards to the Force FX Sabers (since that's what I'm most interested in anyway) I would like the question answered (not necessarily the suggestion about improving the designs, I just want to know what's happening with the line). If what JJL says is true, then I suppose the question could be stricken, but I went through as many SDCC write ups as I could find and none of them even mentioned the line at all. As JT said, it would be interesting to know why the line has stopped being represented at these events and why they are no longer making new models but if I'm the only one around here who cares, the time should probably be spent elsewhere. My personal sense is that this was one of the truly adult-centric items Hasbro produced (and as far as I can tell was relatively popular) but has fallen by the wayside. And frankly, if they blame poor sales, I blame them for Kit Fisto's lightsaber before any number of infinitely more recognizable sabers with the removable blade.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    With regards to the Force FX Sabers (since that's what I'm most interested in anyway) I would like the question answered (not necessarily the suggestion about improving the designs, I just want to know what's happening with the line). If what JJL says is true, then I suppose the question could be stricken, but I went through as many SDCC write ups as I could find and none of them even mentioned the line at all. As JT said, it would be interesting to know why the line has stopped being represented at these events and why they are no longer making new models but if I'm the only one around here who cares, the time should probably be spent elsewhere. My personal sense is that this was one of the truly adult-centric items Hasbro produced (and as far as I can tell was relatively popular) but has fallen by the wayside. And frankly, if they blame poor sales, I blame them for Kit Fisto's lightsaber before any number of infinitely more recognizable sabers with the removable blade.
    I care about FX, but like I said, I discussed it with Derryl just during a regular conversation and it wasn't really a noteworthy answer because the situation itself isn't really solidly one way or another, it's just kinda stuck being lower interest and hard to market in stores and get people talking about it again, they don't have the same business relationships that MR had with places that carry that sort of thing but not Hasbro sorts of things. The poor sales isn't from a specific failure of Kit Fisto or any saber, it's just something Hasbro is not particularly good at making work. I think we'd need a better question to push it towards the top.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The Force FX saber discussion is from the Yoda's News SDCC interview, which is a video. It starts right around the 1:19 mark.

I'll be able to better respond to everything else tomorrow; I'm too tired right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I want to represent all our interests but only if there's substance behind the question, I think that's what John means there too. AMP'D is a good example of a question that I feel should be sunk to the bottom, there's been no significant interest on our forums that I've seen. And as much as I want Force FX sabers to have a life, nobody is talking about them right now, Hasbro's just treading water with it - it's not dead but Hasbro didn't even bring it to Comic-Con - and our question for FX is a product idea, not a broader question so it's almost guaranteed to not have a positive response even if they like the idea unless they already thought of it and are secretly producing it. But as John said, we're not closed to ideas even now, if you have a suggestion on the order to make, put it together and show us how you'd try to get as many questions done in that 10 minutes with your idea.
    Yeah, you're correct. I'd be more than happy to take people's questions, but I don't think it's going to do anyone good if I'm intentionally going as broad as I can to hit on everything they do as opposed to digging into the meatier questions. I'm not going to bring up Fighter Pods since nobody here cares about them (including me).

The only reason I'd even want to ask about AMP'D is from a behind-the-scenes, business sort of perspective. It really doesn't fit my collecting interests, and seems to be geared towards kids more than collectors anyway, but I just find it interesting that they showed it at Toy Fair but ignored it completely at SDCC. That could be because they weren't focusing on showing 2012 product during the presentation, and perhaps they weren't ready for the show floor, but I wonder if they have quietly dropped the line.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I would be reticent to mention too many examples up front or too few (I do that a lot and have learned to tone it down), if you're going to mention Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan, find a 3rd but that's it, then if they ask for clarification have a few more up your sleeve.

But this absolutely shouldn't be the first question as it's a downbeat, accusatory question and you want to open stronger than that.

Also, you may not be able to dictate the order that easily, and if you have a downbeat question you are going to want to follow with something neutral or positive rather than go after another accusation. It's an ebb and flow IMO, an interview shouldn't put the interviewee on the defensive for too long at a stretch or they just shut down - you'll find Derryl can take it because he's been with the brand for a long time and he's a fanboy from birth, but you'll need to consider Jeff is also vital to the interview and he hasn't been with the brand long enough to develop that thick skin, he seems to take it pretty hard.
    There's Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon this year, and the same thing happened in late 2010 with ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan, though those figures were just nearly identical and not completely identical, so I'll bring those up as well. The other biggest pegwarmers in Movie Heroes right now are the three Separatist droids, but that's probably more because these figures simply just suck bigtime.

Okay, I see what you mean on being too accusatory. I absolutely want to include this question and I'll try to make it clear that I'm not just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, but I'll push it down the list a little bit.

I'll tread lightly with Jeff. Derryl's always been the most open and thorough with answers to questions, and Brian Parrish has been pretty open as well, while some of the others have been less so.

Yeah, I just copy-pasted this, rewrites are understandable. But keep in mind that since the announcement of the TVC Clone Wars trio of figures, there hasn't been a single new CW line mold, so it's not entirely false.
    True. Well, there's Maul and the Nightsister, but no basics. Still, even with no new molds, there's a glimmer of hope that the line will continue with the recently-leaked Wolfpack set with two clone repaints, so the line is at least going through 2012. I'd like to hear more on their 2013 plans for it before saying anything definitive, though I do need to keep in mind that there have been so few new animated figures this year.

We have a fairly strong Titanium Series following here on SSG, so even if they address it during the presentation, please try to get SOMETHING about Titaniums asked during the interview.
    Okay, will do. I don't collect these so I don't know too much about them, but I am aware of the repack sets. I'll have to go with the pre-existing question or whatever else you guys give me since I won't be able to just spitball very well on this line. Any other thoughts on what to ask if they do indeed announce the Shadow Squadron set?

The frustration level on this issue is high enough with the tone I've seen online that I think it should be asked during the interview, it's something people should hear in writing from an official interview.
    Okay, good point.

Oh, that reminds me, I haven't seen any other site's SDCC interviews yet, are they out there?
    Aside from the Yoda's News video I linked to, I didn't see that many.

JediDefender was the only other one I saw that had an actual transcript of the interview. It's pretty good, with some information on the vehicles next year.

Jedi Temple Archives posted a summary of the interview. Their question about how TPM affected future releases is basically a non-answer aside from knowing that the TVC wave held up subsequent waves and that Hasbro is working on new strategies. Do you think it's still worth it to ask more specifically what those strategies might be, or just drop it since they might just say the same thing?

Sandtroopers only updated with some thoughts and very small tidbits from conversations with the team; the biggest point that we didn't already know is that Pong Krell has been delayed past 2013, sadly. They were supposed to update with the actual interview, but it doesn't look like they have yet.

Galactic Hunter, Rebelscum, and JediInsider didn't have anything from what I could see.

I don't think there's enough connective tissue between the 2 questions to merit melding, one has to do with a specific oddity at the collar clasp while the other is a general question that affects more figures and IMO that makes it more important.
    I guess I don't mean to much combining them into one sentence so much as asking them one after the other to keep it organized and so the soft goods are on their minds.

I don't remember reading or hearing that anywhere. I spoke to Derryl about it and he said basically that but less final. Even if this is the case though, the "why" would be interesting if you get a chance (I think he said it was just tough to market and sell, which led into a brief conversation about HTS).
    Okay, yeah, the "why" could be good to know.

The lack of a recent CW BD makes this a more viable question perhaps, it creates the opportunity to fill a void in the line AND improve the quality of the product AND save on tooling since it already exists AND convince collectors to buy more BDs. That's a 4-way win! It's not high on my list either though.
    I asked Andrew (I think it was a guy named Andrew?), a team member who works on The Clone Wars stuff, if they might use the more articulated arms to make a battle droid that could do the two-handed pose back at CV. He seemed kind of peeved at something or other and said it was something they'd look into, which they obviously haven't. I'm more interested in a realistic battle droid that can hold the blaster properly, as the Vintage version can kind of be bent to do it but it's not ideal. If I can somehow combine both ideas it might be a better question.

Rarity is a good hook, plus sometimes they don't think of these sorts of things. If you can't ask it during the interview but you have Derryl and Brian Merten's attention at the same time, it'd be a great suggestion because I've seen them make these sorts of ideas bloom on the spot - suggest it as an Amazon or Gamestop exclusive, anything to get the idea germinating. They have the resources and time to make it work right now, but the window is closing.

All that said, it's not terribly high on my list of asks either.
    There are still a number of high-profile hard-to-find figures, and they did this a few years ago when they threw all the McQuarrie figures in a few boxes and sold them as exclusives, so I guess it's not out of the question. I'll think on how to make it better.

I don't see a clean way to combine them, but keep this question in mind during that question in case the opportunity to follow up is there.

Obviously if Chux isn't sure, then the question needs to be reworded to make it clearer because it could apply to the Discover the Force 3D line as easily as it could reflect their response to the 3D film releases.

"- How has your product line's release surrounding the TPM 3D cinematic release affected your plans for the future 3D cinematic releases?" it's a little awkward, got anything better?
    The more I think on it, the less I feel the question about the post-TPM 3D releases is essential. The JTA Q&A brought it up, and we'll know their plans for AOTC soon enough - we already know that they're not going whole-hog on it like they did for TPM, with several army builders from other films included in the first Droid Factory wave and hardly any AOTC figures in the second wave. I'm sure they'll touch on the other lines at Celebration. I guess I don't want to dwell on their failure too much, and they might not want to reveal all their plans just yet. They've also stated that they overshot the demand on it all, so I assume they'll cut back somewhat.

On the "are we gonna see TPM stuff still?" question, as I mentioned, I bet they'll just say that they'll to work it into the line wherever it fits, so I don't know if it's that important, actually.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    As I said, I'll be rewriting the questions once people chime in on the order a bit more.
    Seeing as you've asked for people to chime in, I'd really like to see the Utai question high enough on the list to get asked, it's one I've been waiting a long time for. It shouldn't take up much time as it's a pretty short question, and I would expect an equally short answer - probably along the lines of no plans at this stage, or they're still trying to find a space for it. But you never know, there might be a positive response, and at the very least it will remind them there is still some demand for these figures, especially since they already have the tooling/sculpting for them.
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

Quote Originally Posted by sebillba View Post
    Seeing as you've asked for people to chime in, I'd really like to see the Utai question high enough on the list to get asked, it's one I've been waiting a long time for. It shouldn't take up much time as it's a pretty short question, and I would expect an equally short answer - probably along the lines of no plans at this stage, or they're still trying to find a space for it. But you never know, there might be a positive response, and at the very least it will remind them there is still some demand for these figures, especially since they already have the tooling/sculpting for them.
    Sure, sounds good. Just for my own reference when I'm asking them . . . The second Utai was revealed at Comic Con in 2009, and the figure was taken out of the booth before it could ever be officially revealed. Here's the shot that first confirmed it.

And yeah, I want everyone's input, so keep the suggestions coming!

We are set up for an official 10 minute interview next week at Celebration VI!

The Force FX saber discussion is from the Yoda's News SDCC interview, which is a video. It starts right around the 1:19 mark.

I'll be able to better respond to everything else tomorrow; I'm too tired right now.
    Ugh, that was such a bummer. If Derryl doesn't know if there's one planned, that suggests to me that there's at least one plan on the drawing boards and it's just not going anywhere right now.

In any case, that answer should have been followed up with a "why" and sadly wasn't, so I guess that could be our job if you get the opportunity to ask it.

Man, I wonder why they didn't mic the questioner, I can't hear any of those questions.

Yeah, you're correct. I'd be more than happy to take people's questions, but I don't think it's going to do anyone good if I'm intentionally going as broad as I can to hit on everything they do as opposed to digging into the meatier questions. I'm not going to bring up Fighter Pods since nobody here cares about them (including me).
    Actually, we have several forumites who are interested in Fighter Pods, but they don't seem to have any questions (and why should they? The brand is pretty much exactly what it looks like on its face) so there's no reason to bring it up. If I thought there was a burning FP question that needed answering, absolutely it'd be in consideration.

The only reason I'd even want to ask about AMP'D is from a behind-the-scenes, business sort of perspective. It really doesn't fit my collecting interests, and seems to be geared towards kids more than collectors anyway, but I just find it interesting that they showed it at Toy Fair but ignored it completely at SDCC. That could be because they weren't focusing on showing 2012 product during the presentation, and perhaps they weren't ready for the show floor, but I wonder if they have quietly dropped the line.
    I hear ya, and that's why I'd ask it as well if I were in your shoes, but it's not priority. I would suspect either the licensor pulled it, a contractual issue was discovered, or retailers weren't interested.

There's Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon this year, and the same thing happened in late 2010 with ROTS Anakin and Obi-Wan, though those figures were just nearly identical and not completely identical, so I'll bring those up as well. The other biggest pegwarmers in Movie Heroes right now are the three Separatist droids, but that's probably more because these figures simply just suck bigtime.

Okay, I see what you mean on being too accusatory. I absolutely want to include this question and I'll try to make it clear that I'm not just being a jerk for the sake of being a jerk, but I'll push it down the list a little bit.
    I'm beginning to find concern about the goal of this question. If it's always Obi-Wan and a movie star and prequel droids, the answer to our question is already evident (popular, well known with kids, but collectors want upgrades - TVC cardbacks are sometimes seen as the only upgrade), so what are we trying to achieve by asking the question?

I'll tread lightly with Jeff. Derryl's always been the most open and thorough with answers to questions, and Brian Parrish has been pretty open as well, while some of the others have been less so.
    Don't tread too lightly if Derryl's with him, but yeah, be aware of whether or not you've got him - you can see it on his face in that YodasNews video you linked to. On the other hand, don't let his mood affect important follow-ups, make sure to get a "why" asked to any big thing you feel is warranted - "why" is the most important question in journalism.

As for Parrish, he's been transferred to PlaySkool, I think.

Okay, will do. I don't collect these so I don't know too much about them, but I am aware of the repack sets. I'll have to go with the pre-existing question or whatever else you guys give me since I won't be able to just spitball very well on this line. Any other thoughts on what to ask if they do indeed announce the Shadow Squadron set?
    Basically we're just asking about the future of the line, its health and possibilities. I can't think of another specific so I'll leave that angle to someone else. I personally am just a little frustrated with the repack 3packs being overpriced and delivering unexciting experiences, and why there's been no Battle Pack-type visual diorama packaging for a multipack like these - it's just 3 vehicles in a generic package.

Aside from the Yoda's News video I linked to, I didn't see that many.

JediDefender was the only other one I saw that had an actual transcript of the interview. It's pretty good, with some information on the vehicles next year.
    Much appreciation. That one alone has spawned a new question from me:

- At Comic-Con, Jeff told another site that the MTT's performance will significantly dictate how the 2013 line views another large vehicle launch. The MTT is not an exciting vehicle in general, it's slow and doesn't shoot in the films, it's not that "aggressive" style that Derryl has looked for in the past, the toy is built around a very specific gimmick which may only have limited appeal, it's higher-priced than the other big vehicles that size, and it was released half a year after Ep I in 3D came and went in theaters with little resonating impact. In short, the MTT was a risky choice and if it doesn't do well, why should its specific shortcomings be an indictment of big Star Wars vehicles in general?

A bit of a mouthful, I'll grant you, so it probably needs a rewrite, but I think it's an important question to ask - although kept at least in the middle of the opening salvo, question 5 or 6 at best. Also, if asked which ones, I'd go with Sail Barge - more aggressive, played a bigger role in the film; Acclamator assault ship - aka Republic Assault Ship, the AOTC mini Star Destroyer that fills with clones at the end, so it has Clone Wars play, and it's the fattest top to bottom so it's a better chance for a toy than other Star Destroyer designs; but honestly I don't really know if there's room for more big vehicles after the Sail Barge anyway, I'd struggle.

From JTA
    Many people attribute the rising cost of oil to the increase in prices for figures. While the price has hit those of us in the U.S. hard at the gas pump, it hasn’t had as big an impact on toys. Yes, there are increased prices in transportation and production, but it isn’t as influential on the price of figures as you would think, according to Hasbro.
    This is why I prefer direct quotes, that answer is unacceptable on its face and the exact wording is important because Hasbro for the last 5 years has pushed down our throats that the oil price increases were the primary cause of prices going up - not from materials, but from labor costs and transportation which they said was taking a HUGE hit in the line. Then again, maybe it's best to just let that one go.

Sandtroopers only updated with some thoughts and very small tidbits from conversations with the team; the biggest point that we didn't already know is that Pong Krell has been delayed past 2013, sadly. They were supposed to update with the actual interview, but it doesn't look like they have yet.

Galactic Hunter, Rebelscum, and JediInsider didn't have anything from what I could see.
    That's crazy! This really bothers me, I know it's very challenging work to do these interviews but it's important to the fandom IMO. I know they did more than 5 interviews, such a waste of a good resource if it doesn't get used to its fullest.

I guess I don't mean to much combining them into one sentence so much as asking them one after the other to keep it organized and so the soft goods are on their minds.
    I hear ya, but with such a limited resource that'd be a waste of what little we have, can't ask everything, gotta prioritize and if they aren't 1 question, one is going to have to wait until later in the interview or later in life. Or both will have to wait, who knows. But it's not fair to the other questions to ask 2 successive questions about the same thing, a lot of people are interested in a lot of Star Wars things and we need to cover a lot of ground for them too.

I asked Andrew (I think it was a guy named Andrew?), a team member who works on The Clone Wars stuff, if they might use the more articulated arms to make a battle droid that could do the two-handed pose back at CV. He seemed kind of peeved at something or other and said it was something they'd look into, which they obviously haven't. I'm more interested in a realistic battle droid that can hold the blaster properly, as the Vintage version can kind of be bent to do it but it's not ideal. If I can somehow combine both ideas it might be a better question.
    I don't think there's been an Andy or Andrew on the team in about a decade, but I could be mistaken. Might it have been Dave Vennemeyer, the head sculptor, wears a goatee? I can't imagine he'd bother shooting it down, especially 2 years ago, he'd just hand it off to Derryl who would say they'd consider it. Anyway, I agree that the 2-handed pose on the Vintage is more important but the walls on that one are so small that it's fragile and expensive, while the Clone Wars one is not only possible but already exists as separate tooling, so it's a freebie.

There are still a number of high-profile hard-to-find figures, and they did this a few years ago when they threw all the McQuarrie figures in a few boxes and sold them as exclusives, so I guess it's not out of the question. I'll think on how to make it better.
    The timing makes this valuable, the KOTOR anniversary next year (July 15th, '03), they have the HK-47, Bastila Shan, Revan, and Malak which is like half of the important characters in the game so it's a freebie, it gets 4 hard-to-find figures out again, it works exactly on its face because they're the only KOTOR figures and they're all HTF and the opportunity to do this is in range coming up for KOTOR's 10th anniversary. They're the most visually interesting major characters anyway so it doesn't even need another figure to hook it.

The more I think on it, the less I feel the question about the post-TPM 3D releases is essential. The JTA Q&A brought it up, and we'll know their plans for AOTC soon enough - we already know that they're not going whole-hog on it like they did for TPM, with several army builders from other films included in the first Droid Factory wave and hardly any AOTC figures in the second wave. I'm sure they'll touch on the other lines at Celebration. I guess I don't want to dwell on their failure too much, and they might not want to reveal all their plans just yet. They've also stated that they overshot the demand on it all, so I assume they'll cut back somewhat.
    It's a brand philosophy question, do they recognize that there was too much product, it was overhyped and late to market and dominated the brand for too long in '12 while the movie release itself didn't make much of an impact, so what have they learned from those situations and how will it affect them going forward? That's why I'd ask it, and pretty early on at that. I'm not remotely satisfied with the JTA answer.

On the "are we gonna see TPM stuff still?" question, as I mentioned, I bet they'll just say that they'll to work it into the line wherever it fits, so I don't know if it's that important, actually.
    Absolutely agree.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Don't want to overburden you, and certainly don't want to nix the Utai question, but it raised this one for me and might be better incorporated into it.

"There's been something of a pattern, not just with Star Wars but with several Hasbro action figure lines, where a planned figure is shown at a convention, people get excited, and then the figure is canceled--maybe it's a running change that doesn't happen, or its entire wave is canceled because of a forthcoming packaging change. And, then, that's the last we ever hear of that figure, though new figures that, presumably, are designed afterward continue to be released. What is the reasoning behind revealing sculpted figures and never releasing them, since it doesn't seem to make sense from our perspective for you to not release figures that are already close to 'ready to go' when they're shown to us?"

In other words (though not the words I'd use with Hasbro reps), "How the hell is it more cost-effective to make new molds and let ones you know people want rot? I'd think that if you had, say, the Utai, and people had expressed interest, but the wave was canceled because it was the end of a particular packaging style, he'd be first in line for the new cards."
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Sure, sounds good. Just for my own reference when I'm asking them . . . The second Utai was revealed at Comic Con in 2009, and the figure was taken out of the booth before it could ever be officially revealed. Here's the shot that first confirmed it.
    Excellent, thanks! And yeah, that's the picture... seeing it again makes me want that figure even more. It's really different (and IMO much nicer) than the one that was released.
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Don't want to overburden you, and certainly don't want to nix the Utai question, but it raised this one for me and might be better incorporated into it.

"There's been something of a pattern, not just with Star Wars but with several Hasbro action figure lines, where a planned figure is shown at a convention, people get excited, and then the figure is canceled--maybe it's a running change that doesn't happen, or its entire wave is canceled because of a forthcoming packaging change. And, then, that's the last we ever hear of that figure, though new figures that, presumably, are designed afterward continue to be released. What is the reasoning behind revealing sculpted figures and never releasing them, since it doesn't seem to make sense from our perspective for you to not release figures that are already close to 'ready to go' when they're shown to us?"

In other words (though not the words I'd use with Hasbro reps), "How the hell is it more cost-effective to make new molds and let ones you know people want rot? I'd think that if you had, say, the Utai, and people had expressed interest, but the wave was canceled because it was the end of a particular packaging style, he'd be first in line for the new cards."
    Examples of other canned figures?

Also, if this question were to go forward, allowances might have to be made - some of those figures are pre-tooling prototypes, and some tooling is never finished with these sorts of things. And another allowance is that retailers' buyers may not want those products, they may not have faith that the fat utai will sell at their stores and not buy a case that has it in them, so it may not make sense for Hasbro to continue with its manufacture when they can hold the tooling back for later release opportunities.