Hybrid View

Why Do We Have To Buy Stuff? Why Are We So Materialistic?

Every morning I can, I go to the toy isles.

If I don't find something new, I make up some excuse as to why I need to buy more of what I already have.

I buy stuff like Star Wars and Transformers to feed a hobby addiction. I don't really need it.

If I buy toilet paper and laundry detergeant, I feel like I LOST money because need forced me to purchase these things and it wasn't very fun. It didn't feel priviledged, in other words.

Now, if I can't find new toys that I like, because quite honestly, it's the least mature, least necessary thing I could ever pick up, I go to find and collect movies, TV on DVD, or music.

This consumerism continues unless I find travel or another expensive activity like horseback riding or piloting lessons to fulfill an impulse to instantly gratify myself, or a cheaper alternative, like going to a movie, occupies my time.*

*Yes, I work and challenge myself with my writing projects and philanthropies, but I'm talking about my time and money I'm not spending on these activities. Everyone has or can force out some extra time and maybe some money.

Why do we feel powerful or potent, if we can constantly buy stuff?
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    If I buy toilet paper and laundry detergeant, I feel like I LOST money because need forced me to purchase these things and it wasn't very fun. It didn't feel priviledged, in other words.
    I'm actually just the opposite. I think I see buying toys as a waste of money no matter how much I want the figure. If I have no money to spend on toys, because I spent it all on life's necessities, then I'm not bothered by that at all.

I've been able to narrow down several reasons why I buy action figures:

1. I always wanted the figure, so I'll go ahead and buy multiples.
    2. I owned the figure as a kid and think it would be cool to have the update.
    3. I never owned the figure as a kid, but always wanted it, so I should buy it now that I have the chance.
    4. I already own lots of other figures related to this one, so I should get it in order to "complete the set."
    5. If I don't buy it now, I might regret passing up on it later.
    6. My brother collects Star Wars too and this might be something that he wants for his collection.
    7. I had no intention of buying this figure, but it just looks so cool that I can't pass it up.
    8. I'm getting frustrated that I can't find the toys I really want, so I think I will buy whatever looks cool right now as sort of a consolation purchase.
    9. I just bought one of those rare figures that reminds me why I love this hobby so much in the first place and I'm on sort of a "collector's high" so I want to buy something else to see if I can somehow prolong that feeling.
    10. I've never had much luck with army building, but who knows? Maybe this time will be different.
    11. Everybody is talking about what a great figure this is, so I might as well buy it to see what all the fuss is about.
    12. New figure! Buy it now, think it over later!

If I'm not collecting Star Wars, then I'm collecting comic books or music downloads (previously CDs), movies, video games, etc. I think that there may be a collector's gene and most of the people on this board probably have it.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I've been able to narrow down several reasons why I buy action figures:

2. I owned the figure as a kid and think it would be cool to have the update.
    7. I had no intention of buying this figure, but it just looks so cool that I can't pass it up.
    9. I just bought one of those rare figures that reminds me why I love this hobby so much in the first place and I'm on sort of a "collector's high" so I want to buy something else to see if I can somehow prolong that feeling.
    11. Everybody is talking about what a great figure this is, so I might as well buy it to see what all the fuss is about.

If I'm not collecting Star Wars, then I'm collecting comic books or music downloads (previously CDs), movies, video games, etc. I think that there may be a collector's gene and most of the people on this board probably have it.
    I agree about the collecting gene/hoarder addiction. (My extended collections have included: comics, buttons/pins, posters, trading cards, SW, erasers, stickers, Transformers, GI Joe, Hard Rock Cafe shirts, orange soda cans, and probably more) And I agree with the above from your list (LISTS... :drool: ), BB. Mainly now, since just about every figure has been plastic-ized by now, it's the coolness factor combined with a sale price that has the toy end up in my shopping basket or grubby little hands.

I have passed up buying many figures lately; I gave up the "completist" gene partway through the blue AOTC card waves. If I like it, I'll consider it. And if the price is acceptable, I'll snag it.
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Well, I just saw a TV commercial, with a new online auction site for dating. Yes. Now you can bid against other people in order to go out with another person. Paying, for the opportunity to go out on a date. I do NOT want to see a "Buy Me Now" option, nor "Or Make an Offer." How can this even be legal? Does that address this thread's title?

I fear for humanity. That was not sarcasm.

I ask myself this question frequently. "This will be the year I quit." Alas, plastic crack is potent...

And I still wonder why there haven't been legit VHS versions of ROTS made, for all those addicted or "somewhat" addicted (raises own hand) to "complete sets," even with outdated technology.