Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

WARNING! Darth Plagueis: A Spoiler FULL Discussion Thread WARNING! (except 1st post)

This is the Star Wars novel I have been waiting for! I hope it answers a lot of questions.

Penned by James Luceno, my personal favorite Star Wars author (Labrynth of Evil, his best SW book up until now).

I have not bought The Tragedy of Darth Plagueis yet. So I will not return to this thread until I pick it up (in less than an hour from the time I'm starting this thread) until I've read into the novel.

I may post my thoughts as I progress, before I finish the whole book -so sorry if I skip your posts so that I'm not spoiled by them myself, until I complete the book.

But this is a civil way of letting all record their first impressions of every profound reveal as it happens.

Then when you're DONE reading the entire book, go back and delve into what others are saying beyond this first post.

THE FOLLOWING IS SPECULATION, I'd like to see confirmed by the book. I may be wrong. I HOPE for the following:

1. The Sith's plan from Plagueis on was to take over the Republic from within.
    2. Plagueis was a Muun (like San Hill) and knew an alien might not be elected, thus chose Sidious as his apprentice.
    3. As a Sith alchemist, Sidiuos created Anakin - possibly using Palpatine's human DNA! Yup. Maybe they're related.
    4. Obviously, Plageuis experimented on Shmi. He might have been a doctor in public life who said he was helping Shmi.
    5. Darth Plagueis will have a real name, like Dr. Sonjay Gupta or something, just like Sidious is Palpatine.
    6. Sith are supposed to kill their masters. Palpatine recruits Dooku for this. Ambushes and sends into exile, Anakin.
    7. Palpatine kills Plagueis and takes over. Dooku is his apprentice.
    8. To keep the Sith's ties secret, maybe even before Plagueis' death, Palpatine recruits Darth Maul and tattoos him Sith.
    9. Darth Maul is only like Ventress - a wannabe, not as powerful as the Masters who weild Force lightning, etc.
    10. Also, as a tattoo'd alien freak, there is no danger of Darth Maul running an Empire -the public won't accept Maul.
    11. Palpatine is safe from being assasinated by Maul because he's weaker, not fully trained, and not a public figure.
    12. In that Apprentice vs. Master game, Dooku gets the Separatist Army, Palpatine, the Clone Army
    13. With Maul eliminated and Anakin resurfaced, Sidious plans to use Anakin (Vader) to kill Dooku (Tyranus)
    14. Upon the verge of the birth of the Empire, these events happen in ROTS
    15. Were Anakin not forced into a scary war-droid life-support system, as a war hero, he could lead the new Empire
    16. The Empire would have an heir-apparent in its Sith Legacy with Darth Vader, publically Anakin Skywalker
    17. Obi-Wan Kenobi comes along and screws up those grand plans....

Anyway, that's how I'd write it!

In a short while, I'm going to pick up this book and find out what Luceno did. He's good. I've got some pretty high expectations.

Below this post will be SPOILERS from any and all, including myself.

You've been WARNED!

My recommendation is to post without reading the rest of the posts until you've completed the book. Then no one is censored and no one is spoiled.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I got the book the day it came out and have read a little over 100 pages so far, and I really like it. I would suggest reading "The Tenebrous Way," a short story by Matthew Stover in the latest Star Wars Insider, before reading the book. It gives the story of Plagueis' master, Tenebrous, who also appears in the novel. The stories go well together. Spoilers ahead . . .

Plagueis' real name is Hego Damask. It's not just an origin story for Plagueis or Sidious, but of much of the saga itself. There's a lot of politics and scheming, as the bankers on Muunilinst control a lot of the commerce and thus power of the galaxy (such as Gardulla's bid to take over Tatooine, the Trade Federation's influence in the Senate, and the royal elections on Naboo). Even with that angle, it's still quite compelling, or perhaps because of that.

I think I need to go read now.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Crap. This one snuck out.

Just placed a hold with the library. The book was "in processing," so I should, theoretically, be able to pick it up tomorrow.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Well, I actually bought this one (gift cards, membership, 40% cover), but have yet to begin it. Won't look at any posts here until I'm done.

"Did you ever hear the Tragedy of Darth Plagueis the Wise? It's a Sith legend...."
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Well, I actually bought this one (gift cards, membership, 40% cover), but have yet to begin it. Won't look at any posts here until I'm done.
    You mean besides the ones already in this thead?

Still not reading this thread yet (only 60-some pages in), but it's #5 on the hardcover bestseller list (that's high for a SW book these days).
    CU Later. Contracted Universe? Later. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Still not reading this thread yet (only 60-some pages in), but it's #5 on the hardcover bestseller list (that's high for a SW book these days).
    But still postin' in it! :snarky:

Well, I've not finished reading this thread, but I thought I'd confirm what of my speculation was right thus far.

Then we'll have real SPOILERS in the spoiler thread instead of just conversation, hehe.

THE FOLLOWING IS SPECULATION, I'd like to see confirmed by the book. I may be wrong. I HOPE for the following:

And Thus far, I'm right about:

2. Plagueis was a Muun (like San Hill)

5. Darth Plagueis will have a real name, like Dr. Sonjay Gupta or something, just like Sidious is Palpatine.

(I glanced ahead of where I'm reading, and I was correct about this, but I forgot his real name - which is good - because I haven't actually read far enough that I should know for sure.)

6. Sith are supposed to kill their masters.

7. Palpatine kills Plagueis and takes over. (We know this from the movies.)

12. In that Apprentice vs. Master game, Dooku gets the Separatist Army, Palpatine, the Clone Army (movie fact)

13. With Maul eliminated and Anakin resurfaced, Sidious plans to use Anakin (Vader) to kill Dooku (Tyranus)
    - seen in ROTS, but this book might confirm whether it was opportunistic of Sidious, or if it was his plan all along - and I mean BEFORE Qui-Gon Jin brought Anakin to the Jedi Temple. Did Sidious, and Plageuis for that matter, know about him? I don't think Dooku had heard of Anakin Skywalker until he showed up at the Jedi Temple in TPM.

14. Upon the verge of the birth of the Empire, these events happen in ROTS

15. Were Anakin not forced into a scary war-droid life-support system, as a war hero, he could lead the new Empire - well obviously that's how we get Darth Vader's iconic look in the movies, but how far back - even pre-TPM - was this a plan of Sidious' or especially Plageuis'?

16. The Empire would have an heir-apparent in its Sith Legacy with Darth Vader, publically Anakin Skywalker - only by ROTS was that Sidious' plan, as he explained it to Yoda during their duel on the big screen.

17. Obi-Wan Kenobi comes along and screws up those grand plans.... (we saw that in the movies - he trains Anakin and proves impossible to kill: Maul, Jango, Grievous, and even Dooku try on screen).

Some of my other speculation might also be correct, but I haven't read that far yet.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I'm not done yet, but HOLY CRAP, THIS BOOK IS HUGE!

I don't mean huge in terms of size, but in importance. Truthfully, we knew in early 2005, even without spoilers, how Episode III would go down (in broad strokes, at least), so I'd say it's even bigger than ROTS in terms of revelations and surprises.

The revelation about the true Sith Lords at the time of The Phantom Menace was so unexpected, I'm quite surprised Lucasfilm let them get away with it, even in this day and age of "Sure, bring back Maul for the cartoon, whatever."

Truth is, the events of this book have made me curious to see how Clone Wars figures into the big picture. Luceno patched over the massive incongruities in Maul's backstory quite deftly; everything from the Savage Oppress three-parter to Jude Watson's Episode I Journal: Darth Maul now fitting neatly into one story.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

This is a spoiler thread and you can reveal anything Chux. I haven't had time to read more, but I would not be surprised if Darth Maul was NEVER a real Sith Lord.

It was always Dooku and Palpatine, wasn't it?

Has to be.

Unless if it's done very carefully, bringing in a new character now would be a lot very late.

I know the Syfo Dyas stuff is in there though - so there's another possibility. But I haven't read that far.

But go ahead and spoil it if you'd like.