Article: George Lucas Is Ready to Roll the Credits

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

AS quoted from the article "Lucas seized control of his movies from the studios only to discover that the fanboys could still give him script notes. “Why would I make any more,” Lucas says of the “Star Wars” movies, “when everybody yells at you all the time and says what a terrible person you are?”
    Thank you too all the haters who could not just sit back and enjoy or ignore Jar-Jar, in they struck George, and now he is striking back at all of us........THANKS SO MUCH!

The retiring aspect is not that newsworthy, since he's been saying that forever. Though if he goes through with it, I do wonder what the impact will be on his involvement in The Clone Wars and any other TV shows that come along.

It's surprising to hear him speak so frankly about the negative fanboy comments, since in the past he's usually just talked about the age divide and left it at that. It's probably intensified after The People vs. George Lucas, the Red Letter Media reviews, and the insane amount of news coverage on the Blu-ray changes. In terms of not making any more SW movies, he's also mentioned about how the story is now complete and there's nothing left to tell in regards to the film story. Still, it's sad to see how the relentless negativity has gotten to him, I hope he doesn't think that everyone is like that.

Oh my goodness, Red Tails isn't getting great buzz and now he's huffy! Red Tails getting not-so-great buzz because its script and production look poor, not because they're black aviators or he's George "Star Wars" Lucas. There was an ad for Red Tails during Clone Wars that was kid-focused, made it look SO cheesy bad with a mountain of CGI effects to make it worse, like a revisionist black Star Wars -- I truly hope that's not the case with the actual movie. But the other ads and hype I've seen of the film just don't make it seem authentic to the story or to the missions they are flying, and that's a problem. Apparently it's a problem Lucas cannot get over, so he's "walking away" from his job of largely not doing anything for years, then rehashing his singular success again and again until it becomes so watered-down that it's useless. Maybe instead of retiring now to do little films, he should have interspersed his "annoyed years" after his divorce with them to keep up with the craft that he devoted his schooling to, instead of being stuck in an arrested development from having his soul taxed beyond the breaking point during the making of the original Star Wars. So hopefully he does retire from where he's been stuck - you listen to the academic Lucas on the OT DVD commentaries and you hear someone who clearly has it on the ball, who could conquer the world, if only he could move on from his 35-year pains and accept that what genius he originally captured was a mix of his vision and the challenges that were laid between that and the audience, or rather, the ability to use help of talented others who were able to both help overcome those challenges and have the power to point out problems that aren't working, not to simply outspend the challenges and fill the screen with confusion and silliness.

The reviews of Red Tails I've heard and read say it starts mid-story (which jives with what he said on The Daily Show), and completely takes the important drama of racism in 1940s America out of the equation.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Good riddance! The appeal of the original trilogy was that the special affect and story were there. The new trilogy was Lucas selling out and trying to make everyone happy. Those cgi affects will look like 16 bit eventually as all this high definition technology progresses. Even actors like Liam Neison and Ewan McGregor hated working on the films because of all the green/blue screen. My kids love the Dark Crystal over Shrek because there is something almost tangible there. What's Lucas really done anyways in 20 years? The people who write the books and comics go out of their way to make a cohesive continuity only for George Lucas to keep retconning everything including his own work. He just kicked back while several others put in the effort to keep the franchise going. He added some scenes here and there. Whoop dee doo. Even the best movies of the classic trilogy were directed by other people. Lmao! What a whiney *****. So long sell out. The Star Wars universe will be better off without you.

Oh sorry, didnt realize we were taking the tough love approach. Maybe we should just petition to ask him to turn he franchise over to Michael Bay......................