Article: The Bark Side: 2012 Volkswagon Superbowl XLVI Commercial

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

AWESOME! This is a really good ad, a nice follow up to last years SW ad.

Then why don't you marry it?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I bought a full size Wilfred The Dog suit and tried to be cast for this commercial but they said I looked too human.

This played on tv last night, and I of course took note. But while last year's ad didn't really make sense to me from an advertising perspective, just playing off the Star Wars brand's popularity without showing anything unique or even remotely special about their product, this one doesn't even have a car in it. It is literally just "look how clever we are to use a license this way", it's a mildly amusing ad for a white room... or is it for dog food, or dog costumes, or the new Star Wars 3D release? It is just trading on Star Wars iconography in a new, attention-getting manner to get you to notice the VW logo at the end.

And the sad part is that they're probably "launching" the new Beetle which is around here already and just awful-looking, like they wanted to look more like the Mini and just squashed its lines to death. Or maybe it's for the new Passat, though that launched last year and was merely "cheap to be cheaper" while lessening the quality of the car itself.

As for the characters, most seemed clear, the dog wearing Chewbacca's bandolier is really odd though, it's not a particularly big dog, and it's not the kind of dog that inspired Lucas (Indiana, his Alaskan Malamute).