Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The New iPad

The New iPad

Well, Apple has unveiled the new iPad, no additional name, just the new iPad. I guess Apple has decided to keep it simple, more in line with their other products iMac, MacBook, iPod touch, etc. I'm sure accessory mfg's will denote the product generation like they do with the iPod stuff.

Anyway, now that we know to simply call it the iPad, on to the good stuff.

As with most new generations, the new iPad is essentially a bunch of performance upgrades.

The processor - Apple is running a new A5X chip. this is a dual core CPU with a quad core GPU. What that means is that essentially the brain is the same, but they gave the device more horse power where it was really needed, in the graphics department.

The display - The biggest reason for the bump in graphics processing power is to drive the new high definition retina display (2048 X 1536) twice the resolution of the current iPad, higher than any other tablet on the market. The new display also has increased color saturation, etc. blah blah blah. In other words it has better resolution than your HDTV and it is awesome.

The camera - Basically the new iPad will sport the same camera as the iPhone 4S.

Siri lite - The new iPad does not have Siri, it does however possess the voice dictation capability of Siri. this seems to make sense from a real world point of view. One of the chief complaints about the iPad is typing on the thing. The native touch keyboard is fine for casual typing searches, text meaasging, etc. However, if you want to create an actual document using some type of word processing program an external keyboard is a must. The dictation program may be able to do most of the heavy lifting, but I do not expect it to replace the need for a keyboard.

4G LTE - That's the good news, as well as Apple's claim that whenever you are outside the 4G network it will default to 3G world wide. The bad news is, you have to pick your provider before making the purchase! There are 2 models of each, one for Verizon and one for AT&T.

Hotspot - The new iPad will be able to serve as a hotspot for up to 5 different devices.

Battery life - Apple claims 10 hours, with 9 hours on 4G networks.

Size - 9.4 mm thick and 1.4 lbs. (.6 mm thicker and 40-50 grams heavier than iPad 2)

iOS 5.1 - Now available for download to your iOS 5.0 capable devices.

iCloud - Now supports movies and TV shows!

Price - Same as previous generations, with the iPad 2 seeing a $100 price reduction.

Release Date - March 16th
    May the force be with you.

It's called "The New iPad", which I think is dumb since they already have a product with that name. Just name it by year and get it over with.

It's right now cheaper to buy the ipad 2 than it is the ipad 1 on the Apple store.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    It's called "The New iPad", which I think is dumb since they already have a product with that name. Just name it by year and get it over with.

It's right now cheaper to buy the ipad 2 than it is the ipad 1 on the Apple store.
    Yes the slides say "the new iPad" but in the new videos they refer to it simply as iPad. I don't think Apple is literally calling it "The New iPad".

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Yes the slides say "the new iPad" but in the new videos they refer to it simply as iPad. I don't think Apple is literally calling it "The New iPad".
    The gadget blogs I read say that the physical materials at the presentation were referring to it that way for now, so yes it'll be just 'iPad' on the box, but for press materials and how they talk about it, "The New ipad" is what they call it. Anyway, the machine looks nice, but I'm more interested in the price of the refurb ipad 2 going down to $350 from its release. I've decided not to get one though, it's just a toy, I'm not going to try to develop for ipad for my websites for right now, and a personal tablet for me would have to be Android (and especially the Samsung Tab 8.9, that thing is such a nice piece of kit!).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I get what you are saying, yes everyone is refering to it as "the new iPad" to distinguish it from previous generations.

Android OS? Google is evil, they want to build an elevator to space, what more proof do you need? Driverless cars, sounds an awful lot like Skynet to me, so when the Terminators come, blame Google!

Yeah, that Samsung is nice. Have you seen the new Asus PadPhone? they had a bit of success with their Transformer/TF Prime and decided to take it a step further. Now you can buy a smartphone that docks in a tablet which can dock in a keyboard, it's a phone-tablet-laptop! The up side is that each device has it's own battery and can greatly extend the life of your phone. If you want to make a call while using the laptop, you can. They built a stylus with on/off and volume buttons, hold the stylus to your ear like you would a phone and talk away!!! CRAZY! Forget about running multiple service plans for your tablet and phone! Nice.

But will it pan out or be another cool idea that just never got off the ground. Time will tell.

Simply put, I love iOS 5.1 (I updated last night), I am using the Apple cloud service with great success, iTunes in the cloud (now with movies!), etc. I can put all my documents in the cloud, update, edit, make changes and always have the latest greatest version. I still want a new printer with AirPrint so I can print directly from my iPhone, iPod, or (soon!) iPad.

On a side note, I am going all digital with my media, so an iPad is a nice fit for me. That's right, no more books, movies, music, magazines, comics, textbooks, etc. unless absolutely necessary! All digital all the time, my new moto.

The New iPad for faster results when your iPhone or iMac has its iPeriod.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

JP, wow really?!?!?! That is so 2010!

The more ammusing issue is that Apple is being sued by Proview for trademark infringement for using the iPad name!

It still has a touchscreen, right?

Call me when people remember that touchscreens suck and that fad is over.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Do you know of a tablet that doesn't use a touchscreen?

Touchscreens may not be useful on a laptop or desktop PC, but for tablets and smartphones they are a must. Touchscreen interfaces are the foundation of mobile operating systems like iOS and that other one Google came out with.

They aren't going anywhere, not for a while anyway.

Some university researchers are doing interesting work with a type of 3D interactive system that uses cameras...think Wii/PS3 Move/Xbox Kinect.