Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    If X-wings and Y-wings can work in the near absolute zero temperatures of outer space then I'm sure Hoth would seem comparatively balmy. I doubt adapting them to the cold had anything to do with not using them against the AT-AT's. Maybe they're just too fast to be of much use in atmospheric conditions, or possibly it's just another plot hole that didn't seem as relevant when I was 7 years old. As to why most of the taun-tauns ended up wampa food, the answer is simple...they're as tasty as Nerf with half the fat.

Space isn't actually cold, though, it's just without heat - assuming you're not close to something that emits heat. The only reason why things get cold or freeze in space is because they originally held heat but, since heat is actually energy, that energy eventually depletes. A planet, however, that actually has cold such as Hoth would be a vastly more brutal environment because that has windchill. Then, for vehicles, not only do you have the natural windchill but you also have the speed of the vehicle going at speeds significant enough to add even more bite to that windchill. That's a very different environment for technology to survive than just a vacuum.

At least, that's my understanding. Someone with a better grasp on the gritty details of science feel free to brutally correct me!
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

The actual line is "We're having some trouble adapting them to the cold." Which, that could mean not only the low temperatures, but also wind and debris. I'm not sure how changes in pressure would affect them, either, where I assume (having been to space many, MANY times, of course ) that would remain fairly constant in the vacuum of space.

So basically, the Rebellion didn't send their technicians to ITT Tech or Devry. Probably Doctor Evazan's Space Age Vehicle College, or something.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    I was just thinking, maybe even if they are native to Hoth then perhaps they're not native to that region? Even though it's an ice planet I'm sure there are going to be areas where it's warmer, such as along the equator. I imagine the Rebels created their base in the region that they did due to the effect it has on technology, or at least repulsorlift technology, and so they brought along a herd of tauntauns to operate during day temperatures. We could possibly also say that their natural region doesn't have wampas, either, given that otherwise they would most likely have instincts to flee when smelling a wampa but Luke's tauntaun only seemed slightly annoyed.

And Rebel Strike was an awful game, especially when it came to on-foot missions. Don't go further than Rogue Leader in that series.
    Interesting thought, not a bad reasoning. My idea would be that it's getting colder as the evening rolls in, and native tauntauns would find shelter, but since Han is riding one and forcing it to stay out, it is essentially "out past its bedtime". Having specific times of day when outside is too dangerous even for native life would make an excellent natural fortification against the Empire, now that I think about it.

Quote Originally Posted by LTBasker View Post
    Space isn't actually cold, though, it's just without heat - assuming you're not close to something that emits heat. The only reason why things get cold or freeze in space is because they originally held heat but, since heat is actually energy, that energy eventually depletes. A planet, however, that actually has cold such as Hoth would be a vastly more brutal environment because that has windchill. Then, for vehicles, not only do you have the natural windchill but you also have the speed of the vehicle going at speeds significant enough to add even more bite to that windchill. That's a very different environment for technology to survive than just a vacuum.

At least, that's my understanding. Someone with a better grasp on the gritty details of science feel free to brutally correct me!
    Yes, you have the correct understanding of the physics. The planet's harsh winds and low temperatures are definitely more of a "cold" environment than space.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    The actual line is "We're having some trouble adapting them to the cold." Which, that could mean not only the low temperatures, but also wind and debris.
    You are a generous individual with that interpretation.

I'm not sure how changes in pressure would affect them, either, where I assume (having been to space many, MANY times, of course ) that would remain fairly constant in the vacuum of space.

So basically, the Rebellion didn't send their technicians to ITT Tech or Devry. Probably Doctor Evazan's Space Age Vehicle College, or something.
    Atmo pressure is an entirely different set of things to think about, although the fact that there are non-space fliers suggests it's something that was thought about.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.