Does anybody want an R2-D2 figure with the hoses leading from the body to the feet?

In the movies, Kenny Baker controlled the 2-legged R2 by putting his legs through hoses that connected the droid's torso to the feet. The intention was that we weren't supposed to notice them, they magically disappeared when 2-legged R2 went to 3-legged mode because they were using a remote-control R2 instead of a Kenny Baker-control R2. I think they CGI'ed out the hoses in TPM but Kenny was using them even then. Here are a few images from the films (the last one is TPM and you can't see the hoses too well, but you can see the cut-outs in the feet where they lead into):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	179228.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	20.3 KB 
ID:	26026 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kennybakerasr2.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	16.2 KB 
ID:	26027 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	R2_Empire.jpg 
Views:	91 
Size:	38.5 KB 
ID:	26028 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Kenny_Artoo_Baker.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	60.5 KB 
ID:	26029

It dawned on me that Hasbro has never done a figure of this version of R2-D2, and I wonder if there's anybody out there who would want to see it. It's a very authentic version of R2 obviously, but to realize it in 1:18 action figure scale would almost certainly make the legs immobile and R2 just doesn't have much going on with his legs unable to move - it's sorta all he has. But on the other hand, it'd be interesting to have a screen-accurate version of R2 like this, maybe they could have the hoses be removable to solve the movability issue.

So, does anybody out there actually want an R2-D2 like that?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Even though it's accurate, it gets a little too far into real-world, almost blooper territory for me, so I'll pass. If they were supposed to be part of the design, they would have kept them on the non-Kenny versions as well. I bet Lucasfilm wouldn't allow it, anyway.

As for "mistake" Artoos, I wouldn't mind different versions with the slight differences in color panels, such as the gray ones on the back that appear and disappear throughout ANH. Or one where the little greeblies on his legs keep switching back and forth; that would make a nice action feature for the Movie Heroes line.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Interesting thought about LFL not allowing it. They're pretty big and visible in the movie, it's not like the traveling mattes around the starships, so IMO they could be imagined as retractable.

"Greeblies on his legs keep switching back and forth", You mean the L brackets meant to keep the 3-legged ANH Artoo's legs from splaying off his body, or something else?

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Interesting thought about LFL not allowing it. They're pretty big and visible in the movie, it's not like the traveling mattes around the starships, so IMO they could be imagined as retractable.

"Greeblies on his legs keep switching back and forth", You mean the L brackets meant to keep the 3-legged ANH Artoo's legs from splaying off his body, or something else?
    The 1977 Artoo cookie jar had these sculpted on, actually, so evidently LFL actually did allow it at some point (though presumably their review process wasn't anything like it is today). I'd imagine that other pieces from the era might have had them as well, though probably not much since then - that's the only piece I can recall having them. But that was back when the look of everything was still being nailed down, really.

I actually tend to forget that these hoses even exist until I watch ANH, and then it takes me out of the film a little bit. That's probably the main reason I'm not interested in Hasbro making this version.

This image posted by JediTempleArchives circles what I was talking about. In ANH, they two squares are constantly switching with the longer rectangle due to the inconsistencies between the droid bodies. Every movie since then has the long rectangle in front for the entire time (unless there's a mistake I'm not remembering right now). The figures don't always get this detail correct, which is something I'd like to see them get right in the future.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Oh, I see, I would guess the legs on some of the models in ANH were on backwards - it didn't affect the feet because they're separate units, and the leg is otherwise symmetrical, yes?

Good find on the cookie jar, though, as you say, those were the pioneer days of SW licensing.

I would like an R2-D2 figure that comes with hoes. But why do you not ask about tricks?

Oh, hoses.

My bad.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I would like an R2-D2 figure that comes with hoes. But why do you not ask about tricks?

Oh, hoses.

My bad.
    Super classy.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Super classy.
    I try my best.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I like the aesthetic it gives, and in general I prefer displaying my astromechs that way. So, yeah, I would like if they made a new R2 with those hoses, and they could make it a new electronic R2 which could be best for going into the droid sockets of X-wings.

The current electronic R2 has his electronics activated by his belly button, and his middle leg is permanently stuck out there. If they made an R2 that was just in his standing pose and gave him the hoses, they could justify it by making him electronic. But, his electronics would be activated by a button on his head (or just pressing down his head). So, not only could that R2 be perfect for X-wings and Y-wings since you could interact with the figure while it was in the droid socket, but it would also serve as a more accurate version of a "Coruscant Sentry" since that version also had a permanently affixed middle leg, despite R2 just standing around in that scene.
    "Hokey packaging and ancient gimmicks are no match for good detail on your figure, kid."
    "I am a Klingot from Oklahoma in human boy form."
    "We came, we saw, we conquered... We, woke up!"

Cool, somebody does want one!

I totally agree about using the idea for an electronic R2, that's a really good idea. I had the existing one in my hand yesterday, it has even more sounds than ever, but ultimately its sculpt is too inaccurate for my tastes and the 2-legged hose figure would make a good reason to bring the electronic version's sculpt up to date (also fix the eye, the big radar eye is ORANGE right now).