Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Who is left to be made on Vintage card that you'd be EXCITED about?

Thinking about the line the way it is right now, I realize they've done almost everybody I could want in modern quality, and the recent waves don't have a lot of "wow! I gotta have that!" figures, just dutiful figures that really don't fire my passion. Part of that is the price increase to $9 / $10, figures I might have wanted to track down are no longer so compelling at such a high price.

So I wonder, which figures - both coming in the foreseeable future, and those who haven't been announced yet - would I really be excited to see coming out in this line?

Here's some off-the-cuff thoughts:

• 2-1B
    • the new Starkiller figure coming soon
    • shorter Luke Stormtrooper with a better head sculpt
    • exploded gimmicks R2-D2 based on the new, more accurate sculpt (almost any new R2 based on that sculpt would be welcome, I suppose)
    • a good new ANH Han
    • a good new ANH Leia
    • a good new ESB Lando with a good removable cloak
    • any Vader with better soft goods! (and better sculpting on the helmet, the upcoming ANH one's helmet sculpt isn't quite thrilling for me though)
    • Weequay
    • a new, much better ROTJ Emperor Palpatine
    • a new, better 3PO
    • maybe Uncle Owen, maybe not, I don't even know at this point how much I'd want that

And I think that's it. What about yours? And I mean EXCITED about, not just "yeah, I'd like to get that", not dutifully interested, really excited about.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

That doesn't surprise me, but that's it, you have literally 1 figure that will excite you? That's kind of depressing.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

All new sculpts, SA and soft goods where and if possible.

Nute Gunray TPM, AOTC, and ROTS (Daultay Dofine quality)
    Rune Haako TPM and ROTS (Daultay Dofine quality)
    OOM-9, Geonosis (including Commander), Pilot, and Security Battle Droid (VC Battle Droid sculpt, filled in holes for Pilot and Security, and Geonosis Commander & OOM-9's backpack hole filled in)
    Destroyer Droid (SA, transformable if they could ever figure out how to do it.)
    Tey How (Daultay Dofine quality)
    Poggle the Lesser
    Wat Tambor
    Shu Mai
    Tikkes (AOTC & ROTS)
    Rogwa Wodrata (May be a little big for a VC card)
    Passel Argente (AOTC and ROTS)
    Denaria Kee (AOTC and ROTS)
    Po Nudo
    Po Nudo's Aide (ROTS)
    San Hill
    Darth Plagueis
    Any other Neimoidians from the films, especially the named ones.

Watching the films lately, it becomes more and more clear that there really aren't many (or any) really exciting, completely new choices left to do. For TPM, since many long-awaited characters (for me, anyway) finally came out over the last few months, the best options left for that film are really Kitster and Wald, which are by no means great options. If there must be a problem in this line, the fact that they've already covered so many characters so well is a fine one to have. But it's unfortunate that the one new source of cool, constantly updating new designs - The Clone Wars - is all but being ignored completely at this point.

Of the 29 upcoming Vintage figures, only eight of them haven't been made in the modern line at all. Sure, I want the new Nien Nunb, but it's kind of an "Oh yeah, they haven't done him since 1997, might as well make him again" sort of thing more than real excitement. There was quite a lot of great stuff in the TPM Vintage and DTF exclusive waves, but much of the rest of this year just seems to be ticking the boxes rather than coming up with really great stuff.

As for the Vintage line itself, I only have a select few carded, but there are still a few I'd love to see on the card:
    *Jar Jar Binks - he's thankfully coming this fall.
    *Count Dooku - if the line continues to 2013, and if AOTC comes out in 3D, he's a shoo-in.

For the record, the ones I have carded are Grievous, Cody, Yoda, Gree, Mace, Jango, Qui-Gon, TPM Obi-Wan, and Darth Maul - the prequel characters on this card excite me more than the OT ones, for whatever reason.

Let's see, as for announced figures, I'm pretty excited about:
    Kithaba
    Weequay
    Nikto Skiff guard
    Nein Nunb
    Pruneface
    Dr. Evazan
    Lumat

I'd also love to see all of these figures on vintage cards (all-new figures only, no repacks or repaints of existing versions):
    Barada
    Yotts Oren
    Klaatu (vintage Klaatu Skiff Guard)
    Squidhead
    Yak Face
    Ree Yees
    Bib Fortuna
    Vedain
    Velken Tezeri
    Vizam
    Taym Dren-garen
    A-Wing Pilot (human)
    Amanaman
    EV-9D9
    Han Carbonite
    Pote Snitkin
    Cantina Band Member
    Muftak

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Droid View Post
    Destroyer Droid (SA, transformable if they could ever figure out how to do it.)
    Yeah, I felt this was unimaginable so I forgot about putting it on my list. I'm not sure they need more articulation than it already has though, what are you thinking it still needs?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Watching the films lately, it becomes more and more clear that there really aren't many (or any) really exciting, completely new choices left to do.
    That was my theory as well, unfortunately.

But it's unfortunate that the one new source of cool, constantly updating new designs - The Clone Wars - is all but being ignored completely at this point.
    Agreed, I find that frustrating.

Sure, I want the new Nien Nunb, but it's kind of an "Oh yeah, they haven't done him since 1997, might as well make him again" sort of thing more than real excitement.
    This is so how I feel, I want a new Nien Nunb and I'm really glad they're getting him done now, but there's something unexciting about his pending release, it's dutiful rather than exciting.

*Count Dooku - if the line continues to 2013, and if AOTC comes out in 3D, he's a shoo-in.
    What about the existing ones doesn't do it for you?

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Let's see, as for announced figures, I'm pretty excited about:
    Kithaba
    Weequay
    Nikto Skiff guard
    Nein Nunb
    Pruneface
    Dr. Evazan
    Lumat

I'd also love to see all of these figures on vintage cards (all-new figures only, no repacks or repaints of existing versions):
    Barada
    Yotts Oren
    Klaatu (vintage Klaatu Skiff Guard)
    Squidhead
    Yak Face
    Ree Yees
    Bib Fortuna
    Vedain
    Velken Tezeri
    Vizam
    Taym Dren-garen
    A-Wing Pilot (human)
    Amanaman
    EV-9D9
    Han Carbonite
    Pote Snitkin
    Cantina Band Member
    Muftak
    Your list is predictable, BB. I almost put Evazan on mine, but I realized that it's another case of being a "dutiful" figure, like WHY THE HELL HAVE YOU TAKEN SO LONG TO GET THERE THIS SHOULD HAVE BEEN DONE AGES AGO sorts of things.

I almost put Taym Dren-Garen on my list, I actually had him there and realized that a figure of him wouldn't excite me so much as fulfilling the role he portrays in the film, the guy who shot Luke in the hand.

EV-9D9, I would definitely like a new version of her! Han Carbo too.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Yeah, I felt this was unimaginable so I forgot about putting it on my list. I'm not sure they need more articulation than it already has though, what are you thinking it still needs?
    Ball-joints, this might help in getting them to fold up.

Edit: Make that Ball-hinged.

Truth is, I don't care about the packaging at all.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Droid View Post
    Ball-joints, this might help in getting them to fold up.

Edit: Make that Ball-hinged.
    Ball-hinged what though?

Ok Chux, ignore the card, that's what I do. So you're just in it for the 1 long-shot, long-eared figure?