Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    So what happens from here for Hasbro then? Do we just limp to the finish line? Do mainline figures get mixed back into the Movie Heroes line to carry their releases longer? Do we admit we have to keep buying new sculpts and accept non-exciting figures both main and secondary?
    I am baffled they seem to be backing off the Clone Wars. It is not my cup of tea, but it seems like there are a lot of good figures ideas there to be exploited.

I think Hasbro still has some good years even if people like me aren't excited. I still buy a number of figures I didn't know I wanted until they were announced, or resculpts that I think improve an existing character I already have. I will make purchases for an interesting accessory.

I don't think Hasbro's biggest problem with collectors like me is that I am not excited or that there aren't many "new" ideas left. It is that there is never anything to buy. I know I don't understand the toy world, but if they would release a new wave every two months, I would always be on the hunt. As it is now I can go months without stepping foot in a toy aisle.

I do think they should ditch Movie Heroes and just have either Vintage carding (new releases) or Legends or whatever they want to call rereleases.

And they could get me excited. But there is no information to get me excited. I know I don't understand the toy indsutry, but I have always thought in today's internet world these conventions as the basis for getting out information is insane, particularly because we always end up finding out most of what will be announced beforehand and complaining there was nothing new shown. I am convinced once every two weeks Hasbro itself should announce on its web site a figure that is coming even if it is next year. And kiling the Q&A has been a real buzzkill. Them answering questions and giving us information made us feel ownership of the hobby, like we were a part of the conversation. It's like they don't want me to be excited.

I hate the way they run the Fans Choice polls. The last couple of times it ends up being a figure that is EU or a video game and that doesn't quite seem to ring true as the collecting communities top choice. I would believe Jocasta was the top choice for collectors before I would believe Mara. I really think they could make it more fun if they would take the top OT choice, the top PT choice, and the top EU choice. Or maybe during one six months let us pick the next cantina alien. Then let us pick the next Jabba's Palace character. Then someone from a video game.

And they have to keep up quality. I don't know the number of times I was in a store and said, "Gosh, that's a nice Luke, or Vader, or whoever" and bought it on impulse though I had the character so I could take it home, open it up, admire it, and perhaps put it in a diorama to replace a now inferior sculpt.

I think it would be suicide to just release the top fan choices all at once. And I have learned about their model and accepted it over the years, but it seems like the problem isn't a lack of product choices. It is perhaps an interest in other Hasbro toy lines more than Star Wars, a product placing problem, and an information release problem.

I can't speak as to what they should do with releasing prior figures, but I think they could continue with the existing model for new figures - some main characters, some background characters, a droid, an alien, a Jedi, on the pretty Vintage packaging. And doing that, I'd buy figures that don't excite me, but that I want. But they have to get product in the store and share information.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    I would buy that without hesitation. I would be happy to put him in both my cantina and Jabba's Palace dioramas.
    I probably would too. But come to think of it, I'd probably also buy "pre-CGI removed" Episode I C-3PO/Anthony Daniels and "pre-CGI replaced" JarJar/Ahmed Best. Now that is what I call bottom of the barrel scraping.
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Malakite View Post
    I probably would too. But come to think of it, I'd probably also buy "pre-CGI removed" Episode I C-3PO/Anthony Daniels and "pre-CGI replaced" JarJar/Ahmed Best. Now that is what I call bottom of the barrel scraping.
    If it were a TPM version, then the Anthony Daniels figure would be miles away from the C-3PO figure, in a sound recording booth.

I haven't posted in quite a long time, mainly I'm on Sideshowfreaks these days, was kinda surprised I remembered my password! I've sorta gotten out of the habit of checking Star wars forums ever since I moved to a smaller place where I can no longer display my SW collection. Still buying OT stuff though...not that there seems to be much of it anymore.

My list would be much the same as BigBarada's. As ever its Jabba & cantina related characters that excite me. Just bought the deleted scenes figures and like JT has mentioned they were a kind of 'dutiful' purchase.

edit - oh and ewoks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    If it were a TPM version, then the Anthony Daniels figure would be miles away from the C-3PO figure, in a sound recording booth.
    Not quite that far.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiepedia
    During filming of The Phantom Menace, Industrial Light & Magic Chief Model maker Michael Lynch built a puppet that was used to portray C-3PO's unfinished appearance, with Daniels providing the character's voice. C-3PO's motions were realized by Lynch acting as a puppeteer dressed in a full-color suit, at times on-set with the other actors and at others filmed against a green screen. Daniels remained off-camera and delivered the lines, guiding Lynch's movements as he brought the puppet to life.
    Make for a decent two/three pack. Anthony Daniels off to one side and Micael Lynch in his green screen suit with the Bunraku puppet C-3PO attached to him.

And of course you could have an Episode II-VI version of behind the scenes C-3PO with Anthony Daniels face exposed and arms unplated. Yes, this is shaping up to be a nice toy lineup.

"Star Wars: Behind the Magic" Wave 1
    • Anthony Daniels as C-3PO (Episode II-VI; take you pick of which version you'd want to see made)
    • Micael Lynch as Episode I Bunraku puppet C-3PO (possibly a two pack with Daniels)
    • Sy Snootles puppet
    • Ahmed Best as Jar Jar Binks
    • Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca
    • Fur coat "human" Jabba the Hutt
    • Kenny Baker as R2-D2 (with removable R2 head/lid)
    • Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker (perfect excuse for those who want to see a "non-spirit Shaw" version of Anakin updated to fit the modern line).
    Rogue Squadron-19 Golds, Battle For Naboo-18 Platinums, Rogue Leader-15 Golds/15 Aces, Rebel Strike-19 Single Golds/19 Single Aces
    James Boba Fettfield & Lord Malakite's Video Game Collection

Next thing you'll want is pre-CGI replaced/deleted scene "fur coat human" Jabba the Hutt from ANH.
    Heater? Heck yeah I'd buy that! He looks right for many OT locations and he has awesome behind-the-scenes heritage.

Quote Originally Posted by Droid View Post
    I am baffled they seem to be backing off the Clone Wars. It is not my cup of tea, but it seems like there are a lot of good figures ideas there to be exploited.
    Originally it was Lucasfilm who wanted the animated line separate from the realistic line, Hasbro didn't want that, I wonder if Hasbro finally convinced LFL to drop the concept due to weak ancillary sales and mold reusability. Or maybe it's just another example of Hasbro milking the annual turnover of the kid market who aren't as particular about new molds over old.

I think Hasbro still has some good years even if people like me aren't excited. I still buy a number of figures I didn't know I wanted until they were announced, or resculpts that I think improve an existing character I already have. I will make purchases for an interesting accessory.

I don't think Hasbro's biggest problem with collectors like me is that I am not excited or that there aren't many "new" ideas left. It is that there is never anything to buy. I know I don't understand the toy world, but if they would release a new wave every two months, I would always be on the hunt. As it is now I can go months without stepping foot in a toy aisle.
    I am in that same boat where I might buy a figure just for a cool accessory, but it's a lot less often now that the figures are pushing $10.

They currently are on the "every 2 months" track, I believe, and it's still a total mess finding stuff, hence the need for repack in later waves, but then they do stupid stuff like repack obvious pegwarmers (Queen Amidala!).

I do think they should ditch Movie Heroes and just have either Vintage carding (new releases) or Legends or whatever they want to call rereleases.

And they could get me excited. But there is no information to get me excited. I know I don't understand the toy indsutry, but I have always thought in today's internet world these conventions as the basis for getting out information is insane, particularly because we always end up finding out most of what will be announced beforehand and complaining there was nothing new shown. I am convinced once every two weeks Hasbro itself should announce on its web site a figure that is coming even if it is next year. And kiling the Q&A has been a real buzzkill. Them answering questions and giving us information made us feel ownership of the hobby, like we were a part of the conversation. It's like they don't want me to be excited.
    That's how it used to be in the '90s, but the team really didn't have the passion and the reveals lost excitement quickly, and then they started running late and falling behind. The good thing about conventions is there's a twice-a-year schedule to it and they get to talk directly with fans; the bad thing is when one event has almost nothing to show.

I hate the way they run the Fans Choice polls. The last couple of times it ends up being a figure that is EU or a video game and that doesn't quite seem to ring true as the collecting communities top choice. I would believe Jocasta was the top choice for collectors before I would believe Mara. I really think they could make it more fun if they would take the top OT choice, the top PT choice, and the top EU choice. Or maybe during one six months let us pick the next cantina alien. Then let us pick the next Jabba's Palace character. Then someone from a video game.
    Fans choice is obvious a voice for non-collector fans, folks who don't get those EU and game figures they want to see, but it is annoying to pit types of fans against each other.

And they have to keep up quality. I don't know the number of times I was in a store and said, "Gosh, that's a nice Luke, or Vader, or whoever" and bought it on impulse though I had the character so I could take it home, open it up, admire it, and perhaps put it in a diorama to replace a now inferior sculpt.
    Good point, although I'd argue that even now we're still having pretty notable quality issues for such a high pricepoint.

Jar Jar is easy, I've seen customs using existing Jar Jar heads and the Ahmed Best AOTC figure. Daniels in the unitard behind the puppet though, that's inspired. I would have to buy it.

Quote Originally Posted by Devo View Post
    I haven't posted in quite a long time, mainly I'm on Sideshowfreaks these days, was kinda surprised I remembered my password! I've sorta gotten out of the habit of checking Star wars forums ever since I moved to a smaller place where I can no longer display my SW collection. Still buying OT stuff though...not that there seems to be much of it anymore.

My list would be much the same as BigBarada's. As ever its Jabba & cantina related characters that excite me. Just bought the deleted scenes figures and like JT has mentioned they were a kind of 'dutiful' purchase.

edit - oh and ewoks.
    Hey, welcome back! Good taste.

Sucks to hear about your collection, I totally feel the same way right now after my move, it really is rough to feel as stronlgy once it's not easy to display.

Not quite that far.

Make for a decent two/three pack. Anthony Daniels off to one side and Micael Lynch in his green screen suit with the Bunraku puppet C-3PO attached to him.

And of course you could have an Episode II-VI version of behind the scenes C-3PO with Anthony Daniels face exposed and arms unplated. Yes, this is shaping up to be a nice toy lineup.

"Star Wars: Behind the Magic" Wave 1
    • Anthony Daniels as C-3PO (Episode II-VI; take you pick of which version you'd want to see made)
    • Micael Lynch as Episode I Bunraku puppet C-3PO (possibly a two pack with Daniels)
    • Sy Snootles puppet
    • Ahmed Best as Jar Jar Binks
    • Peter Mayhew as Chewbacca
    • Fur coat "human" Jabba the Hutt
    • Kenny Baker as R2-D2 (with removable R2 head/lid)
    • Sebastian Shaw as Anakin Skywalker (perfect excuse for those who want to see a "non-spirit Shaw" version of Anakin updated to fit the modern line).
    Kenny Baker IMO is a must before the line ends. The list is all great, but I like your deviousness with Shaw/Anakin and Sy Puppet.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    They currently are on the "every 2 months" track, I believe, and it's still a total mess finding stuff, hence the need for repack in later waves, but then they do stupid stuff like repack obvious pegwarmers (Queen Amidala!).
    Their carry-forward choices can indeed be baffling, but which Amidala are you talking about? The current TVC one is only in the first TPM case; she isn't in its revision, or wave 2, 3, 4, or 4 R1.

I would strangle a cute, fluffy bunny rabbit for Heater.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Their carry-forward choices can indeed be baffling, but which Amidala are you talking about? The current TVC one is only in the first TPM case; she isn't in its revision, or wave 2, 3, 4, or 4 R1.
    I thought they were carrying the current Amidala figure forward in wave 3 or 4, I could be wrong. They are carrying a few of the Ep 1 figures forward that don't need to be though, Qui-Gon and Quinlan Vos are both borderline pegwarmers and hardly army builders.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I would strangle a cute, fluffy bunny rabbit for Heater.
    Like this one? http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jaxxon
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Only if they made both on Vintage cards at the same time.
    Tommy, close your eyes.