Article: Star Wars' Lucas gives up studio plan in face of neighbor opposition

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

This makes me sad, I was recently reading in Making of ESB about Lucas' buying of the land with plans firmly in mind to do this back in '78. They had regular company picnics on the land and dreamed big, and yet it's all now come to nothing because of the "Not in My Back Yard" folks. But maybe they're right, maybe the impact of that small-film-studio business model is too significant for their sleepy area, I just don't see it and I think eventually this pull-out will only do the area harm down the road when it becomes too expensive to keep the area so virgin without some level of industry in the area. When that day comes, they're going to be less happy with the warehouse or manufacturing plan they're stuck with than they would have been Lucas' dream for a small movie studio.

I understand he's trying to sell it for housing projects now.

That oughtta teach the NIMBY folks.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

They'll probably vote that down too, and then their local politics will get really complicated because the county requires some amount of low-income housing I think. Unfortunately for them, they'll either have exactly that in their back yards, or they'll have an expensive, protracted lawsuit on their hands to keep it from happening which will make them look bad. So it's lose/lose, or lose/lose/lose if you think about the folks who want to do support business in an area like that and won't be able to.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.