Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sideshow Collectibles 1/6 Scale OOM-9 Preview

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Looks good, entirely unsurprising though, aside from timing. The paint is very prototype-y though, I could conceive of buying this but only after seeing final production figures, I've been burned on the previous Battle Droid figure by just having too high of expectations for the price and proto pics.

We knew the variants would come, and OOM's as good a choice as any to kick them off.
    But...how much will Sideshow ask for a single BD with 2 being recently offered at $119? It would be shocking (but extremely doubtful) that they let a single go for $60....but anything too close to a hundred would be way too much without some major incentive like an environmental-style stand (TF ship deckplate or Naboo-inspired stone walkway of hanger deck floor comes to mind) and/or a big selection of accessories.

I'd actually like it if they offered OOM-9 with another basic Infantry unit in a two-pack similar to the initial set. I'm really impressed with that set and look forward to seeing where Sideshow goes with this new figure they can variant-release over and over like the clones...

Even at $60, I would want to see a stand if I were buying. There is a value threshold, I know I push the edges of it with my expectations, but c'mon, it's a coat of paint and 2 new accessories (antennae cluster and binoculars).

Not a bad idea coming in another multipack with a regular BD, although again they'd have to contend with hurt feelings of those who preordered the first 2-pack when all they wanted was 1 figure -- and then the STAP came with 1 BD. If they could make that regular BD somehow a little unique from the other 3 currently out or planned (2pack, STAP), I could probably still see that working, but not merely backpack number, it'd need something more.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

And the pics are out: $65, no stand shown, no extra figure, just a gun and electrobinoculars. Not feeling this, will wait until it ships before deciding.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

...and the figure is coming soon....24 day notice has appeared for this BD Commander...

....and after getting it right before Xmas and then having to send it back because of a paint mis-hap(they missed one eye), I've finally got OOM-9....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OOM-9_01.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	94.4 KB 
ID:	26964

...and I really like it. The body is good and tight...articulates and holds poses well. Seems like each new droid is getting better with this, which is cool. The binocs are neat and the antennae rig looks good plugged into it's back. I wish they would include both the antennae rig and the back pack with future droid releases so one could mix it up a bit with display options. Could spur a bit of army-building, there too.

The deco works for me...the yellow is there, but not in an eye-popping, garish way...less like a bulls-eye and more like a designation mark. The distressing/detailing is different from the previous two-pack droids and the STAP pilot. I like that a lot..it's giving this ever-growing droid army a great look.

Sometimes I wonder with these sixth-scale SW figures if some perceptions about how something should look are less about the source and more about how we've seen it rendered in the past, either as other figures or toys. In hand, this figure looks pretty good...

Now let's get a Security model, a pilot model and some fresh-from-the-foundry Geonosian red ones....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OOM-9_03.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	35.7 KB 
ID:	26965

By "missed one eye", you mean they didn't paint it at all, or the paint missed its mark?

The yellow on the head looks good, but like so many other iterations, I feel like the torso circle paint doesn't pop enough because it doesn't have a physical border. Were I designing this I'd probably have put a thin white or black border around the chest dot.

I think Sideshow shot themselves in the foot here by making it $65 and a low-run exclusive, $65 was the price they could have sold a lot more on if they hadn't made it exclusive.

The paint missed it's mark.

And yes...there is a lack of information on Sideshow's site regarding this one - it was on-then off-no edition size, no wait list , nothing.

I'm glad I got one, but I hope future "editions" of BD's aren't so mysterious....

Ah, probably fell out of its mask just as they went to hit the paint. Glad to hear you got a replacement.

At this price, Sideshow should have aimed for a larger audience, they really don't make much sense to me on these sorts of things. I can't imagine too many folks are buying OOM-9 for his exclusivity.