Hybrid View

Apple Addiction!

Well it is official. My Apple addiction continues to grow.

After purchasing an iPod touch (4th generation) and experiencing the iOS 5 platform I soon decided to take the plunge and bought an iPhone 4S. Then came the release of the new iPad which I gladly bought on release day.

Last week I went ahead and bought an Apple TV.

So far so good. My only real issue was with renting movies. I rented "The Iron Lady" in HD and it took forever to download/stream. Not really a fault of Apple TV. More like a slow Internet connection. However I did notice that my blu-ray player which has Vudu seems to stream okay.

I also noticed that my iTunes movies, from my library, played well without the long wait. I'm not sure if that is because it streams from my computer or if it still streams from iTunes but at a lower bit rate. I did not notice a significant difference in quality but there was a significant difference in speed.

On a side note, my iPad has been great for work. I use it daily and love it!
    May the force be with you.

Oh man, I wish you had consulted with us before pulling the trigger on the iphone, only because the iphone development cycle is likely just 5 or 6 weeks away from the iphone 5 and either you could get that or get a better price on the 4S.

Other than that, man they have got you bad, I'm totally shocked at the purchase of the Apple TV device just because I thought the iphone and the ipad could both video-out and are the same thing, and you have a blu-ray player with internet. Glad you're having fun though, even if you are so badly in the Apple Cult now.

I don't see a "mac" in there anywhere though, don't their computers count?

For me, ever since I got the Galaxy Tab 8.9 last month, I've almost entirely divested myself of my ipod touch v4, now it's basically around for web development work alone and to act as a tertiary Pandora / Amazon MP3 server to my speakers when I don't want to lose use of my tablet or phone (I guess that's a good enough reason for you to buy the Apple TV along those same lines of thinking). My poor niece is super sprung on the tablet, I had her over last week and she was drooling, apparently kept bugging my sister about it after they went home. She's 14 and already had her ipad 1 taken away by her father for bad grades, her grades have since gone WAY up (from fails and near-fails to nearly all As) I theorized it's because of the lack of that distraction but she tells me it's mostly focus so she can get a new tablet. Up until recently that tablet was going to be another ipad, but now she's all up for an Android one and specifically the Tab 8.9.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I was predicting June/July time frame for the new iPhone. But I bought mine back in February and didn't really want to wait that long. Biggest new feature will probably be 4G and the 4G coverage around here is horrible, so I'm not really worried about it. Most of the other rumors don't really impress me enough to wait for the latest and greatest either.

As for the Apple TV, you need one to use the AirPlay feature from the iPhone/iPad, plus I like the seemless integration with iTunes and iCloud (iTunes match). Apple TV also has WSJ Live, photo stream, dual screen gaming, etc.

It just offers a bunch of cool little features, it was easy for me to justify the $99 price tag. Besides I have a lot of movies in iTunes as I tend to buy blu-ray/DVD/Digital copy versions of movies.

Apple cult, yes, Mac cult, no. It's really the iOS 5 I love so much and all the features Apple has built into it, like iTunes integration which has so far worked really well.

I hear rumor that the new OS X will be more closely related to iOS which just might be enough for me to look at picking up a Mac mini. We will see. I kinda like the idea of having a Mac mini I can just plug my keyboard and monitor into without dealing with the typical hassle of owning a second computer. I can just plop it down on the desk and switch it out easily when I feel like playing around on the Mac. Again, that will depend on the new OS.

By and large I am a Windows 7 guy, a Mac might be fun as it would be something new and different, but it would be more of a novalty than anything else and not something I would be prepared to spend a lot of money on. Which is another advantage to buying a Mac mini. Typical Apple hardware is expensive, while a Mac mini is much more reasonably priced. A new Mac mini can be had for $599 and there are a lot of companies out there that sell RAM upgrades for much less than Apple charges.

Anyway, I'm still not sold on the Mac, time will tell. Right now I have more important things to spend my money and time on.

I don't know why I thought you said you just bought the iphone 4s, clearly in re-reading you didn't say that. Feb is ok. I wouldn't trust the first iphone with 4g even if you had good coverage, I'd wait until the second just because the existing iphone's sealed battery will probably not last long on their first try on a 4g LTE system I'd think and they'd need to go back to the drawing board on the battery and LTE chip. The only reason I generally use my crappy Sprint 4g (non-LTE, it's wimax, yuck) is because I have a user-changeable extended battery to fall back on.

It's funny, this morning I was reflecting on this thread and what I said about my ipod, and I think iOS5 is actually the second reason I use it less - it offered nothing terribly useful on the ipod touch, but even with the battery situation fixed it's still hungrier than iOS4 and it's less responsive, it has little hangs and lags on what's supposed to be nearly top-tier hardware for the OS, the ipod touch 4. I'm guessing it's more the ipad 3 and the 4S you got are better representatives for the OS. I personally have had enough of the "change OSes to the next thing, oh but your hardware doesn't work sorry you suck" from my Windows days, I still use my XP computer and it's faster at some jobs than any Windows 8 machine could be.

I almost picked up the original Mac Mini when it came out back in the day, the pricetag and universal keyboard, mouse, and monitor adaptability made it tempting, but I ended up passing - I don't remember why, probably the $500 for another computer when I didn't need another computer.

Funny how your computer world is so different from your iOS world, and that iOS integration is what you're looking for in any sort of Mac.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I almost picked up the original Mac Mini when it came out back in the day, the pricetag and universal keyboard, mouse, and monitor adaptability made it tempting, but I ended up passing - I don't remember why, probably the $500 for another computer when I didn't need another computer.

Funny how your computer world is so different from your iOS world, and that iOS integration is what you're looking for in any sort of Mac.
    Yeah the $599 price tag is still a bit much for me to justify right now, though with my recent promotion and pay increase it may be easier to swing. Still, like you said, I don't really need another computer.

I find my computer world is changing drastically. Tim Cook mentioned in his keynote address for the new iPad that the entire industry is changing, and he's right. It's becoming more personal, more mobile, etc. He called it the "post pc world".

Consider 80% of hospitals in the U.S. are now using tablet computers either full time or as a pilot program. It is literally revolutionizing my entire career field. Doctors can access secure patient medical records, review digital medical images, etc. Medical equipment mfg's are also getting on board. Sonosite (which makes ultrasound equipment) has applied for a patent to attach ultrasound transducers to iPads, thus eliminating the usual hardware associated with such machines in favor of smaller more compact and less expensive equipment. The same is happening with blood pressure machines, vital signs monitors, EKC machines, remote patient monitoring, and on and on!!! It's very exciting for me!!!

On the flip side, I am not currently working in a clinical environment but will be on the academic side of things very soon. I head down to Fort Sam in August to become an Instructor.

Another huge advantage to these mobile computing platforms is the application development. There are millions of apps across the Android and iOS platforms, some companies have developed their own specific apps for their mobile platforms. This really allows people/businesses to customize how they do business.

Personally, my iPad has taken the place of my leather bound notebook, which I used to take with me everywhere. It's smaller and weighs about the same (even with the clear back protector and smart cover). Yet it does SO much more. I can set appointments, make notes, access documents, etc. and everything is sync'd between my iPhone and iPad, so if I happen to be caught without my iPad I have my iPhone as a backup with all the same information. My iPad is the second most productive tool I have at work and that's just because the Army uses an essentially closed system and I can not access my work Outlook e-mail from my iOS devices, or digitally sign documents. But it is a VERY close second. I can still access my AKO e-mail with my iOS devices.

iOS integration with my "computer" is a must for the future. I already use my personal computer to update information via iCloud, dropbox, etc. and it is an invaluable tool, but is could be better, more integrated. For example, if I update a document, I have to upload it to the cloud (and if I'm smart delete the older version) or put the latest version into dropbox (and again delete the old version). In the future I would love the ability to access any document from my computer and have it automatically update and sync across all my devices.

Yeah, iPad changes everything...at least for me.

As for the hardware issues you mentioned, you are correct. My wife inherited my 4th gen. iPod touch when I bought my iPhone and it is slower I've noticed the annoying lags. My iPhone and iPad on the other hand are fast and fluid.

I bought a new 27" iMac a couple of weeks ago, along with a Wacom tablet and Photoshop CS5 (I'm supposed to get a free upgrade to CS6 when it comes out, but I'm not sure if I will - CS5 does everything I need right now). I can't say that I'm particularly devoted to Mac (since my smartphone in an Android), but I know the Mac OS so well that I didn't feel like changing things up now.

I'm still trying to get used to the amount of screen "real estate" on this new computer. But it's a nice change actually having more space than I need when working on a drawing, rather than constantly having to zoom out or scroll around just so I can see everything.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis