Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I still don't own a cell phone.
    I probably wouldn't either, but it's pretty much mandatory for work.
    ˇQue la fuerza te acompańe!

Quote Originally Posted by JimJamBonds View Post
    And reading.
    ... about methsticks in a certain film saga.

I have had several students begging me to let them charge their phones in my classroom (last year, I had some damage/missing issues with students doing just that, so I eliminated the possibility of letting anyone do that anymore), just as I read that one of the new issues with the new upgrade is that it seems to be draining batteries much faster. Hmm... a connection?
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

Well, the wife and I each got a Space Gray iPhone 5S (16GB) on Tuesday. So far so good, it's my wife's first iPhone and my second. My iPhone 4S was a 32GB model and it had way more storage than I needed, so I decided to stick with the 16GB this time around.
    May the force be with you.

Well, I ordered a new iPad Air on Monday, it is set to arrive Friday. I love my current 3rd generation iPad, but I really needed more storage, so I bought a 128GB model. Tonya (my wife) will be getting my old 32GB iPad.

Meanwhile the 16GB iPad mini I bought my son remains one of the best investments I've ever made.

So the addiction continues and the entire family is fully infected. My daughter inherited my wife's 4th generation iPod touch (upgrading from an older 2nd generation iPod touch). Tonya didn't need it anymore since she has the iPhone now.

The plan right now is to buy Apple TV's for the kids for Christmas, refurbs are a reasonable $75 from Apple's website.

Quote Originally Posted by sith_killer_99 View Post
    Wow, that was a long post.

Sad to hear about the way you were treated, but it really seems to be the exception rather than the norm. With all the people out of work today, I can't say I'm surprised. People who probably shouldn't be working in customer service industry are taking whatever jobs they can find. :-(

On a side note, my Apple addiction hasn't abated. Back in April I bought my son an iPad mini for his birthday. The wife wants an iPhone and we will probably get her a 5S in the near future. I may even upgrade from my 4S, I'm still on the fence.

I'm not one of those addicts that has to have the latest greatest as soon as it comes out. In fact I've been so happy with my 4S that I have been hesitant to get the larger screen iPhone because my 4S seems to be the perfect size for me, I can hold it easily in one hand and operate it without any problem or without having to use 2 hands.

One of the guys I work with has an Android phone with a monster screen and he doesn't really like it, saying he has to use 2 hands to do a lot of things and it doesn't fit in his pocket. Some in the media have taken to calling these large phones phablets (phone tablets). A screen can only become so big before it becomes obtrusive. I have a tablet for a reason, I don't need my phone for watching movies, taking notes, etc. That's not to say there isn't a use for them, my mom's eyesight has gotten pretty bad and she benefits from a larger screen.

On a side note, I am looking forward to the new iPad, which is believed to be coming out soon (October reveal with a November release). I use the heck out of my iPad at work, I take notes, pictures, carry documents, etc. Yes I use my tablet to take pictures for work, mostly because it's convenient, I can take notes, shoot a picture and go back to taking notes. I also use it for taking short videos.

Other things I use my iPad for include comic books, videos (iTunes movies/TV, Hulu Plus, Netflix, etc), web surfing, Facebook, Twitter, FaceTime, books, e-mail, magazines, games, etc.

By and large my tablet is used for media consumption and as a productivity tool for work.

Meanwhile my phone is used for more odds and ends. Sometimes I use it for music, but primarily I use it for those odd apps that just kinda make life easier, calculator, news feeds, weather, reminders, grocery lists, quick notes, pictures, youtube videos on the go, Congress in my pocket, TWC DVR scheduling, business cards and contacts, stop watch, QR codes, airline info, GPS/maps/Navigation, plus lots of other weird information to which I want access. Not to mention text messaging and phone calls. Of course I also use it to check updates on Facebook and Twitter during down time at work.

I also have an Apple TV, which I use often. Last night I rented "The Colony" plus I buy a lot of blu-ray movies with iTunes copies. If there is a movie I want, but I don't want to go out and buy a physical copy I usually just buy it on iTunes. This is a big one for me because my library is HUGE and takes up a lot of space. I am trying to down size.
    Long post kettle calling the pot black, eh? I can't tell if it's the exception or the norm, but I can tell you that I didn't feel very valued as a customer over the course of several visits.

You really are addicted to Apple here.

I can operate my 5" Android phone one-handed, and my gloves size is medium. It's just about the WAY you hold it, iphone users deathgrip the thing with their fingers on one side and the palm on the opposite, but putting your fingers behind the phone instead of on its side allows for at least an inch more reach. My dad took a 4" Android screen over a 3.5" iPhone screen specifically for his eyesight.

My phone just got the Android update, and I find it's usurping my tablet's purpose much of the time. It has a monstrously generous battery, a better screen, and it's 10 ounces lighter. Plus it has more advanced hardware and software. Most of the time I'm using my tablet now only to keep from using my phone more.

... about methsticks in a certain film saga.

I have had several students begging me to let them charge their phones in my classroom (last year, I had some damage/missing issues with students doing just that, so I eliminated the possibility of letting anyone do that anymore), just as I read that one of the new issues with the new upgrade is that it seems to be draining batteries much faster. Hmm... a connection?
    Yeah, iOS 7 on the iphone is available up to 3 generations back, and it's a battery hog like no other operating system. They added some really bad power draining toys that get old quickly like the parallax-view homescreen, and some ridiculous behaviors - I'm almost grateful my ipod can't update to that OS. Not letting them charge in class is a mixed idea, it nixes the damage/missing concern but letting them charge means their phones aren't in their hands while learning. I've seen too many folks trip over iphones at Comic-Con though, that has to end.

Well, the wife and I each got a Space Gray iPhone 5S (16GB) on Tuesday. So far so good, it's my wife's first iPhone and my second. My iPhone 4S was a 32GB model and it had way more storage than I needed, so I decided to stick with the 16GB this time around.
    You think it's more storage, watch your back on that, the OS gets bigger, the apps get bigger, and the "other" gets WAY bigger with no way to fix (that one really bothers me, I disassembled the iOS backup on a friend's phone that was full of "other" data that shouldn't be there, problem with the device, and Apple's advice was the same - if an update doesn't fix it, just erase the whole device and start over... gee, THANKS! ). So, 16gb seems like a lot now, but some day if that phone holds out you'll be pushing everything into cloudland.

Well, I ordered a new iPad Air on Monday, it is set to arrive Friday. I love my current 3rd generation iPad, but I really needed more storage, so I bought a 128GB model. Tonya (my wife) will be getting my old 32GB iPad.

Meanwhile the 16GB iPad mini I bought my son remains one of the best investments I've ever made.

So the addiction continues and the entire family is fully infected. My daughter inherited my wife's 4th generation iPod touch (upgrading from an older 2nd generation iPod touch). Tonya didn't need it anymore since she has the iPhone now.

The plan right now is to buy Apple TV's for the kids for Christmas, refurbs are a reasonable $75 from Apple's website.
    Dang, you ARE addicted. Ironic you need storage here and not on the phone.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Yeah, my posts get a little long.

Well, Tonya and I are enjoying our iPhones. Right now I have everything loaded and about 4GB of storage for updates and any additional apps I decide to add. We went with the "Top Up" program from Sprint, so we can always upgrade whenever we want. At the end of the day it ended up being about 6 of one and half a dozen of the other when it came to settling on a plan. I like the "no contract" aspect of my new Sprint plan. So, if I do find myself needing more storage, upgrading the phone won't be too difficult.

As for the iPad. I have gone "all digital" for most of my media, I use my iPad for all my books, magazines, comics, etc. which takes up a lot of storage, but not nearly as much as my work reference library. I keep a lot of stuff on my iPad for work, Army Regulations, Field Manuals, policy letters, Soldier data files, work files, etc.

The advantage here is that I have gotten rid of all those long boxes of comics, storage bags, backings, less physical books, blu-rays taking up space in the house. When you have a ton of media, going digital is a huge advantage, it's easier to stay organized, I never have to worry about losing things, and the space advantage is obvious.

For anyone who is interested, the "128GB" iPad actually has 115GB of storage. As I'm sure you are all aware, storage is always measured in raw numbers, so formatting takes up some space and of course the operating system, so I lost 13GB of actual storage space. By weight of comparison, here is a list of storage for my various devices:

iPod Touch 1st Generation 16GB (iOS 3.1.3)
    14.6GB capacity

iPod Touch 2nd Generation 16GB (iOS 4.2.1)
    14.3 capacity

iPod Touch 4th Generation 32GB (iOS 6.1.3)
    28.5GB capacity

iPad 3rd Generation 32GB (iOS 7.0.3)
    27.9GB capacity

iPad Air 128GB (iOS 7.0.3)
    115GB capacity

iPad mini 16GB (iOS 7.0.3)
    13.4GB capacity

iPhone 4S 32GB (iOS 7.0.3)
    27.9 GB capacity

iPhone 5S 16GB (iOS 7.0.3)
    12.9GB capacity

So a 16GB device goes from 14.6GB capacity down to 12.9GB capacity from iOS 3 to iOS 7. This makes sense of course, because as you add features and capabilities to an operating system you write more lines of code which takes up more space. I wouldn't argue that people should go back to iOS 3, but the additional space requirement should be taken into consideration. Consider that the first iPhones were available in 4GB, 8GB and 16GB models. The 4GB iPhones were quickly discontinued and now the 8GB have been discontinues. So, realistically Apple has kept pace with the added storage requirements.

Interesting stuff. I am not sure I could get rid of my physical media for some stuff though, digital music and books and art are all buying licenses, and those licenses have loopholes - I had an app disappear off my device not too long ago due to it being pulled from the appstore, my license said they had a right to take it away and I had no recourse.

The newest version of Android actually is about making it smaller, lighter, more accessible than the previous version, making the code work better and more streamlined at the same time. I think that's what iOS should have been striving for all along, adding features and toys is all well and good but usability should be a major concern too. Instead, Apple builds their operating systems to push users into new gadgets every 2 years by making the existing gadgets run worse and worse for no real gains. Nothing in iOS6 was an advantage over iOS4, for example.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Our school district received individual iPad Airs for each teacher (doesn't look like the proposed for each STUDENT thing will occur soon, though), thanks to a local ballot measure. Still getting used to it. Slowly, gradually.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

I know this isn't the place for this question but why would a student need their phone in a class? Yes I can think of a few reasons, if the teacher allows the usage of course but overall it seems like asking for trouble (screwing around) to me. If you want to save your battery then turn it off and charge it when you get home.

Mind if I post your comment in my classroom? My sentiments exactly.