Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2012 Wave 3

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I think, overall, he looks fine. The shoulders are kind of bulky, but they don't bug me too much in person. I don't see his neck as being too long, though the scarf doesn't sit flush on him, but I dunno if that's neck-related. I'm at my apartment now so I can't check these things, but I wasn't really bothered by anything on him aesthetically, my frustration was all geared toward the lack of scarf options.
    Well, the neck is almost double the length it should be, it can be covered up by moving the separate-piece collar up a little, but his head should be touching that collar and it's quite a ways off.

I just cued up the scenes on Hoth, when Luke is on the Tauntaun wearing this look it's for less than a minute, and then he pulls his goggles up (which are entirely missing from the second look) and talks into his wrist-comm, and that only lasts a moment, and then the Wampa knocks his scarf and goggles off his hat entirely leaving them to dangle off the side and back of the hat, so this figure is really limited, can't even look like Luke during or after the Wampa attack.

I don't know what the hell "blorpy" is supposed to mean, but yeah, sure. It doesn't really look much like Hayden, but none of the figures really do. It's a little longer than it should be - it reminds me somewhat of the Evolutions ROTS mold. It's pretty similar to photos, I guess, but I can live with it. They've only finally been able to start sculpting Luke well within the last couple of years, so I guess Anakin is still gonna be a while.
    Generic and kinda doofy, not particularly heroic, a bit sickly. It doesn't help that the figure design looks like it has a potbelly from how high they designed the belt line and how the skirt poofs out.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I got the Vader in this morning and he's pretty good. His neck feels a tiny bit too long to me and it's only a swivel joint, not a ball-joint. Otherwise, I think it's the best looking Darth Vader helmet sculpt to date. I like the sculpted torso better than the every increasingly caved-in chest the that we were getting on the Evolutions mold. They're still making the cape from see-through fabric, though, so I guess we can look forward to at least one more Vader update in the future. My figure has a tendency to lean to his left, almost like his left leg is shorter than his right. But since this is the "action" Vader, I'll just work that into whatever dynamic pose I put him in.
    The helmet's neck looks long in pics, so thanks for the confirmation on that.

Yeah, that chiffon-like fabric they use for his cloak is really bothering me these days, it looks badly see-through and it's hard to get to sit flat as well. And then they try to match the sculpted robe on the chest to the very flat, porous cloth skirt, another one that bugs me.

I guess with all the posts on other forums about how this is one of the greatest Star Wars figures ever made, my expectations might have been too high. Although, I prefer to keep my expectations almost unrealistically high with figures like Vader, because I know that we are going to continue to get new versions of the character. For figures like Kithaba and TVC Evazan, that we will likely NEVER see resculpted for any reason (at least not for 10 years or more), then I tend to be more forgiving of flaws.
    Hasbro jacks the pricing up over and over while talking about how these figures are supposed to be the "ultimate" versions that never need resculpting, so it's hard not to have high expectations for a while... then you realize how absolutely untrue their claims are, where even little stuff like bandana paint and Imperial logos gets done wrong, and eventually one becomes bitter and cautious about stuff like Vader where they've shown such a poor ability to evolve the design along the same pace as other figures, or even increase any quality in design one way or another at all from Vader to Vader. So every little surprise becomes a moment of "hey look, they finally got his helmet to look right, so where's the flaws?" And in this case it's:
    - helmet is designed for ESB/ROTJ, not ANH;
    - helmet neck is high;
    - no way to attach saber to belt;
    - cape is a step backwards with no chain;
    - soft-goods skirt don't integrate at all with sculpted robe.

So it's really an area where one may want to be guarded.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

After I realized I had TVC CW Obi-Wan and CW Ahsoka coming, I found a CW Anakin on pegs and bought him. The face isn't quite as bad as I thought it'd be, but the hairline sculpt on the right side is too high, and the neck is designed in an ugly manner, so it's hardly a home run either. The body is ok, but the waist is really high and the soft goods flare too much and look too long, too weird. Also, I think the soft goods are on backwards, the front doesn't open at all while the back shows the red under-kama, so I rotated it around and it does look better but the cut & sew on mine has some excess thread at the top there.

The colors are good except for the shoulder armor which is painted too flat so it gets lost in the sculpt. The sculpting is fairly consistent, a little smooth around the arms but otherwise good, the lower legs have a lot of detail in the folds of the "boots".

Oddly, the belt doesn't have any saber holder, no peg and no box at all. The unlit saber accessory has no peg either and the saber hilt sculpt is not that great (the lit and unlit match).

The figure's range of motion is pretty good, super-articulated except for a standard swivel waist, limited range on the ball-hinge shoulders, and standard hips. The wrists hinge forward as well as rotate, and the joint isn't too big, but since the figure can't bring his arms together in front of him it's not quite as useful as it could be.

So, an ok figure but not one I'd recommend either.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Finally found this wave at Target and picked up the Malgus. I want the victory to sink in before I actually open him. Love how he still has the sticker for the Maul contest that ended 3 months ago.

Finally got an Imperial Navy Commander at WM, only to find 2 more at TRU!

Imperial Navy Commander is pretty good, looks like the picture even, and he's not a behemoth like the TAC version but he's not more than half a head shorter so they don't have a problem mingling. Shoulders are a little gappy and sport the Republic logo instead of Imperial. Nice working holster with a Rebel Trooper blaster, not the lame-o flat holster of the previous figure. Helmet nicer than TAC figure, tight but fits on TAC figure (TAC figure's helmet doesn't fit well on TVC figure though). TAC and TVC heads not interchangeable. Still no headphones. On its own, the INC is an ok figure that really isn't super exciting, but is good enough that it shouldn't have taken 11 months to track down. Truthfully, I had forgotten all about not having this figure months ago.

I had a TRU coupon about to expire, so the only decent figure I saw on the pegs there was the Death Squad Commander. That's the way I'm going to see INC. First figure I bought in quite some time. Eh.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I had a TRU coupon about to expire, so the only decent figure I saw on the pegs there was the Death Squad Commander. That's the way I'm going to see INC. First figure I bought in quite some time. Eh.
    That is a bummer. I've seen a bunch of INCs around lately as it's re-shipping, TRU, WM, and Target, want a pickup?

My mirage is now exposed, ruined! No, I bought Mr. Ol' Navy C.; I just wanted it to have the more violent character name on the card. It's some of the Deleted Scenes I thought I might find. But I just have almost no desire for SW toys anymore. What's happening to me?
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    My mirage is now exposed, ruined! No, I bought Mr. Ol' Navy C.; I just wanted it to have the more violent character name on the card. It's some of the Deleted Scenes I thought I might find. But I just have almost no desire for SW toys anymore. What's happening to me?
    Ha! I was too tired and missed the joke, sorry.

What figures are you still looking for? I know what you mean about the desire to collect these things starting to evaporate.

Hi JT,

I sent you a pm w/ details in regards to picking me up one INC figure. Please respond. Thanks.