Hybrid View

Star Trek "MM" substitutes

ok...so it's not Star Wars at all, so I hope you'll forgive me, but given that there are still some of the "old guard" around who might yet be interested in MM scale ships, I thought I'd post this.

Please forgive if this is cross-posted elsewhere here.

While scouring eBay for additions to my ship collections, I came across a relatively new line of ships from WizKids. The producers of Heroclix. They've released a line of Star Trek pieces that are almost perfect scale with the old Trek MM ships. They've even made the rather gutsy move of producing some molds that many of us clamoured for back in the day like the Nova class (Rhode Island and Equinox) and, the Saber class (Montgolfier and Yeager) and a variety of Klingon vessels.

So far I've only picked up the Nova class and Saber class listed above, but can in all honesty say they look fantastic! The paint apps are spot on (even if the mold for the Rhode Island isn't exactly right) and they're made from sturdier plastic than the MM ships.

I, for one, an overjoyed to see more tiny Trek ships coming in!

I do plan to post some comparison pics in the next couple of weeks when I receive some more ships in, but in the interim, here's a link to a review that includes some comparison shots you may find interesting.

http://www.figures.com/forums/news/1...arter-set.html

The Wizkids site has a store locator so you can find dealers near you that they list as vendors they have already supplied. http://wizkidsgames.com/

Happy hunting all!

Ross W. Jarvis

Enjoy and happy hunting!
    Great Traders - cloneemperor, Val Da Car, Kidhuman
    Sorely Missed - R2Dee2 & Vulcantouch

Hey there Ross, long time no see!

It always bugs me that Heroclix are stuck to their bases. Still, some Trek is better than none. The overall sculpts look decent, the paint looks decent although clearly some key stuff missing too.

One thing that caught my eye was the over-wide bridge on the Vor'Cha, and the large RCS thrusters on Voyager. Excelsior is pretty skinny too.

The other thing that didn't get mentioned over there was the $5 per ship pricetag: ACK! What is this world coming to??? (It's coming to five dollars a ship apparently! )

So, are the molds brittle or do they feel like they'll hold up under a fall? MMs weren't too soft but not so hard that they'd break either (it helps too that they were removable from their stands tho).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Hey Ross! Hey JT! Long time no see!
    I picked up a few Clix (Yeager, Ent-E, Somraw, Sutherland, Negh'var from Tactics and the KBC & JJ-prise from Expeditions) and, like Ross, I'm quite happy with all of them: nice paint and detail for their size. I'll grab more at some point, methinks. The ships themselves are durable (not bendy like MM but not brittle) but the stands break off quite easily (got the Ent-E for free when it arrived with a broken-off stand, actually).
    Nitpicks: registry # but no "USS Enterprise" on Ent-E and poorly painted secondary hull, no paint on Yeager's deflector, exaggerated escape pods on many ships, many others But really, they're all worthwhile, especially the Negh'var and the "new" Kobayashi Maru KBC.
    BTW, Wizkids just announced a Romulan expansion pack for Fleet Captains in October so we expect painted Tactics versions shortly thereafter. EDIT: pic here: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-rX8tmMRc_T...+expansion.jpg

A new partwork (UK-only right now) called the Star Trek Official Starships Collection was just announced and is hitting some shops in England now. Looks very, very cool to me:
    http://startrek-starships.com/model-st.html

Really hope that Diamond picks them up for distribution in N. America, like the DeAgostini SW lines. The stands suck but $15 seems very reasonable for 5-6" diecast and plastic ships, IMHO.
    We might finally be getting some awesome rarities (i.e. Akira, Defiant, Dominion ships) in the near future. Woo hoo!
    Anybody know anything about Eaglemoss?
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.

These new Micro Machine style game, is giving me a tiny bit of hope that Hasbro will relook at Micro Machines and the Action Fleet.
    "I'm a simple man, trying to make my way in the universe." - Jango Fett

LET'S GO PENS!!!! LET'S GO PENS!!!!

Hey there Duranium! Kinda weird that they left off the ship's name from the registry paint. Also, the stands breaking off is odd, do they break off at the base or at the ship? I'm guessing the latter.

"Molded in color" on those Klingon ships means no paint, right?

Diamond distributed the DeAgostini line? How had I not heard of this until now? I read other SW collecting sites too, nothing.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Hey there Duranium! Kinda weird that they left off the ship's name from the registry paint. Also, the stands breaking off is odd, do they break off at the base or at the ship? I'm guessing the latter.
    Yep, you nailed it, JT: the peg tends to break off at the ship. Another one of my ships sat at a slightly wonky angle so I had to break it off and re-glue it, too. Luckily, it doesn't show at all on either one but I dunno if I'd want to use those 2 for actual gaming: Krazy Glue has limitations.

"Molded in color" on those Klingon ships means no paint, right?
    The earlier Fleet Captains ships were either all-green or all-white (despite earlier Wizkids advertising to the contrary) but the Expeditions and Tactics ships are fully painted. If you're referring to these new Romulan FC ships (not the Klingons'), it looks like they're moulded in 2 shades of green... but this could be the old bait and switch again: hard to say what "Molded In Color" means, eh? If they are fully painted, I'll pick some up; if not, I'll chill and wait for the Tactics again. Are you planning on picking up any of the above? Tempted?

Diamond distributed the DeAgostini line? How had I not heard of this until now? I read other SW collecting sites too, nothing.
    Hehe, dunno how you missed it, mate. Diamond distributed the UK version of the partwork in N. America (distributed by DA/Atlas elsewhere) about 3-6 months behind the UK. The last 12 releases got butchered by DA due to production problems (mis-matched magazines/models and in a funky order) but all 81 ships were eventually released over here. The exception: the Death Star (I) was only released in continental Europe.
    http://www.diamondcomics.com/Home/1/...ticleID=111357
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.