Page 8 of 31 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast
    I liked this episode much more than "Front Runners." It advanced the story along well and set it up for the final episode, which looks like good fun from the Season Five trailer (with the introduction of the Droid Gunships and help from an unexpected ally). I liked the General Tandin character - I can't remember who he reminds me of, though, but the alliance of the rebels with his army beefs up the cause considerably. Some of the new tech, like the one-way shield and the electroguillotine, was pretty slick.

Oh, and that was one seriously ugly Twi'lek child in the opening scene.

In other news, Cartoon Network has images from the upcoming episode "The Gathering," which is clearly part of the young Jedi Knights arc that was previewed at CVI. So it looks like this won't be its own series after all - at least for now. This arc will help fill in more of the gaps before "Revival," since it should portray Grievous destroying Hondo's compound, as described in that episode. And it looks like Wookiee Jedi are back in the canon again!
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

"Tipping Points" was pretty great - definitely the best episode of the arc and a fitting conclusion to the story. The introduction of the Droid Gunships helped make the Separatists more of a credible threat than they are often shown, and I liked the effect of their ray shields and explosions. Hondo was the earlier, jewelry-free model, and we'll get to see his base get destroyed by Grievous at some point in the next arc, which is the Young Jedi Knights series (moved up to come before the Rush Clovis story). The facial animation was really great and seemed a step above the last few episodes - maybe different studios worked on them, as is sometimes the case. But it really helped to sell the characters' "acting," especially in the scene on Coruscant between Anakin and Obi-Wan.

Spoilers ahead . . .

I though they could have had Ahsoka attempt to save Steela earlier than she did, but Steela's death was still quite effective and sad. They didn't really play up her jealousy, as that could have been shown as the reason she saved Lux instead of Steela, but Ahsoka seemed fine with Lux having feelings for Steela, as she learned that purpose must come before feelings and seemed to follow through with that message. Kalani shooting Sanjay Rash was pretty unexpected and interesting, too.

I can't say I was surprised by any of the events of the episode, but I felt they were done effectively, and with strong emotions. Some SW references within SW: a quick "for luck"-type kiss, and something-I'm-forgetting-now when they mount the flying creatures (a total ripoff of Avatar, BTW ). I also thought of Battlestar Galactica when the droid circular ship said "by your command" and flew away. I liked the episode, too.
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I can't say I was surprised by any of the events of the episode, but I felt they were done effectively, and with strong emotions. Some SW references within SW: a quick "for luck"-type kiss, and something-I'm-forgetting-now when they mount the flying creatures (a total ripoff of Avatar, BTW ). I also thought of Battlestar Galactica when the droid circular ship said "by your command" and flew away. I liked the episode, too.
    The quote was Lux saying "What good will that do her if she gets herself killed?" At the TCW panel at CVI, Lucas mentioned that the battle was their homage to Avatar, and said something like "it's just as good as Avatar for 1/1000th the price."

Oh, and this episode had some nice funny little moments as well - the fambaa sitting on the battle droid at the beginning was goofy (but played well), and Hondo's remarks to Steela had me laughing. This episode was a good mix of emotion, action, and occasional humor, making it feel truly like Star Wars in tone.

I was also struck by the giant crowd scene at the end - they never would have been able to do something like that before, so it's always good to see how they're able to push the show forward visually.

People mostly covered the comments I'd make, but I really liked the episode as well.

More on that: the Droid Gunships were cool, and I've always been a fan of Hondo Ohnaka's since his introduction when he captures a Sith Lord - that played out as pretty funny (in Season One).
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Oh, I forgot to mention Hondo now using a luxury space yacht craft like Lando Calrissian's Lady Luck in the expanded universe is a fun touch.

Or maybe that somehow IS the Lady Luck? But one of Lando's first ships was the Millennium Falcon (I think it was his first ship but I can't remember. I have to read the Young Lando Adventures and Hutt Gambit (Han Solo trilogy) again. Plus Lando would be only about 10 years old when these events are going on. (Han Solo is 2 years younger if my facts are correct).

Ages in ANH:

Han: 29
    Luke / Leia: 19
    Lando: 31
    Chewie: 200
    Darth Vader (Anakin): 41
    Obi-Wan: 56
    Yoda: 896

I'm not sure about Palpatine
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Oh, I forgot to mention Hondo now using a luxury space yacht craft like Lando Calrissian's Lady Luck in the expanded universe is a fun touch.

Or maybe that somehow IS the Lady Luck? But one of Lando's first ships was the Millennium Falcon (I think it was his first ship but I can't remember. I have to read the Young Lando Adventures and Hutt Gambit (Han Solo trilogy) again. Plus Lando would be only about 10 years old when these events are going on. (Han Solo is 2 years younger if my facts are correct).

Ages in ANH:

Han: 29
    Luke / Leia: 19
    Lando: 31
    Chewie: 200
    Darth Vader (Anakin): 41
    Obi-Wan: 56
    Yoda: 896

I'm not sure about Palpatine
    Hondo's ship is called Fortune and Glory, which is an Indiana Jones reference. It's supposed to be the same class as the Lady Luck, similar to a ship used by Cad Bane, Moralo Eval, and Obi-Wan (in disguise as Rako Hardeen) last season.

Anakin turns 10 at the end of TPM, meaning he is 20 in AOTC, 23 in ROTS, and 42 in ANH. Obi-Wan is 25 in TPM, so he is 35 in AOTC, 38 in ROTS, and 57 in ANH. Palpatine is 50 in TPM, 60 in AOTC, 63 in ROTS, 82 at the time of ANH, 85 in ESB, and 86 in ROTJ. You're right on the other ages.

Thanks JabbaJohn.

Technically, 1 year off is pretty good - especially with Anakin since he actually is 9 years old during part of TPM.

But with regards to two other important characters, Han and Lando, being that they are now feasibly around 10 years old during the Clone Wars (the same age as some young Clones), maybe there's a way for them to appear?

I still like my idea of:

1) the Jango DNA is over-used and dilluted
    2) they find a new source for the DNA during the Clone Wars, and it is the "father" of Han Solo.
    3) the Jango clones resent the "replacements" and you see some of that (and it sets up Boba Fett's dislike for Han).
    4) during the fighting, the kids accelerated 5 years but looking 10, have to fight to survive, and young Han is separated from his squad
    5) THEN IN ACCORDANCE TO AC CRISPIN'S "Han Solo Trilogy," young Han is found on the streets of Corellia by Shrike
    6) Han's bred to yearn for a soldier's life, so he does all he can to achieve his dream of becoming an Imperial officer
    7) of course, he's court-martialed and kicked out for saving Chewie ("The Hutt Gambit" novel)

The rest we know.

But it fits with all the EU and the capabilities Han Solo shows in the OT.

Ahsoka gets shot in the back by a spaceship so hard that it singes the front of her body, and yet she's essentially FINE a few moments later?!? That was asking too much, I felt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I was also struck by the giant crowd scene at the end - they never would have been able to do something like that before, so it's always good to see how they're able to push the show forward visually.
    The long shot of that crowd was horrible though, red yellow green red yellow green red yellow green, something like that, the same layout of the irregularity of their positioning, it was too many repeating patterns at once ant it stuck out for me. It also makes me wonder why Lucas didn't take some of the ILM crowd software and have it implemented the animation studio doing this.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I'm looking at a few images from tomorrow morning's episode, and it appears there will be a little Wookiee as one of the Jedi younglings hunting their lightsaber crystals. I wasn't going to use that image in the article because it's too stark, but I'll attach it here
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACW_IA_104014_R-.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	16.8 KB 
ID:	26732
    and closeup:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ACW_IA_104014_R-c.jpg 
Views:	105 
Size:	37.1 KB 
ID:	26733

I guess Lucas has changed his tune on that issue finally.

The article is posted, taken from the Lucasfilm press release, and the trivia is interesting, especially these:
    The notion of lightsabers being powered by mystical crystals find their roots in the “Kyber crystal” concept in the early draft scripts of Star Wars, a mystical gem said to amplify the power of the Force.
    The crystals are colorless until the young Jedi holds it, upon which it becomes attuned to the Force-user. This appears to be what governs the colors of Jedi lightsabers.
    The latter one is what I've always felt was appropriate, the nature of the Force within the user dictates the color of the blade, hence the green of Luke's ROTJ saber signifies his darker tendencies, and as such Qui-Gon's saber is also green as he's a rogue from the Jedi beliefs (I would have liked to have seen more of Qui-Gon going outside the light side to get his goals, not full Dark Side stuff but definitely more gray). Anakin being a good man before Vader killed him though works only on paper, not the prequel characters we saw scowling and doing naughty things all the way back to Jake Lloyd.

As for the gems amplifying the Force, does that mean lightsabers are Force powered, or merely Force-tuned weapons based on that universe's science? Han used a saber so obviously they're not powered by the user himself, so it'd be the entirety of the Force around.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.