Page 10 of 31 FirstFirst ... 6789101112131420 ... LastLast
    I thought the lightsaber selection was EXACTLY like the HP scene. Lots of ANH imagery and references, too: inner corridors of the ship looked just like the Falcon, especially when the younglings trained with remotes; lone Jedi holds off attacking villain(s) to allow comrades to escape; docking with a captured ship, then exploding the hatch to burst inside; ordering a hatch opening via comlink.

I also had fun trying to find recognizable saber hilts in the droid's hologram (saw ROJ Luke, ROTS/ANH Vader/Luke clearly).
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Quote Originally Posted by Battle Droid View Post
    I hated The Gathering, A Test of Strength was better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I also liked this one better than last week's. The twist at the end as they were escaping from the pirates' ship wasn't far-fetched at all, but I still didn't expect it. The younglings worked well as a team and as individuals. Hondo is a good villain; flawed but effective in his schemes.
    I am with you guys, this was a WAY better episode than The Gathering.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    I didn't realize that was David Tennant as the droid until I just noticed the story on this site. I'll have to pay attention to his voice in the next episode. The scene where he was trying to figure out what the Wookiee's lightsaber should be reminded me of when Harry Potter got his wand.
    I put up the article in advance about it being him so I couldn't help but notice that it was the 10th Doctor. That said, Tennant was BRILLIANT, he was on a whole other level from the rest of the series, he was wise and funny and whimsical and strong and magical and a DROID! His performance as Huyang (what an odd name for a droid) blew me away, that was a cinema-quality performance; the only drawback about his performance is that it made all the Jedi kids and Ahsoka's voice work seem amateurish by comparison (although the Hondo voice work and some of the pirates was better than usual). It did have a bit of the Harry Potter scene to it though, I hadn't made that connection but you're totally right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    I thought the lightsaber selection was EXACTLY like the HP scene. Lots of ANH imagery and references, too: inner corridors of the ship looked just like the Falcon, especially when the younglings trained with remotes; lone Jedi holds off attacking villain(s) to allow comrades to escape; docking with a captured ship, then exploding the hatch to burst inside; ordering a hatch opening via comlink.

I also had fun trying to find recognizable saber hilts in the droid's hologram (saw ROJ Luke, ROTS/ANH Vader/Luke clearly).
    Yeah, tons of ANH imagery, my favorite would be the burning of the hatch. This episode looked amazing, the quality of the visuals was kicked way up for this one (except Hondo's new skin which is still WAY too flat for the paint they gave it), the shots of the ships in space looked so much better and more dramatic even just sitting there than TCW has ever achieved in the past. This episode was much more cinematic in quality... except for the kiddies and Ahsoka, where the writing just left them to a bunch of Home Alone-type antics. That said, Ahsoka did space someone, which I think is the first time we've seen anyone overtly do that in Star Wars (the TIE Pilot in ESB that got hit by an asteroid was spaced assuming he wasn't fried or smashed first, but he's only visible for a second), so there was some serious stuff too. Oh, and the pirates were more varied and menacing (that fat one looked like he was wearing a bib, that was an odd armor design), but that also left me with more issues with the kids not really being written to the same level. Petro's gag was clever especially when they set him up to seem like yet again he'd be the bad seed - maybe he's the Qui-Gon of the bunch - but generally once again these didn't feel like Jedi children, they felt like children pretending to be Jedi.

So, why aren't there any acolytes on the ship doing the basics? Why is is being piloted by R2 and nobody else? Where did Yoda go, did he just stay on Ilum? How are the kids supposed to feel the Force guide the building of their sabers yet also follow the diagram? Why did they have Hondo planning to sell Ahsoka as a slave sound a bit rapey about it?

Obi-Wan's saber is what you saw in the saber hologram, not Luke's. You can tell it's Obi-Wan's by the cuts in the upper grip and by the disc belt-attachment. I thought it was funny that Kit Fisto's generic saber was there, there was even one on the ship, it's the hilt Hasbro included with a ton of figures between 2002 and 2008 or so.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I really liked this episode's sense of history, especially surrounding Huyang (and his listing of previously-unmentioned materials and battles) and the ship (which had Old Republic symbols). The lightsaber selection process really did remind me a lot of Harry Potter, but in a good way - I like that they're making the lightsaber construction process individualized to the Jedi so it's not just something they can pick up off a shelf. And even though I haven't seen any Doctor Who, David Tennant was indeed great as Huyang. Hopefully he'll be put back together for next week's episode.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    So, why aren't there any acolytes on the ship doing the basics? Why is is being piloted by R2 and nobody else? Where did Yoda go, did he just stay on Ilum? How are the kids supposed to feel the Force guide the building of their sabers yet also follow the diagram? Why did they have Hondo planning to sell Ahsoka as a slave sound a bit rapey about it?
    Yoda was already on Ilum when they got there, so I assume he has another ride. The kids probably need the diagram for the basics, like issues with the circuitry, but the specifics are up to them and what they feel in the Force.

The Hondo-Ahsoka moment at the end was weird, I agree - it would have been less creepy without him caressing her lip. I keep trying to remember where everything takes place in the timeline. I guess it's not that difficult - Anakin goes to Florrum to have Hondo run guns to Onderon, then Hondo captures Ahsoka here, and then later Obi-Wan works with him to fight Maul and Opress. It's interesting to see Hondo switching sides so often, showing that he really is in it only for the money.

I took it that Ahsoka's people are routinely taken to be slaves, including sex slaves, like the Twi'leks.

Hondo knows he could sell Ahsoka, though she'd never be able to be kept as a slave. Hondo doesn't care about that. He just wants the money. Like Hasbro still gets paid even if it breaks after you buy it. By that reasoning, Ahsoka just has to sell.

But I love Hondo! Great character.

In CW, amongst the new villains, I think Cad Bane outshown him in early popularity, but Hondo is a richer, more complex character. Bane's never helped the Jedi or allied himself with someone he hasn't probaby planned to betray. He seems personally angry with the Jedi. Contrast that with Hondo, and he'll work with the Jedi as we've seen a few times now.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I really liked this episode's sense of history, especially surrounding Huyang (and his listing of previously-unmentioned materials and battles) and the ship (which had Old Republic symbols). The lightsaber selection process really did remind me a lot of Harry Potter, but in a good way - I like that they're making the lightsaber construction process individualized to the Jedi so it's not just something they can pick up off a shelf. And even though I haven't seen any Doctor Who, David Tennant was indeed great as Huyang. Hopefully he'll be put back together for next week's episode.
    The press release for last week's episode said Tennant would be voicing Huyang for all 3 episodes remaining in the arc.

Yoda was already on Ilum when they got there, so I assume he has another ride. The kids probably need the diagram for the basics, like issues with the circuitry, but the specifics are up to them and what they feel in the Force.
    I figured Yoda just hobbled off the ship first and hustled over while Ahsoka was giving the kiddies a pep talk. How wasteful of Yoda to fly there on his own.

The Hondo-Ahsoka moment at the end was weird, I agree - it would have been less creepy without him caressing her lip. I keep trying to remember where everything takes place in the timeline. I guess it's not that difficult - Anakin goes to Florrum to have Hondo run guns to Onderon, then Hondo captures Ahsoka here, and then later Obi-Wan works with him to fight Maul and Opress. It's interesting to see Hondo switching sides so often, showing that he really is in it only for the money.
    Ugh, no more timeline bending! So frustrating! I didn't know about that.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Preview of this week's episode Bound for Rescue, it looks pretty awesome!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Nrul2fsQdro

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    Ugh, no more timeline bending! So frustrating! I didn't know about that.
    Yup. It's not as crazy as it has been in the past, but the end of Season Four and beginning of Season Five go like this, from what I understand:

Darth Maul returns
    - "Nightsisters"
    - "Bounty"
    - "Brothers" (the Darth Maul Returns DVD has "Brothers" taking place concurrently with "Nightsisters" and "Bounty")
    - "Revenge"
    Onderon rebellion
    - "A War on Two Fronts"
    - "Front Runners"
    - "The Soft War"
    - "Tipping Points"
    Rush Clovis arc - not yet aired
    - "An Old Friend"
    - "The Rise of Clovis"
    - "Crisis of the Heart"
    Young Jedi
    - "The Gathering"
    - "A Test of Strength"
    - "Bound for Rescue"
    - "A Necessary Bond"
    Darth Maul recruits pirates
    - "Revival"
    Astromech droid/Republic Commando arc - not yet aired
    - "Secret Weapons"
    - "A Sunny Day in the Void"
    - "Missing in Action"
    - "Point of No Return"
    Darth Maul works with criminal underworld - not yet aired
    - "Eminence"
    - "Shades of Reason"
    - "The Lawless"

The Rush Clovis episodes were produced and originally meant to air before the young Jedi arc. In the young Jedi arc, Hondo's base will be destroyed by Grievous, resulting in the mess it was in during "Revival." There's a young reader book coming out in January that adapts "Revival" and the three upcoming Darth Maul episodes, so it's possible that the astromech droid arc takes place either before or after the entirety of the Maul episodes. I guess we'll have to see.

Oh, and this week's episode does look awesome - but it's also apparently the only appearance of Grievous this season, which is too bad. I guess that's bound to happen when you keep introducing new villains all the time.

With regards to new villains and recurring movie characters...

PT main characters are Obi-Wan, Anakin, Padme - and Padme could use a little focus this season.

With CW, they brought in Ahsoka because the writers wanted to have a leading lady with Force powers. Barriss wasn't as useful since they wanted to keep the focus on Anakin and he wouldn't be training Luminara's apprentice. I'm not even sure if she's not Knighted now? The CW made her younger than I thought she was so she and Ahsoka could be peers.

As to villains - you're right. Grievous needs to have a "check-in." Now I've loved Cad Bane and especially Hondo Ohnaka.

How about bringing Bossk back in for a job? Are he and Boba Fett in prison now? Where's Aurra Sing? (Ventress was used very well and just enough).

How about show some movie characters in villainous plots: Senator Tiikes? Rogwa Woodrata, Shu Mai, Passal Argente?

And Sailbarge toy petitioners know that seeing Jabba again might only help the petition cause.

They also could bring to life some of Dooku's other Dark Jedi that were in the comics - like the figure Hasbro made from the 2-pack with Ventress - the other blonde dude that Obi-Wan and Quinlan Vos challenged.

Not sure exactly when Quinlan disposed of him - and speaking of which...
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    With CW, they brought in Ahsoka because the writers wanted to have a leading lady with Force powers. Barriss wasn't as useful since they wanted to keep the focus on Anakin and he wouldn't be training Luminara's apprentice. I'm not even sure if she's not Knighted now? The CW made her younger than I thought she was so she and Ahsoka could be peers.

As to villains - you're right. Grievous needs to have a "check-in." Now I've loved Cad Bane and especially Hondo Ohnaka.

How about bringing Bossk back in for a job? Are he and Boba Fett in prison now? Where's Aurra Sing? (Ventress was used very well and just enough).

How about show some movie characters in villainous plots: Senator Tiikes? Rogwa Woodrata, Shu Mai, Passal Argente?
    Barriss hasn't been on in a while, so she could have been knighted by this point. She was briefly seen flying in her Jedi Starfighter during the Citadel arc in Season Three, but hasn't been seen since then.

Boba and Bossk are free - they escaped during the Season Four Cad Bane arc and worked with Ventress in "Bounty." Boba was tied up and given to Belugan leader Otua Blanc instead of the bride he wanted, but Bossk was fine. I assume they are going about their bounty hunter business, based on Tatooine.

Confusingly, it seems that Aurra's first appearance is chronologically her most recent - from Season One's finale, "Hostage Crisis." (The Season Two Boba Fett vs. Mace Windu arc takes place before the Season Three Alderaan episode, which reveals that Ziro is still in jail, and he is freed in Season One's "Hostage Crisis.") So she seems to be free as well - she was incarcerated after trying to kill Padmé on Alderaan and was freed by the Hutts offscreen so she could help free Ziro and bring him to Nal Hutta to answer for the kidnapping of Rotta.

Tikkes was designed and planned to be in the Season Four Mon Cala arc but was removed since there were already several similar characters so he was dropped. For whatever reason there seems to be a very small movement to get him into the show, so I bet he will show up at some point.

On that note, Nute Gunray is still free but hasn't shown up since Season One, and Wat Tambor is still in prison.

And we have San Hill - who was imprisoned during the Gennedy series when Anakin was still a padawan and the Republic took control over Muunlist from Durge and the IG Lancer Droids.

If that still counts.

Separatists:

Nute - at large (Trade Federation)
    San Hill - ?? (Inter-Galactic Banking Clan)
    Poggle the Lesser - ?? (Baktoid Armor)
    Passal Argente - ?? (Corporate Alliance)
    Shu Mai - ?? (she might be interesting to deal with if they draw her well) (Commerce Guild)
    Po Nudo - ?? - would be very interesting!! and maybe we'd see Ponda Baba and a young Evazan on Ando?
    Tiikes - Mon Calamari (Quarren government representative to the Senate)
    Rogwa Woodrata - not sure, but this is the creature we used to mistake for that other big Separatist alien

Wat Tambor - we have to see him freed before ROTS - good job for young Boba? I know Cad Bane could handle it. Maybe introduce IG-88? (Techno-Union at any rate).

Donald Trump - whoops. Wrong thread. My mistake...