Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
    Just finished watching this one. Not sure, but it could be worst one I've ever seen. How do you hit things in hyperspace (doesn't it just pull the ship into realspace when near a solid body?) Reminded me of Star Tours, the first one (including the pit droid's voice like REX's). No footprints? Then birds show up to run? Hot but no sun? That weird echo of their voices? Far too much "banter" from droids. Huh? This is part of the Disney-ification I fear with the new films, even if these episodes were done before the deal.
    'It is always nice to see you, says the Besalisk at the counter... And instead I pour blue milk...' From "Dex's Diner" by Su-San Vega

This wasn't even an episode of the show to me, it was an exercise in trying to be a Loony Toons short and flailing at it with little sense (WAC as Daffy Duck-lite and Gascon as a mix of several types: Elmer Fudd in trying to fake dignity, Yosemite Sam in demands for respect despite going off half-cocked, and perhaps Foghorn Leghorn in bluster). I suppose that makes it possibly the worst episode of The Clone Wars in that respect. There wasn't any real story arc in this, and definitely no character arc, they simply backpedaled Col. Gascon back to square one where he started last week. The droids barely did anything either, they disappeared for half the episode only to prove themselves "right" except since this wasn't a fully-realized script it didn't actually result in anything.

As to the question of hitting things in hyperspace, Lucas' previous comments say that celestial bodies' gravity wells are the real danger to ships as flying too near a large body's gravity will tear a vessel in hyperspace to bits (although ANH itself says they could fly through a star which muddies that a bit, but perhaps that could be referring to an outer layer of a star where its gravity and atmosphere are weaker but still disastrous for a ship in hyperspace in some way). However, smaller bodies don't seem to affect it that way, look at ANH when the Falcon drops out of hyperspace into the middle of a meteor shower, the bodies don't affect the Falcon until the ship is back into realspace.

The no footprints thing didn't bother me at first, the planet might not have dust, but then they show the astromechs caked with dust. I could argue that the surface was too hard, there might be a constant wind keeping dust from settling, but that's a bit of a stretch.

The planet being hot but having no sun, I guess the writers were trying to suggest a rogue planet with an atmosphere thick enough to retain more of its core heat. Compared to the Mortis episodes, this planet was more scientifically supported but more difficultly expressed as a believable concept.

According to Filoni, this episode was intended to be inspired by the art of Moebius and the empty room of THX-1138, but I think they missed making compelling characters to have the driving conversations, or actions and needs to move the characters along. Basically, this felt like a quarter of an idea that didn't start or get anywhere. More directly, I suppose it proves that good inspirations are not all that one needs to get by.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

When the DVD set for this season comes out, this is what a title menu will be for: to make it easy for the user to skip all these droid episodes.

Is it the worst episode of Clone Wars? We'll at least have to wait until next week's to find out.

Yes, I watched it like I'd watch a Looney Tunes show. It's nice to have something to stare at that moves, lest you have to get up off your couch and wash the dishes.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Well, I liked the comet sequence - hyperspace questions aside, it was visually very interesting. After that it was . . . eh. I do like the idea of this episode, and of a completely barren planet, but as a 22 minute show it didn't really work too well. The highlight was probably Colonel Gascon's descent into madness, as the internal conflict was more interesting than any external conflict after a while, but it felt like it happened a little too quickly.

I'm still keeping "Corruption" as the worst episode ever, since that didn't even really have all that interesting of an idea to go off of - yeah, exploring corrupt bureaucracy could theoretically make for a good episode, but at least "A Sunny Day in the Void" has the weird and unique factor going for it so it was a much better jumping-off point that they didn't take advantage of as much as they should have. This one wasn't gratingly bad or annoying to me, it just never really justified its existence.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Someone pointed out on Facebook that the body in the wreckage looks an awful lot like a certain green rabbit. This doesn't quite justify the episode's existence, but it's pretty damn awesome.

So his species is definitely confirmed, and an online comic confirmed he was a wanted fugitive at the time of the Clone Wars.

So why is it so bloody hard to get a proper Jaxxon appearance? If he'd just show up on this series, we might have a shot at getting him in action figure form, making so many starving children in Somalia very, very happy. C'mon Lucasfilm Disney, you don't hate starving children in Somalia, do you?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Is it the worst episode of Clone Wars? We'll at least have to wait until next week's to find out.
    Not next week, this is the last episode of the year, the next new episode date is not yet announced. So it's another long cliffhanger, only this time nobody cares how it turns out.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Well, I liked the comet sequence - hyperspace questions aside, it was visually very interesting. After that it was . . . eh. I do like the idea of this episode, and of a completely barren planet, but as a 22 minute show it didn't really work too well. The highlight was probably Colonel Gascon's descent into madness, as the internal conflict was more interesting than any external conflict after a while, but it felt like it happened a little too quickly.
    If it had been a character we were more invested in, someone who either we knew or was more rounded and not such a one-off, I could have bought into the descent into madness idea, but not only did it happen too quickly (which lent to its cartoonishness) it also was a one-dimensional jerk of a character we weren't meant to like or identify with who was entirely different from anything else in the Clone Wars universe.

The comets looked better in Star Tours.

I'm still keeping "Corruption" as the worst episode ever, since that didn't even really have all that interesting of an idea to go off of - yeah, exploring corrupt bureaucracy could theoretically make for a good episode, but at least "A Sunny Day in the Void" has the weird and unique factor going for it so it was a much better jumping-off point that they didn't take advantage of as much as they should have. This one wasn't gratingly bad or annoying to me, it just never really justified its existence.
    "Corruption" was pretty unbearable but I'd say it was only 3rd worst, behind "Sunny Day" and "Senate Murders". "Corruption" faltered in being preachy and in trying to focus a whole story on a planet and people we had no interest in, making it too self-contained, nobody cared if Mandalore's children got their milk or whatever that story was - corruption has long been an accepted part of the Star Wars universe, it's how characters like Han Solo exist, so there's no way a single episode about a single culture's exceptionally minor problem with it will matter to the larger show, but at the same time it was always going somewhere whereas "Sunny Day" really spun its wheels and got rid of anybody we'd want to watch.

Someone pointed out on Facebook that the body in the wreckage looks an awful lot like a certain green rabbit. This doesn't quite justify the episode's existence, but it's pretty damn awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    So his species is definitely confirmed, and an online comic confirmed he was a wanted fugitive at the time of the Clone Wars.

So why is it so bloody hard to get a proper Jaxxon appearance? If he'd just show up on this series, we might have a shot at getting him in action figure form, making so many starving children in Somalia very, very happy. C'mon Lucasfilm Disney, you don't hate starving children in Somalia, do you?
    Wow, that's pretty weird that Jaxxon got a dark cameo.

Starving children in Somalia can't buy merchandise and double-dipped home video releases and park-hopper tickets and mouse-shaped soft pretzels, so I don't think Disney cares about them.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    "Corruption" was pretty unbearable but I'd say it was only 3rd worst, behind "Sunny Day" and "Senate Murders". "Corruption" faltered in being preachy and in trying to focus a whole story on a planet and people we had no interest in, making it too self-contained, nobody cared if Mandalore's children got their milk or whatever that story was - corruption has long been an accepted part of the Star Wars universe, it's how characters like Han Solo exist, so there's no way a single episode about a single culture's exceptionally minor problem with it will matter to the larger show, but at the same time it was always going somewhere whereas "Sunny Day" really spun its wheels and got rid of anybody we'd want to watch.
    Oh God, I forgot about "Senate Murders" - maybe I tried to forget. You're right, that's got to be on the list as well.

Hopefully this arc picks up with Gregor the Republic Commando. The back halves of the last two seasons have been significantly better than the first halves (in general, though there have been good and bad episodes throughout), so I'm hoping this year will follow the same pattern - all the "WOW" moments from the trailers have yet to appear this season, anyway.

Was the Senate murders one the episode where Padme and Bail Organa had to figure out who killed Onaconda Farr?

I liked that one. There was a great political undertone to it about Kamino's military contracts just like in the real world today.

And ordinary people (not Jedi) had to get around on Corsucant and solve political crimes with hold-out guns and their own best reasoning skills being their best protection.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Oh God, I forgot about "Senate Murders" - maybe I tried to forget. You're right, that's got to be on the list as well.
    When something is that bad, I tend to be unable to forget it.

Hopefully this arc picks up with Gregor the Republic Commando. The back halves of the last two seasons have been significantly better than the first halves (in general, though there have been good and bad episodes throughout), so I'm hoping this year will follow the same pattern - all the "WOW" moments from the trailers have yet to appear this season, anyway.
    I'm confident the Republic Commando section is going to be better than this, "Sunny Day" was hard to watch. I remember the preview footage from it and the buildings remind me of the ghost town at the end of this episode, so I'm guessing we'll have the CIS arrive soon enough and it'll take place there.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Was the Senate murders one the episode where Padme and Bail Organa had to figure out who killed Onaconda Farr?

I liked that one. There was a great political undertone to it about Kamino's military contracts just like in the real world today.

And ordinary people (not Jedi) had to get around on Corsucant and solve political crimes with hold-out guns and their own best reasoning skills being their best protection.
    Well, it was the one where Padme and Bail tried to figure out who killed Onaconda Farr.