Page 25 of 31 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    It's not unreasonable that the Jedi should be answerable to the military since they are generals and commanders in that military during this war. I understand that the Jedi want to handle matters like that themselves, but honestly there should have always been some consideration of transparency once they joined with the Republic military.

I found this an adequately enjoyable episode, but there were a couple frustrations that held me back from loving it. The first is how inept both sides of the Republic trial were, the fasttracking of this trial was ludicrous, and then Padme forgot to actually gather any evidence to present, so Anakin's running around doing everything and nobody is presenting what he's gathering because of a phony ticking clock. This issue really suggests to me that this arc should have been a minimum one episode longer, and probably should have had more of its elements sprinkled throughout the season.

The second issue is much smaller, Barriss Offee is the traitor we knew her to be, Anakin busts her and she whips out the Ventress sabers, Anakin gives her guff about keeping them and then she says she feels they SUIT HER! What the hell? She's fighting for the honor and integrity of the Jedi Order, she's killing people to ensure that the Jedi don't fall further into the hands of the Sith (her methods may be wrong, but her message turns out to be very true, as we learn in Ep 3), yet Ventress' evil red twin Dooku-like sabers somehow suit this Jedi all of a sudden? That was so stupid I actually groaned... loudly. That's just a dumb line though.

One thing I think was lost was the resonance on the Jedi council of Ahoska's choice, that's a moment I think that should have been held and examined, and if it doesn't resonate then I think that has to be addressed as well. But overall the final moments where the music swells and the imagery gets much more dramatic and creative, that hit hard. We didn't get nearly enough from Obi-Wan or Plo Koon throughout this episode.

Over the last 5 years, I've predicted Ahsoka might be drummed out of the order or would leave the order in disgust rather than be killed, turns out both were right. This is the ending Lucas and Filoni mapped out back when this started. Does that make this the end of the series? I don't think so, I think there have been enough rumblings to make a season 6 likely, but if that doesn't come to pass then that's ok too as I have no idea how they could address this ending anyway.

I hated Tim Curry as Palpatine, I know they had to scramble but he wasn't right at all, he sounded nothing like the character and every time his voice came out of Palpatine's mouth it looked and sounded and felt wrong. Keep in mind, Ian Abercrombie's performance was mimicking Ian McDiarmid's performance, so it wouldn't have been disrespectful to have another person in that place do the work.

Seeing the younglings and Pietro, all I could think was "you're all going to be dead at Anakin's hand in a few months" which bummed me out.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    And he did a fantastic job. Since it still sounds like the Palpatine we know and love.
    I couldn't disagree more, he sounded exactly like Tim Curry to me and nothing like Palpatine - it was very jarring as I wasn't expecting it - and his voice didn't really suit the mouth movements of the character on-screen or even the tone of the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Was I surprised by this finale? Somewhat? How so? Read the white text below...

I thought that Mace's comments about her great trials would've meant she would be elevated to Jedi Knight status, not Padawan. I wasn't surprised by Ahsoka's decision; I just wonder if she's gone from the series now (but I doubt it). The "wait, I have last-second evidence!" ploy was expected. Let's see where Barriss ends up. Curry's voice occasionally sounded more like Tim Curry, but for the most part, he did a good job. The new "newest" guards' uniforms are pretty cool.

Season Six might be a great way to wrap it all up, and lead into E3.
    I felt the same way about Mace's comments elevating her, especially with her face reacting to it like "you are full of crap, covering up for your own mistakes and trying to buy my silence".

I doubt if the series continues that she is gone, but perhaps she will follow Ventress' lead and try to find her way on Coruscant without her order and that we'll watch her become a civilian struggling to be something else than a Jedi.

I liked the Jedi guards, but I don't think their outfits are entirely new designs, I think we've seen them before in another medium.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

This show no longer exists to me. If I ever meet Dave Filodough, I'm going to shove Barriss Offee figures up his anus until they start coming out his nose and he suffocates on them.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Okay, that might be harsh. And a little more effort than hacks of this caliber are worth.

Seriously, why the hell purport to have any sort of continuity if it's just going to be tossed out by something inferior a few years down the road? The EU has become a joke. Create a new character for this sort of thing, or use someone who doesn't have an established backstory.

Oh, wait, this is kinda the same thing that happened with Karen Traviss and the Mandalores, isn't it? Par for the course.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Enjoyed the finale immensely.

The character animation just keeps getting better and the background/environment art is just as stunning...really great work here.

My only minor complaint here is the pacing...while it moved along at a really good clip, it almost seemed a little rushed, especially the "middle" section there...but it was still a really good finish to this story...

I'm gonna get a little spoiler-ish here with my random comments so....highlight to read please....

The end first....I absolutely loved the visual punch of Ahsoka walking away down that same staircase in twilight that Anakin ascends months later in ROTS to carry out the Jedi slaughter...gave the scene that additional dramatic edge that was just really cool....add to that the great score accompanying the fade-out that just trailed away into the credits instead of the usual iris-out blasting fanfare. It was really good...

Really liked a lot of the facial work on characters in this one, especially Anakin. Add to that the fine vocal work by Lanter and the rest of the voice cast and it just elevated the whole episode. And I didn't mind Curry...it wasn't like he was featured a lot here and...it's different to be sure....we'll see how he plays out in the future.

That great subtle move of Plo Koon putting his hand on Obi-Wan's shoulder to prevent him from following Anakin spoke volumes....again, great character work and direction here. Just a few of the many great moments this episode offered up...

And speaking of characters...two really came to the fore in this last arc of episodes. Ventress and Ahsoka both have been really allowed to grow and change to the point of becoming some of the more interesting ones in the entire saga. I've always been one of the biggest complainers about Ahsoka...she always seemed to be shoe-horned into the proceedings to appeal to the youth-girl demographic...I found myself wanting to ignore her more than pay attention in the past...but I'm ready to admit I was wrong there....she's turned out to be a really good character and with what's happened now...her refusing the Jedi Council invitation to return to the order after this ordeal...well, she just got a lot more interesting.

And Ventress...wow. Talk about an interesting twist on redemption here. She's gone from blinded-by-evil acolyte with a singular purpose to a woman who questions everything around her.

No more hairless harpee and Snips here....in fact, I think it would be great to see these two end up together somehow...either bounty-hunting or missions of mercy or some other combination of fates and adventure....

Gonna watch this whole arc of episodes all at once now....

Don't know the fate of this series...probably will end up on some Disney channel....as long as the same team doing it now is allowed to keep it up without any studio interference (yeah, fat chance of that I'm sure) it could still be interesting to see how they wind the way closer to ROTS. If not, and this turns out to be a series finale instead of just a season one....well, it's been a good, eclectic run...

Spoilers throughout this post - you should go watch the episode anyway.

I really loved this episode. If "The Lawless" was the best for action, this was probably the best for emotion and character moments. I kind of wish I had known less about it beforehand, but it all still played out very effectively.

The full orchestra really helped with the overall mood of this episode - I loved the somber take on Ahsoka's theme during the credits. The episodes that Filoni personally directs are some of the best and this was no exception - in particular everything about the final scene was just amazing, from the pacing to Anakin's acknowledgement that sometimes he wants to leave the Order (and that Ahsoka knows it). I didn't cry but it definitely got me a little choked up.

The actions of the Jedi Council at the end - trying to act like nothing had happened and that Ahsoka would want to just walk right back in - were pretty crappy and two-faced. Anakin's distrust of them in ROTS does make more sense now - I hope they build on it, but this is already very intriguing so far. This arc, more than any other, has really shown the tension between the Jedi and the Republic Senate/military. It definitely smells like Revenge of the Sith in the air and I'm really glad they're picking up on these elements.

Tim Curry was a little jarring at first, but overall I thought he did very well. Filoni mentioned that they weren't trying to get an exact soundalike but rather simply a good actor. I read somewhere that he might have appeared a little in "The Lawless," though that sounded completely like Abercrombie. The line that stuck out to me in the season premiere - "They're just petty crooks" - definitely sounds like Curry in retrospect. His Palpatine was pretty good, but I'm more interested to hear his Darth Sidious.

As JT said, the cameo from Tera Sinube and the younglings had shades of ROTS as well. Not just in the fact that they'd (presumably) be dead at Anakin's hands later, but in the way that they saw Anakin come in and take out a villain - similar to how the younglings thought Anakin was there to rescue them in ROTS.

The guards were indeed very cool - hopefully Hasbro keeps doing realistic designs from the show even though they've abandoned the animated line. I'd much rather have a figure of them than the 87th version of Biggs.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    I found this an adequately enjoyable episode, but there were a couple frustrations that held me back from loving it. The first is how inept both sides of the Republic trial were, the fasttracking of this trial was ludicrous, and then Padme forgot to actually gather any evidence to present, so Anakin's running around doing everything and nobody is presenting what he's gathering because of a phony ticking clock. This issue really suggests to me that this arc should have been a minimum one episode longer, and probably should have had more of its elements sprinkled throughout the season.
    I didn't feel it was too rushed. Obviously it didn't take place over real time, and Stephen Stanton mentioned that the Tarkin trial scene was originally longer but cut for time. This whole arc has had a deliberate pacing to it - I'm interested in seeing how it plays back-to-back. I thought Anakin's inolvement provided a good sense of urgency to the proceedings, whether or not you found it "phony." It's a device that's often used in stories like this, but I still found it effective here. Maybe another episode could have fleshed out Ahsoka's trials a little more, but the ominous mood was present throughout the whole runtime and I don't know if that aspect would have been as effective if stretched out more.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks
    One thing I think was lost was the resonance on the Jedi council of Ahoska's choice, that's a moment I think that should have been held and examined, and if it doesn't resonate then I think that has to be addressed as well. But overall the final moments where the music swells and the imagery gets much more dramatic and creative, that hit hard. We didn't get nearly enough from Obi-Wan or Plo Koon throughout this episode.
    I hope they'll follow up on that later, but the ending really had to be about Anakin and Ahsoka personally. I liked Obi-Wan's resistance to the Council early in the episode - and the follow-up that Yoda mentioned how not all of the Jedi were in agreement - but maybe Anakin will think that Obi-Wan was on their side, feeding more of his personal mistrust against Obi-Wan in ROTS. I absolutely LOVE this kind of thing.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    This show no longer exists to me. If I ever meet Dave Filodough, I'm going to shove Barriss Offee figures up his anus until they start coming out his nose and he suffocates on them.

Okay, that might be harsh. And a little more effort than hacks of this caliber are worth.

Seriously, why the hell purport to have any sort of continuity if it's just going to be tossed out by something inferior a few years down the road? The EU has become a joke. Create a new character for this sort of thing, or use someone who doesn't have an established backstory.

Oh, wait, this is kinda the same thing that happened with Karen Traviss and the Mandalores, isn't it? Par for the course.
    If I had a nickel for every time you said you'd be ignoring the show and then proceeded to complain about it, I'd be a millionaire.

I haven't read the Medstar paperbacks and you haven't watched any of the Barriss episodes so neither of us can say with 100% certainty, but it seems that nothing in this arc actively goes against the Medstar books (which, again, took place two years into the war, meaning in the EU continuity Barriss was still a Padawan for two thirds of the war). The only difference is that Anakin became a Knight earlier in this timeline than he did in the EU, and you never answered me on whether or not that specifically had any significance to the Medstar paperbacks. Exact ages aren't mentioned here, it isn't stated if Barriss is a Padawan or a Knight in this arc, and Luminara is nowhere to be found, so they could easily say she's a Knight at this point. The movies and TV show have always been of a higher canon level than the EU, and that has always been the case, even back to the days when ESB and ROTJ invalidated EU stories that had come out between the films. Lucasfilm has always been upfront about that. But if they wanted to combine the EU and the show, as I said, they could simply place those paperbacks somewhere between Season Two and Season Five with no real issues. Aside from her actions, Barriss' sentiments are correct in this arc - she's not straight-up evil and it fits with her questions about the war from Season Two. As JT said, she's actually right about the Jedi and their place in the galaxy and the fact that they're being too violent - which could fit even with her being a healer in the EU, maybe having all the carnage affect her personally.

It's really not an unsolvable issue. As to the age issue - I don't see anything wrong with her still being 20-22 so far in this show, similar to Anakin. Just because she befriends 14-16-year-old Ahsoka, that means she has to be the same age? Remember that Obi-Wan was a very gifted Jedi but he was still a Padawan until 25 (and who knows how long he would have remained that way if the events on Naboo hadn't occurred). Yes, they've blatantly changed things before, but this really isn't one of them.

Anyway, on the one hand, if the series ended without any further episodes I would still be disappointed, but now the biggest question that the series raised - if Anakin has a Padawan, where is she in ROTS? - has been somewhat answered, and this pretty nicely sets the emotional stage for ROTS, so there is some level of fulfillment there. On the other hand, it raises lots of other questions about her fate and how the fallout of this will play out, and these last two arcs have been some of the best the show has ever done, and the animation and acting just keep getting better. I've read sentiments similar to the one I posted from Ashley Eckstein from other Lucasfilm employees, in that "there are more stories to tell" and we'll soon get an announcement on those, so I'm choosing to be optimistic about the show's future. I'd still like to see the Jedi get further beaten down by the Outer Rim sieges and more of the split between the Jedi and the Republic.

Damn, I love this show.

Why not create a new character, then?

My real frustration goes to the mix of this and Force Unleashed totally undoing the previous stories. Barriss is younger (and evil, and not a healer), Dengar is much older, Greedo and Bossk are not only older but active long before previously stated, Sy Snootles is an assassin for Jabba when she should be too young to even be the luckless wannabe singer she is just before ROTJ, Anakin had a Padawan, Dathomir is well-known, Darth Maul is alive and has a brother, Jabba has a kid, Karen Traviss' books are completely wiped out of existence, etc, etc, etc. Even from a visual standpoint, all the Jedi get new duds for a short while, then go back to their old uniforms just prior to ROTS (when the war is still on). This isn't the reboot Star Trek or the post-Crisis DCU (or post-Flashpoint DCnU), where it's a new timeline and the previous stories still work in another alternate universe. This is just steamrolling over earlier stories whenever it seems like a good idea to someone at the time (and, really, is bringing freaking Darth Maul back ever a good idea?). Truth is, The Force Unleashed was worse about this than The Clone Wars is, but it's a game. Games have always been of dubious canonicity (did Jabba really hold a demolition derby with Boba Fett and Sebulba's son?). This is supposed to be highest-level canon.

Star Wars EU used to be cut-and-dry. This happened, and this happened, and that happened. There were "Infinities" outside the normal canon, but, otherwise, everything fit relatively painlessly. Sure, there were minor inconsistencies, like how the end of the original Clone Wars sorta didn't jive with Labyrinth of Evil, but it's one thing to figure out exactly where Mace is at a given time, and another to say that Mace was off-world at the beach with his lover, Kit Fisto.

It started unraveling around the time that someone decided the Marvel series was all canon, no matter how badly it fit, and brought back Lumiya. But it gets worse and worse. I pity anyone who tries to figure this s*** out now; it's worse than the Star Trek "EU" with all its contradictions. For me, it's not fun to try to decipher what happened and what didn't, particularly when the steamroller is as weakly-written as I find Clone Wars to be.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I can't really see this episode leading to ROTS, the way Obi-Wan and Anakin are pleasant together at the beginning of the episode, how Anakin really doesn't act like anything's been wrong for a while except hiding his relationship with Padme, that stuff definitely doesn't feel like an appropriate way to come off of the pain of Ahsoka's decision. Hopefully they'll get to tell some story about dealing with that in a major way - 6th season, finale movie, video game, comic book miniseries, something visual.

Hacks of George Lucas' caliber? Dave Filoni brought Avatar: The Last Airbender to fruition, that's pretty far from "hack" as well. Yes, they stepped on a character you like, it's not the first time and it likely won't be the last time, surprised you're not more used to it by now.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Why not create a new character, then?
    Creating a new character takes time and money and makes twist endings obvious.

My real frustration goes to the mix of this and Force Unleashed totally undoing the previous stories. Barriss is younger (and evil, and not a healer), Dengar is much older, Greedo and Bossk are not only older but active long before previously stated, Sy Snootles is an assassin for Jabba when she should be too young to even be the luckless wannabe singer she is just before ROTJ, Anakin had a Padawan, Dathomir is well-known, Darth Maul is alive and has a brother, Jabba has a kid, Karen Traviss' books are completely wiped out of existence, etc, etc, etc. Even from a visual standpoint, all the Jedi get new duds for a short while, then go back to their old uniforms just prior to ROTS (when the war is still on). This isn't the reboot Star Trek or the post-Crisis DCU (or post-Flashpoint DCnU), where it's a new timeline and the previous stories still work in another alternate universe. This is just steamrolling over earlier stories whenever it seems like a good idea to someone at the time (and, really, is bringing freaking Darth Maul back ever a good idea?). Truth is, The Force Unleashed was worse about this than The Clone Wars is, but it's a game. Games have always been of dubious canonicity (did Jabba really hold a demolition derby with Boba Fett and Sebulba's son?). This is supposed to be highest-level canon.

Star Wars EU used to be cut-and-dry. This happened, and this happened, and that happened. There were "Infinities" outside the normal canon, but, otherwise, everything fit relatively painlessly. Sure, there were minor inconsistencies, like how the end of the original Clone Wars sorta didn't jive with Labyrinth of Evil, but it's one thing to figure out exactly where Mace is at a given time, and another to say that Mace was off-world at the beach with his lover, Kit Fisto.

It started unraveling around the time that someone decided the Marvel series was all canon, no matter how badly it fit, and brought back Lumiya. But it gets worse and worse. I pity anyone who tries to figure this s*** out now; it's worse than the Star Trek "EU" with all its contradictions. For me, it's not fun to try to decipher what happened and what didn't, particularly when the steamroller is as weakly-written as I find Clone Wars to be.
    Barriss isn't evil, she's confused and frustrated, she sees herself as a freedom fighter and that has taken her down the rabbit-hole of "terrorist" without realizing it. I can't imagine she WANTED to frame Ahsoka or any Jedi, she's trying to protect the Jedi and the people from bureaucracy and short-sighted decisions that have led to war and destruction on a galactic scale by the order she's watching tear itself down.

Of course SW EU used to be cut & dry, there was less of it. But even in '91 with Heir to the Empire and Dark Empire, elements had to be changed and added to force them to work together, artistic freedom was compromised to try to make it work, at some point if you keep doing that it becomes pedantic and complex. Hell, take it back to the very first EU - Marvel and Splinter of the Mind's Eye - and you'll find inconsistencies that are thrown out left and right via ESB and ROTJ.

There are levels of canonicity and that's the way it's been since Leland Chee was brought on board to track this in 2000. There's an attempt to put everything in one continuity, but when there are conflicts, the higher one wins out. Wookieepedia lists them as such (though I often see TCW as being listed alongside the films since the stories are from George):
    *G-canon - George Lucas canon - the movies and related materials
    *T-canon - TV shows
    *C-canon - Continuity - modern EU
    *S-canon - Secondary canon - older EU that doesn't fit
    *N-canon - Non-canon - Infinities and things of that nature
    Things can move up in the canon if they are brought into a higher level, such as Aayla being taken from the comics and added to AOTC or S-canon characters like Lumiya being brought into C-canon stories.

As I said, Barriss isn't necessarily younger here just because she has a younger friend. And just because they don't show her as a healer in her limited appearances on the series doesn't mean she can't be a healer. (Though I'm beginning to suspect you don't actually read anything I write on this particular topic.)

We know why Ahsoka isn't in ROTS. They brought up the question in 2008 and they provided the answer today. No, he doesn't mention her in ROTS, but he also doesn't mention Ventress, Durge, or anyone else from pre-TCW EU that he had significant encounters with. The comics have been condensed to take place earlier, before Anakin gets the Padawan, but he and Obi-Wan still have gone on numerous missions without her in the TV series and not mentioned her for the duration of the episode so there are plenty of ways to take the old EU into account here if they choose to do so.

Darth Maul surviving his injuries on Naboo isn't an EU retcon, it's just saying that something we saw in TPM led to something we didn't expect. They account for this numerous times in the arc and it doesn't change anything from the EU. Most fans of the show, even ones who were apprehensive about Maul being brought back, seemed to enjoy the way it played out, so in this case I think it WAS a good idea to bring him back. (He made enough of a splash, tried to build his power, and got the smackdown when he got too powerful, so he didn't influence events outside of himself or Mandalore much at all.) And there was no EU that said he didn't have a brother. Those aren't changes, just things you disagree with or dislike.

The Jedi clothing, you can blame that on your beloved Tartakovsky microseries all the way. Anakin and Obi-Wan in TCW had the chest armor and wristbands that appeared in the microseries' third season (though years ago I remember you calling it less subtle than the TCW versions, despite the microseries being identical but adding capes). The chest armor has been gone since halfway through TCW Season Three, though the wrist armor remains on several Jedi (though far from all). In the microseries, they ditched the armor literally as they were on the cruiser right before going to the Battle of Coruscant. So you're reaching on this one.

Everything else you've mentioned is just details, usually from short stories or throwaway lines (like Jabba not having any children, which was briefly mentioned in his will but could have been a lie, or Rotta could have died by then). Karen Traviss decided to leave because she herself thought what was happening was too different. I'm not sure what the exact issue was but I believe it had to do with the depiction of Death Watch at this exact point in time (which has changed dramatically over the seasons) not being what she wanted.

Their depictions of the Battle of Coruscant are similar enough, but Labyrinth of Evil and the microseries have Anakin and Obi-Wan at completely different places doing completely different things at the exact same time right before they jump to Coruscant. It's not a small difference, but they still retconned it so that one takes place after the other. They've done this before, somehow or another the world kept turning and nobody died, and they can do it again.

Dude, c'mon, Maul was a dead duck. They retconned the Theed Palace reactor shaft into one of those endless skydiving fan things, that's the ONLY way he could have survived being cut in half and falling down that pit. Even the EU in Wrath of Darth Maul and The Sith Hunters is utterly ridiculous - grabbing a vent at that speed without a working SPINE? And then falling further and hitting water? He'd have ripped his arm off his body even if his spine was still able to send signals after being cut in twain, and the impact from hitting the water from that height would pancake him, turning his internal organs into external ones. Oh, and let's not forget that THERE WERE NO VENTS OR WATER IN THE MOVIE.