Tron Uprising on Disney XD is pretty good

So, I'm betting you haven't seen this. It's on Disney XD, which is I guess "Extreme Disney", it's the action cartoon channel for Disney kids. I'm lucky enough to have it in HD (High Definition ) but my last place definitely didn't, so it's still hard to find. But Tron Uprising is on it, and Tron Uprising is surprisingly good if you're a Tron fan or need an action/adventure cartoon that doesn't have too much kid-pandering.

First off, Tron Uprising has Bruce Boxleitner as Tron, a mentor for a young mechanic who is trying to fight against Clu's forces as they take over his city. It works well on 2 levels, it's great to have Tron as a character after being such a non-entity in Tron Legacy (he's there but doesn't act like himself or say anything or is even called by his name), and Tron being a wounded mentor feels right the way they've done it so far. And having Boxleitner as the character is gold.

The voice cast is all good in general, recognizable names for major characters: Elijah Wood, Lance Henriksen, Paul Reubens. The voice directing is pretty good if not quite computer-themed enough (though that's more about the original movie's style, the new movie's style was a little more relaxed anyway).

Visually it looks really good, and a lot of care was taken to create environments that feel like they could fit in Tron universe yet still make sense - the had a speedboat and some freight containers in the last episode which just barely got away with it, but they did get away with it in my book (the boat would have been no problem except the sound was that of a real speedboat). There's a lot of thought put into camera angles to tell stories and give senses of scale - the one drawback there is that Disney XD throws a big graphic over the screen for adverts occasionally, and nearly every time they've done it it's covered something important, even once the ENTIRE focus of the scene. But there's definitely a direct connection to the movie's look, it wouldn't surprise me to learn that some of the same software was being used to make this. The characters have stylized faces which work better than you'd think, and the rest of the world is indistinguishable from Tron Legacy except not quite as "solid" (either a style choice, or just not enough money to render that much detail on a weekly cartoon budget).

Story is somewhat akin to Batman Beyond meets Spartacus, young mechanic and his friends are enjoying a free life in a port city far from Clu's capital, until Clu's forces are sent into the port to enact totalitarian rule and bring "the games" - the brutal gladiatorial arena - to the city. Mechanic starts fighting that system under the guise of Tron, who has been absent, until the Real Tron tracks him down and takes him to train to lead. Mechanic wears a "Tron" suit to inspire others and as a disguise, altering and disguising him for a secret identity. Meanwhile, his other young friends have to live their regular lives in a world now marred by violence and Clu's ironfisted rule, brought by a brutal politician-general.

So far, there's been light cycle battles, deadly disc battles, inverted battles, a train battle, Bit made a cameo, light cycle racing in the snow, and LOTS of de-rezzing... and there's only been 2 episodes!

The first episode was a prologue, getting the main character - Beck - into place as the new Tron, and setting up everything. The second ep was a 2-parter where Beck finds a passionate sympathizer for "Tron's" new uprising but they're forced to fight each other in the games. Both had Tron action and standard action stuff, but also a few smart moments and a nice little save-the-day moment from the real Tron despite his wounds.

Anyway, it's worth tracking down. Full episodes are available online as well, but it looks like only 2 episodes are available at a time, so you have to be quick, or watch it broken into clips: http://disney.go.com/xd/tron/videos/

So, anybody watching it? Thoughts?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I've watched the first two episodes, but I haven't really formed a clear opinion of it yet. Both times I sat down to watch it, I was distracted by kids, phone calls, etc. I liked Tron:Legacy, so thats one reason that made me want to see what Uprising was like. From what I took in, I did like. I'm going to have to catch a rerun or look it up online and watch it undisturbed to see what I really think.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    I've watched the first two episodes, but I haven't really formed a clear opinion of it yet. Both times I sat down to watch it, I was distracted by kids, phone calls, etc. I liked Tron:Legacy, so thats one reason that made me want to see what Uprising was like. From what I took in, I did like. I'm going to have to catch a rerun or look it up online and watch it undisturbed to see what I really think.
    Darn kids, ruining your cartoons!

What about it didn't hit on the first viewing for you? I got the sense that something missed the mark throughout the chaos.

I do think Disney needs to ADVERTISE this show, they stink at marketing outside their own magazines and tv.

The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

The kids should know better then to mess with an adults cartoons!

I would watch a few minutes of it and there would be an interruption. When I got back to it, I'd have to try to figure out what was going on and then get interrupted again. Its almost as if the gods don't want me to watch this show.

The only reason I know about it, is they had an ad on the Tron:Legacy blu-ray. My daughter happened to see an ad for the show time, so thats the only reason I happened to know when it was on.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    I do think Disney needs to ADVERTISE this show, they stink at marketing outside their own magazines and tv.
    You mean like that movie that came out, and they didn't advertise it by saying, "From the director of Finding Nemo and Wall-E, and the screenwriter of Spider-Man 2, based on the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs," but instead focused on a five-minute arena sequence that looked like "He-Man on Geonosis" when taken out of context, so it became the biggest box-office bomb of the year?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Snowtrooper View Post
    The kids should know better then to mess with an adults cartoons!

I would watch a few minutes of it and there would be an interruption. When I got back to it, I'd have to try to figure out what was going on and then get interrupted again. Its almost as if the gods don't want me to watch this show.

The only reason I know about it, is they had an ad on the Tron:Legacy blu-ray. My daughter happened to see an ad for the show time, so thats the only reason I happened to know when it was on.
    So your kids are both the reason you watched it and the reason you missed it, awesome.

I can see how it would be hard to follow, there's 2 storylines going on, both have action, and the A storyline moves from set piece to set piece a bit, without the connective tissue it'd be hard to follow. I don't think that's a plot failing luckily, just that not every action/adventure needs to be so simple that you can look at your phone or have a conversation most of the time it's going.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    You mean like that movie that came out, and they didn't advertise it by saying, "From the director of Finding Nemo and Wall-E, and the screenwriter of Spider-Man 2, based on the works of Edgar Rice Burroughs," but instead focused on a five-minute arena sequence that looked like "He-Man on Geonosis" when taken out of context, so it became the biggest box-office bomb of the year?
    The marketing on John Carter has to be the single biggest bungling of all time. "Let's change the movie because someone said movies with 'mars' in the title don't make money!" - great plan, because everybody is familiar with a GENERIC GUY'S NAME! That'll really get blood pumping. Then show the most boring, story-free action junk as the chief highlight, and you're being generous with the "He-Man" part since John Carter isn't even that bulked up so it makes NO SENSE why he's swinging huge beasts around by their heads.

Here's a plan:
    - come up with a compelling product and make sure its name works for it;
    - put your product out at a reasonable time;
    - tell people when it's on and what channel;
    - show them some interesting action and character stuff;
    - PROFIT!

It is really not that hard unless you micromanage it into the grave.