Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
    I highly doubt that, if any toy company took over the Star Wars license and started a whole new toy line from scratch, that the first wave would be nothing but OT figures. In fact, I think PT figures would likely dominate the first few waves.

But since that's not the discussion here, these are my picks of the "first 12" ANH figures:

1. Boba Fett (we are living in a post-SE world, like it or not)
    2. Darth Vader
    3. Luke Farmboy
    4. Han Solo
    5. Princess Leia
    6. Stormtrooper
    7. Sandtrooper
    8. Chewbacca
    9. C-3PO
    10. R2-D2
    11. Luke X-Wing Pilot
    12. Ben Kenobi
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

ANH:

1. Luke (Tatooine)
    2. Han (Cantina)
    3. Chewie
    4. Leia (Imperial Senator)
    5. C-3PO
    6. R2-D2
    7. Old Ben Kenobi
    8. Darth Vader
    9. Stormtrooper
    10.Greedo (he sets up Han Solo's wanted story, Fett appears more in other movies)
    11. Jawa (sets the stage on Tatooine for delivering R2-D2. Sand People are in other films if necessary)
    12.Grand Moff Tarkin (he is the enemy defeated, as Vader survives)
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

ANH:

1. Luke-Farmboy
    2. Princess Leia
    3. Han Solo
    4. Chewbacca
    5. R2-D2
    6. C3P0
    7. Darth Vader
    8. Ben Kenobi
    9. Stormtrooper
    10. Tarkin
    11. Tusken Raider
    12. Jawa

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Slanted Powers View Post
    That is kind of my thought as well. My approach to the voting is that since this is a poll about essential characters, I will vote first for the figures I would consider most essential to have. I've always thought that the original 12 vintage figures were good choices, except that they should have made Tarkin instead of the Death Squad Commander. Rebel Fleet Trooper would have been nice to have back in those days, too. A friend of mine actually repainted a Death Squad Commander to look like a Rebel Fleet Trooper, and painted a Stormtrooper black to look like a TIE Pilot. I did not have that sort of artistic ability. I tried painting the Stormtrooper, but it wasn't turning out well and I started to remove the paint. It is still partially painted 33 years later.
    I hear ya. I think the DS Commander was a better choice at the time since he was another generic trooper that could shoot back at the heroes, while Tarkin was just a menacing old man.

Those seem like adequate repaints for the time, sorry yours didn't ever finish its journey - maybe you can say he got caught in the Falcon's exhaust.

At least all of the versions of Vader pretty much look the same to the average person. There is quite a bit more difference between all of the different versions of Luke from all the films. I would be happy with one version of Vader, even if it does not match the movie on the card. In fact, this theoretical line may just say "Star Wars" and not indicate a specific movie on the card.
    Yeah, I suppose, but for me talking about my essential characters, it matters to me enough to consider them different. If you want us to go with a generic single Vader for this theoretical line, then I'd have to change my ANH vote since ANH ain't my "generic Vader" look.

Quote Originally Posted by sebillba View Post
    Ok, my bad, I mis-read the rules (I was still waking up when I read the thread, I should've re-read them before I posted, sorry) - I wasn't trying to "game the poll", but I thought we were only getting 12 votes each per movie, so I tried to narrow down my choices to the most interesting (to me) 36 characters from the OT, then split them across the three films.
    I didn't mean to insinuate you were trying to actually mess with the vote, only that it seemed to treat the poll as a game, to strategize your votes rather than just vote how you feel - it's happened a lot during the previous polls run in our forums, I blame reality shows, they've trained people not to vote for what they want but for what they think can win, but I find that self-defeating. Anyway, no malice was intended.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    I highly doubt that, if any toy company took over the Star Wars license and started a whole new toy line from scratch, that the first wave would be nothing but OT figures. In fact, I think PT figures would likely dominate the first few waves.
    I dunno, as much recognition as there is, I think any company looking at the state of Star Wars toys selling today would see a lot of unsold PT product - the variety of PT pegwarmers seems pretty high over the past 13 years compared to OT pegwarmers in that same time period. Almost the entire wave of TPM has been rotting on pegs for 6 months now, and TPM nearly doomed the world's #2 toy manufacturer 11 years ago. How many prequel Obi-Wan and Anakin figures have sat unsold in the last 5 years? A lot. I think if a new company came in, they'd see a real challenge on marketing a line to a diverse audience.

1. Boba Fett (we are living in a post-SE world, like it or not)
    We are, and I thought of that when I was crafting my votes, but I felt his presence and look in ANH wasn't enough to warrant inclusion on my ANH list, so he didn't make the cut for me.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Keep the votes coming for the top 12 figures for ANH. I am going to keep that open for another week or two. In the meantime, I would like to start the TPM voting. Before we do, I would like input on a few things.

R2-D2 is more than likely going to make the list for ANH. I would consider an ultimate version of him to be able to work for any movie.

C-3PO should also make the ANH list, but I am less certain about doing one version of C-3PO working for all movies. There was an AOTC figure that had removable coverings. Perhaps an ultimate version could have different sets of removable coverings and limbs to make him resemble any of his appearances.

Finally, Padmé has many different appearances in TPM, which will make it difficult to choose which version(s) are most essential. If she was like a mini Barbie doll that came with multiple outfits, one figure could work. However, if we can do that with one character, we could do it with just about any character.

So, my suggestions would be:

Don't vote for R2-D2 in any subsequent polls.
    Consider each Padmé outfit to be a different figure.
    Vote for C-3PO only if you think the ANH version could not be made to work for a TPM or AOTC figure.

It could be that with the limited space in this poll, many of you would not find those versions essential enough to put on your lists anyway. So, I am inclined to just let people vote and see how things play out. What do you all think?

Good point about C-3PO. Can I scratch him from my list and replace him with Greedo?
    Tommy, close your eyes.

(BTW, I'd consider an ESB C-3PO with removable limbs and a "naked" TPM one to be necessary. The removable coverings thing always winds up looking like crap, so I'd just skip it. And "rusty" C-3PO is cheesy-looking, so I personally would skip him altogether.)

TPM:
    Qui-Gon Jinn
    Obi-Wan Kenobi (Padawan--BTW, would be it acceptable to include alternate heads for the AOTC and ROTS versions, since the body's basically the same?)
    Anakin Skywalker (Slave/Podracer Pilot/N-1 Pilot)
    Darth Maul
    Battle Droid
    Sebulba
    Droideka
    Padme (Battle--perhaps with alternate head to make Sabe)
    Senator Palpatine
    Jar Jar Binks
    Captain Tarpals
    Shmi Skywalker

As cool as all the podracers are, Sebulba's the only one who serves as anything other than window dressing, so to speak.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Good point about C-3PO. Can I scratch him from my list and replace him with Greedo?
    Sure. However, my thought is that if you think C-3PO is more essential than Greedo, you should vote for C-3PO in the first round.

Edit - I see now what you said about the ESB version being more essential, and your explanation.

1. Qui-Gon Jinn (w. Jedi robe and Tatooine poncho, Jedi breathing device, removeable death blow wound (like Luke DSII's open shirt chest variation), and wet hair head sculpt).

2. Obi-Wan Kenobit (w. Jedi robe, Jedi breathing device, Qui-Gon's lightsaber, and wet hair head sculpt)

3. Anakin (w. podracer and N-1 fighter helmets, small Jedi robe, short hair extra head sculpt, N-1 fighter controls. Pack him with folded and articulated pit droids)

4. Padme Queen Amidala 2nd hanger battle dress (the most important Padme with long and short Naboo blasters and ascension gun, maybe removeable handmaiden robe that covers her entire battledress figure, with alt head or a tight hood).

5. Battle Droid (keep with the clean, dirty, blasted, light-saber slashed style that was originally released with sculpt improvements).

6. Darth Maul, packed with the Sidious hologram, probe droids, every variation of his lightsaber, plus binoculars and wrist commlink, plus detaching body for battle wound with Obi-Wan Kenobi.

7. Nute Gunray [he's in all 3 prequels with different hats, but TPM is his most prominent feature and there needs to be a leader for the Droid army since the Sith are "phantoms" or rumors only (until Maul shows up)]. I'm not going to vote for the Viceroy from the other films, but he needs to be made. TPM is the right collection for him to show up in. Pack him with the Mechno-chair and soft goods so Nute can sit, or the Sidious hologram I'd include with Darth Maul can be placed on it.

8. Watto - with flying and rest-position interchangeable wings, plus hat. Pack him with folded and articulated pit droids.

9. JarJar - with varying head sculpts so his ears are in different positions and his tongue is out or not, his boom-ba weapons, both soft Representative cloaks that cover all, since I will not recommend AOTC or ROTS versions of JarJar. He could also include chubbas to eat, a wrench, a half battle-droid (poseable arms).

10. Sebulba - the most important podracer. He could have a removeable "biker leather vest" and head sculpts with and without his racing helmet and googles on.

11. Gungan Warrior - the final battle was key and a soldier species thats representative of the unique population of a planet and can be army-built is necessary to "play Star Wars." The latter does not qualify Captain Tarpals or Boss Nass and "General" JarJar is not an army builder (fortunately).

12. Shmi Skywalker - she was a main character and extremely important to Anakin. She could include her tools and perhaps a Tusken torture rack, maybe a scarred face extra headsculpt from AOTC since she doesn't need 2 figures. But TPM is the one for Shmi.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Chuxter made an interesting point about Obi-Wan's figure and different head sculpts being included.

When we do AOTC and ROTS we'll also run into this issue with Anakin (along with different hand attachments).

I didn't think we could go "build-a-droid" on C-3PO either, because his TPM and AOTC versions are whole different bodies unless everything on his "naked form" are tight-fitting rusty and gold attachments.

R2D2 is fine just coming with everything from a sailbarge serving tray to rocket jets and a hologram of Theed palace.

Chewie could come with headsculpts for both the ANH and ESB/ROTJ hair.