Snowtrooper

Tied for 8th - 8 Votes
    Luke Skywalker - Hoth
    Han Solo - Bespin
    Hoth Rebel Soldier

Tied for 11th - 4 Votes
    Bespin Security Guard
    Bossk

I believe most of those voting for Hoth Rebel Soldier specified the ones in the trenches as opposed to the tan vest. Just to be sure, state your preference when you are voting for your top 12 from Return of the Jedi, which is now open for voting.

I mean for the Hoth Soldier from the trenches.

My ROTJ list:

Han Carbonite (add a camaou trench coat to his accessories)
    Luke Jedi (ditto on the poncho and helmet)
    Leia Slave
    Lando General (add the skiff disguise armor and helmet for unauthentic but possible play)
    Wicket
    Logray (the spiritual leader of the Ewoks)
    Endor Rebel Soldier
    Biker Scout
    Emperor
    Bib Fortuna
    Gamorrean Guard
    Weequay (more significantly different than other Jabba thugs like Klatoonians and Niktos, with the Weequay braids)

I hope the direction this poll is going is not at all a "conclusion" where we don't "need" figures like Jocasta Nu or Wuher. My niche in this hobby is a desire to build dioramas and I "need" Nyrat Agira and Garven Dreis.

But it is interesting if you can "express" Star Wars with only 144 figures, etc.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

I also meant the Hoth Trench soldier.

ROTJ:

1. Luke Jedi
    2. Biker Scout
    3. Emperor
    4. Royal Guard (because it's not about what they do in the film, it's what they're suggesting they COULD do, like Boba Fett in ESB before he became a pantomime clown version of himself)
    5. Gamorrean Guard
    6. Weequay
    7. Leia Boushh
    8. Lando Skiff
    9. Endor Rebel Trooper
    10. Leia Endor Battle Fatigues
    11. Han Endor
    12. Wicket
    13. Dead Yoda - KIDDING!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

1. Emperor Palpatine
    2. Biker Scout
    3. Wicket W. Warrick
    4. Jedi Luke Skywalker
    5. Endor Han Solo
    6. Princess Leia in Boushh Disguise
    7. Admiral Ackbar
    8. Emperor's Royal Guard
    9. Bib Fortuna
    10. Gamorrean Guard
    11. Wedge Antilles (this is where he really shines)
    12. Lando Calrissian in Tamtel Skreej Disguise
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I hope the direction this poll is going is not at all a "conclusion" where we don't "need" figures like Jocasta Nu or Wuher. My niche in this hobby is a desire to build dioramas and I "need" Nyrat Agira and Garven Dreis.

But it is interesting if you can "express" Star Wars with only 144 figures, etc.
    The poll is entitled "Essential Characters Poll", so the point is to get the characters that are most essential. That is up to the individual to determine what is essential. For me, I think in terms of when I was a kid playing with them and wanted to act out the movies with the figures. By that reasoning, Nyrat Agira would not likely make my list, though Garven Dreis might. However, I would probably choose Wedge first since he is in all three OT films. Jocasta Nu and Wuher would both be more likely to be chosen than Nyrat Agira or any other Outlander Club patron.

With essential as the determinate, I am agreeing with you, as you can tell by my votes and that Nyrat Agira is not likely going to ever come up for my vote for essential.

However, I am not going to buy an ultimate essential version of some character like E2 Obi-Wan or E5 Darth Vader and would more likely stay in the hobby to successfully win a petition for Nyrat Agira.

I just don't want my essential votes to be taken as an admission that this is what the hobby is about for me.

I got Luke Tatooine in 1995 and doubt I will ever purchase the figure again, but would almost do cartwheels if I could pose that '95 Luke in a cantina diorama with a 2013 Tzzvvzzt - in the way I was so excited about getting Hem Dazon, who I'd also not likely vote for as essential (maybe).

That being said, the Naboo Holy Man with no lines in AOTC and never clearly seen, is a purchase I'd make over any figure voted for here, including my own admissions of which characters are essential.

Still I think your poll is a fun exercise. I highly doubt any figure we come up with has not yet been produced by Hasbro.

Don't let the conversation interrupt the voting for 12 ROTJ figures, but people's responses are welcome.

Also, I understand that the essential characters as sold to new kids as they become ready to indulge in the hobby.

I'd simply make figure waves by taking your 6 movie categories, adding CW and EU to the arrangement (with 1 of each, that's 8 figures), then add and change (in revision cases), repeated characters while you add new ones.

Such as:

Case 1...........................Case 2..............................Case 3

Han Cantina...................Luke Hoth..........................Leia Slave
    Han Cantina...................Luke Hoth..........................Leia Slave
    Chewie..........................Snowtrooper....... ................Wicket
    Chewie..........................Snowtrooper....... ................Wicket
    R2D2.............................Boba Fett...........................Bikerscout
    R2D2.............................Boba Fett...........................Bikerscout
    C-3PO............................Lando.............. ..................Gamorrean
    C-3PO............................Lando.............. ..................Gamorrean
    E1 Obi-Wan....................E1 Obi-Wan........................Qui-Gon
    E2 Anakin...................... E2 Anakin...........................Super Battle Droid
    E3 Clone trooper..............E3 Clonetrooper..................Generall Grievous
    Yuuzhan Vong.................Yuuzhan Vong.....................CW Ahsoka

Case 4...........................Case 5...............................Case 6

Darth Maul......................Jango Fett..........................Padme Senator
    Darth Maul......................Jango Fett..........................Padme Senator
    Battle Droid.....................Count Dooku......................Cmdr Cody
    Batttle Droid....................Count Dooku......................Cmdr Cody
    Destroyer Droid................Mace Windu.......................E3 Obi-Wan Kenobi
    Destroyer Droid................Mace Windu.......................E3 Obi-Wan Kenobi
    JarJar..............................Geonosian..... ....................E3 Anakin
    JarJar..............................Geonosian..... ....................E3 Anakin
    Luke Tatooine..................Luke Tatooine....................Darth Vader
    Han Hoth.........................Han Hoth..........................Yoda
    Emperor...........................Emperor......... ...................Lando General
    CW Ahsoka......................Zayne Carrick......................Zayne Carrick

Then the next case (7) would come around and include doubles of 4 ANH figures while providing a second shot at Qui-Gon, for example.

So it would take about 12 months to complete any given set from our first round of movie votes, but include something for every movie / era fan and playability with good guys and bad guys in each wave, for the kids.

Eventually, more obscure characters could be 2 per case (in some instances) while repeats of the main core (144 or so) could resurface 1 per case.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

It can be any/either Hoth Soldier; manipulate my vote as you wish.

ROJ:
    - Emperor's Royal Guard
    - Endor Rebel Soldier
    - Wicket (but NOT Wicket W. Warrick! )
    - Lando Skiff Guard
    - Han in Trench Coat (with Matrix knee bend action! )
    - Leia as Jabba's Slave prisoner (maybe add removable Boushh gear?)
    - Jedi Luke
    - Biker Scout
    - Adm. Ackbar
    - Gamorrean Guard
    - Weequay
    - Bib Fortuna

* Beedo! (kidding...)
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

Hoth Rebel Soldier from the trenches.

1. Luke Jedi (with jedi cloak, and Endor poncho/helmet)
    2. Han Endor (with removable plastic vest/soft goods trench coat and separate carbonite block)
    3. Leia in Boushh disguise
    4. Lando in skiff guard disguise
    5. Emperor Palpatine
    6. Admiral Ackbar
    7. Bib Fortuna
    8. Gamorrean Guard
    9. Wicket
    10. Biker Scout
    11. Endor Rebel Soldier
    12. Wedge
    Big thanks to DarkJedi5, TheRealDubya, obi-dad, morpheus282, Tycho and Kidhuman for great deals/trades.

Hoth Rebel from trenches

ROTJ

1. Luke Jedi
    2. Han Endor
    3. Leia Endor-Camo outif
    4. Emperor Palpatine
    5. Lando- Skiff Guard
    6. Biker Scout
    7. Endor Rebel
    8. Admiral Ackbar
    9. Bib Fortuna
    10. Wicket
    11. Emperor's Royal Guard
    12. Gamorrean Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    - Leia as Jabba's Slave prisoner (maybe add removable Boushh gear?)
    I can't see this happening, and there's really no swappable parts to work with either.

Quote Originally Posted by sebillba View Post
    1. Luke Jedi (with jedi cloak, and Endor poncho/helmet)
    2. Han Endor (with removable plastic vest/soft goods trench coat and separate carbonite block)
    Luke seems easily doable, but again, this seems like Han Endor is a stretch. It's a different hairstyle, different pants and shirt, no gunbelt. It's not a bad idea, but it seems too much a stretch to ask of a regular figure.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.