Article: Director Kevin Smith to share 'Star Wars' thoughts

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

I'd love to see this, but I simply ain't gonna do Celebration in Florida a month after Comic-Con expenses, so hopefully he touches on some of it at his Commie-con panel (that's how he pronounces it).

Every day, my enthusiasm for anything Smith-related dwindles just a bit. It's around -87% right now. I just don't understand the fascination with him; he doesn't know an actual good movie if it bites him on the arse (even though, I guess accidentally, he made a few).
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Clerks 2 was pretty good, but Steve and I walked out of the Cop Out screening at Comic-Con a couple years ago, really early into the film in fact, and I haven't been able to watch a Kevin Smith film since (that is accidentally a lie, I watched Mallrats not too long ago, forgot about that).

That said, Kevin Smith is a fantastic geek-themed orator, he knows how to make an amazing presentation and a fantastic panel experience every time (except the year he conned us all into waiting in a huge line to watch the horrible pilot for Reaper - that was bogus).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I found Clerks 2 to be tonally inconsistent with the previous J&SB films, and more like a live-action, 2-hour episode of the cartoon. Also, Smith had shown surprising depth with the Jersey Girl, which bombed in part because the audience didn't want anything but the same-old, same-old, and returning to the J&SB well after swearing it was done seemed a huge cop out, no pun intended.

Dogma and Jersey Girl are evidence that there is still good in him. But he's more... uh, too tired to finish the reference.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I think the only movie of his I've seen is the original Clerks, which I liked. But as JT said, he's really good at public speaking events and the like. I would like to see this but the extra cost deters me somewhat. This might be the first time something in a Celebration has separate tickets for non-attendees, which is kind of odd.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I found Clerks 2 to be tonally inconsistent with the previous J&SB films, and more like a live-action, 2-hour episode of the cartoon. Also, Smith had shown surprising depth with the Jersey Girl, which bombed in part because the audience didn't want anything but the same-old, same-old, and returning to the J&SB well after swearing it was done seemed a huge cop out, no pun intended.

Dogma and Jersey Girl are evidence that there is still good in him. But he's more... uh, too tired to finish the reference.
    Either you don't remember the cartoon very well, or you and I view the cartoon VERY differently because I couldn't disagree more with that assessment of Clerks 2. Also, Clerks was nothing like Mallrats and Mallrats was nothing like Chasing Amy which was not like Dogma, and if you want to talk cartoony then J&SB Strike Back was the worst offender of all.

I think Jersey Girl failed because it had horrible marketing that hinged on Ben Affleck & Jennifer Lopez's relationship, only to have said relationship tank right before the movie came out (and for that celebrity couple to have starred in a critical disaster of a film during that same time). I never bothered to see Jersey Girl because the marketing really just made it look like a movie I wouldn't enjoy, no matter the director.

Dogma was my favorite until Clerks 2 came out, it's clear Silent Bob has good ideas left in his head, just needs a better producer to make good movies. Instead he's dropping out of cinema altogether which kinda sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I think the only movie of his I've seen is the original Clerks, which I liked. But as JT said, he's really good at public speaking events and the like. I would like to see this but the extra cost deters me somewhat. This might be the first time something in a Celebration has separate tickets for non-attendees, which is kind of odd.
    No, there was an evening with Carrie Fisher which cost extra at Celebration IV, there was another extra-cost event at CIV as well as CII and CIII and I think it was the Star Wars in 30 Minutes folks or something like that, they often have an extra-cost evening event I think. Doesn't make sense to me though, I was at CIV until midnight a couple days and had a great time without paying another dime.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.