Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

2012 Wave 6 - including the "lost line look"

This wave has Jar Jar, Clone Trooper Lieutenant, Shock Trooper, Sandtrooper, Bespin Leia, and Emperor's Wrath Vader, and is shipping two per case, one set on Vintage cards and one on the lost line look. They're also available as part of the SDCC carbonite set. But you already know that.

The news is that Hasbro fixed the fabric on the Bespin Leia figure so that it now has the proper pattern, which none of the preliminary images showed. This makes the figure look much better, IMO, so hopefully there won't be any variant foolery with this one.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

Steve put up a sharper pic from that Bespin Gown Leia:
    http://www.sirstevesguide.com/conten...%29-111-Carded

I think it's the same pattern, same cut-n-sew, just that the Toy Fair prototype was wearing it differently, and they attached the cloth to the collar backwards so the lines were on the inside (there was no paint on that cloth either, but that was never going to make-or-break it if the cloth looked wrong).
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Aside from the cat-like face, I'm looking forward to this figure and most of this wave.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I got the carbonite set a bit ago, and it's awesome. I also just got the whole wave at Kmart, with a second shock trooper and an extra Jar Jar to keep carded. They look freakin' sweet!

I was able to open them last night, so here are some quick thoughts.

*Jar Jar - the sculpt is amazing, but the deco needs to be tighter. His face should be orange on the sides and whitish in the middle, but the figure basically reverses this. The miscolored knee joints really stand out on this one, too. So a re-release with improved deco would be very welcome, but it's still pretty great.
    *Clone Trooper Lieutenant - if you like the VC45 clone, you'll like this. It's exactly what you expect.
    *Shock Trooper - it's the VC45 body with the oversized helmet. There's no battle damage like there is on the 501st trooper, as I don't think there has been on any shock trooper figure. The two I got look cool together.
    *Sandtrooper - probably the best sandtrooper they've ever done. It's the same mold as the earlier TVC release, which was first included with the Dewback in 2009, but the deco is waaaaaay better and much more interesting. The blaster's fold-up mechanism makes it look chunky when it's collapsed, but it's a cool feature. The droid can attach to a clear stand that attaches to his backpack; I think the only other time this has been made was on the sandtrooper released with the cantina playset in the late '90s, so this is the first one that attached to a trooper while the backpack is also on, which is nice.
    *Leia - the pattern on her gown is only one color, but I like the soft goods here overall. They sculpted her widow's peak but didn't paint it for some reason, and it doesn't look bad but could look that much better.
    *Darth Vader - you can debate how necessary this one is, but it's well done. The skull inside is pretty huge and the helmet isn't as obviously transparent as the previous version(s), and the helmet is the only transparent part. I'm glad they finally got the damaged hand correct, though there's a divot below the base of the glove so that the clenched fist can attach. Otherwise it's the same Evolutions body we've been getting since 2005; it's great, but after the TVC ANH Vader, I think they can step it up a bit.

I got my case from EE the other day, that had 6 of the "lost" ones and 6 of the vintage version. The packaging is cool as a novelty, but I'm not sure if I'd ever want it as a regular release. I think my favorites of the wave are Jar Jar, Bespin Leia, and the Sandtrooper. I really like the cardback for the Shocktrooper. Its one of the best of the whole line.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    I was able to open them last night, so here are some quick thoughts.

*Jar Jar - the sculpt is amazing, but the deco needs to be tighter. His face should be orange on the sides and whitish in the middle, but the figure basically reverses this. The miscolored knee joints really stand out on this one, too. So a re-release with improved deco would be very welcome, but it's still pretty great.
    *Clone Trooper Lieutenant - if you like the VC45 clone, you'll like this. It's exactly what you expect.
    *Shock Trooper - it's the VC45 body with the oversized helmet. There's no battle damage like there is on the 501st trooper, as I don't think there has been on any shock trooper figure. The two I got look cool together.
    *Sandtrooper - probably the best sandtrooper they've ever done. It's the same mold as the earlier TVC release, which was first included with the Dewback in 2009, but the deco is waaaaaay better and much more interesting. The blaster's fold-up mechanism makes it look chunky when it's collapsed, but it's a cool feature. The droid can attach to a clear stand that attaches to his backpack; I think the only other time this has been made was on the sandtrooper released with the cantina playset in the late '90s, so this is the first one that attached to a trooper while the backpack is also on, which is nice.
    *Leia - the pattern on her gown is only one color, but I like the soft goods here overall. They sculpted her widow's peak but didn't paint it for some reason, and it doesn't look bad but could look that much better.
    *Darth Vader - you can debate how necessary this one is, but it's well done. The skull inside is pretty huge and the helmet isn't as obviously transparent as the previous version(s), and the helmet is the only transparent part. I'm glad they finally got the damaged hand correct, though there's a divot below the base of the glove so that the clenched fist can attach. Otherwise it's the same Evolutions body we've been getting since 2005; it's great, but after the TVC ANH Vader, I think they can step it up a bit.
    Thanks for the details. I think the only ones I'm going after are the Sandtrooper and Vader, and neither are exciting to me at this point.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I have a feeling that this wave will be the next lingering wave on the pegs. I am seeing it show up in multiple restocks at various retailers and now they are starting to hang around for weeks.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

It's ironic that the only wave to get wide distribution since January has another TPM character in it - and not exactly everyone's favorite. Hopefully once this wave goes through, the previous ones will start coming back out again as the warehouses go through their stock.

I saw one Jar Jar at TRU last night. My weird "I'm not getting the deal!!" neurosis wouldn't let me buy him, though he's awesome-looking, because there was no one worth getting free (Qui-Gon being the most likely, but I have him already).

No joke, I found it somewhat odd that everyone else sold and he didn't. Sure, I expected Leia to sell out, but I guess everyone else isn't Clonetroopered out, and not excited about the first new JJB figure in something like a decade. Love him or hate him, he's pretty important in the movie.
    Tommy, close your eyes.