Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Questions for Hasbro at SDCC - Marvel, TF, GI Joe

Even though Hasbro is stretched thinner in staff this year, they have granted us a few minutes dedicated interview time with each of their major brands during Comic-Con. I know there have been some TF and GI Joe questions being batted around the forums already, so this thread is to help us gather them into a single place. We don't have a lot of time, Comic-Con starts Wednesday and our interviews start Thursday, so the sooner you get these questions in, the more likely we are to use them.

Please keep in mind that these are in-person questions, but make sure they're appropriate - if you can't imagine saying something in front of your grandmother, then probably it needs to be toned down or edited in some way.

Also, make sure to give us any fundamental background to your question, if it's something that a casual fan of the brand might not know, then make sure to clarify as best you can to help out whomever is doing the interview ask the question you want asked get answered properly.

Don't worry about length of question, but keep in mind that these are short interviews so we won't be able to use all questions.

We already have a SW thread like this, so for SW post there. For Marvel, GI Joe, and Transformers, post below (and mark which brand you're asking about if it's not entirely clear).

Thanks!
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

In light of the info that came out of JoeCon (that, ha ha, even the Joe team can't get the Dollar General Joes since there are no DG's around them), I'm going to take a bit of a different focus:

Although obviously the decision to delay GIJoe: Retaliation would've been out of your hands, it puts the toy line in a pretty precarious position, since there will be absolutely no Joe product available for the holiday season (since most of the Retaliation line seems to be selling pretty decently, and most stores will likely clearance out what's lingering by the end of September). Joe collectors are rather concerned; if Retaliation (the movie and the tie-in toy line) underperforms the way Rise of Cobra did, it really could spell doom for the toys for a while.

That said, there have been an awful lot of Pursuit of Cobra and 30th Anniversary figures over the past two years that were impossible to find, as well as a few (like Kwinn and the Data Viper) who were highly anticipated but not released. Plus, the "budget" line that currently appears to be exclusive to Dollar General actually seems to some be the most popular new Joe releases in a while. Why did you not opt to re-produce the hard-to-find figures and those that were canceled just prior to release to fill in the gap in this critical toy merchandising season, or even make the Dollar General figures available at mass retail? Obviously, it would take time to design a new card, but, with these figures, even a straight re-release on the previous cards would've kept Joe on the pegs at Christmas and would have made a lot of people very happy. (Who knows--without unpopular figures like Arctic Destro in the mix, they could actually outperform holiday season sales of Joes from the past few years?)

(I know it's wordy; I've tried to trim it, but I also know they have a way of answering with non-answers if you leave them a way to do so. Let me know if you need any more background than what I stuck in the question.

And, for the record, in case you keep that part of the question and it causes someone offense, I really like the Arctic Destro. I just didn't like seeing nothing but 30 of him in every store for over a year.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

JT, I'm really currious about the Marvel Super Hero Squad line. As of ComicCon last year, it seemed like they'd officially pulled the plug. Then out of nowhere, I starded finding Spider-Man 3 packs at Target and Toys R Us and a few Avengers sets on eBay and Amazon. While limited, both lines did include newly sculpted figures apparently specifically aimed at the new films. So what's going on? Is the line back, is this a test to gage interest, or is this a one-off to tie in to the new movies?

If there's any possibility of the line continuing there are quite a few HTF sets that are fetching huge money in the secondary market and they would offer a great place to start in helping to relaunch the line.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

You're just saying that 'cause she's a girl.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    In light of the info that came out of JoeCon (that, ha ha, even the Joe team can't get the Dollar General Joes since there are no DG's around them), I'm going to take a bit of a different focus:

Although obviously the decision to delay GIJoe: Retaliation would've been out of your hands, it puts the toy line in a pretty precarious position, since there will be absolutely no Joe product available for the holiday season (since most of the Retaliation line seems to be selling pretty decently, and most stores will likely clearance out what's lingering by the end of September). Joe collectors are rather concerned; if Retaliation (the movie and the tie-in toy line) underperforms the way Rise of Cobra did, it really could spell doom for the toys for a while.

That said, there have been an awful lot of Pursuit of Cobra and 30th Anniversary figures over the past two years that were impossible to find, as well as a few (like Kwinn and the Data Viper) who were highly anticipated but not released. Plus, the "budget" line that currently appears to be exclusive to Dollar General actually seems to some be the most popular new Joe releases in a while. Why did you not opt to re-produce the hard-to-find figures and those that were canceled just prior to release to fill in the gap in this critical toy merchandising season, or even make the Dollar General figures available at mass retail? Obviously, it would take time to design a new card, but, with these figures, even a straight re-release on the previous cards would've kept Joe on the pegs at Christmas and would have made a lot of people very happy. (Who knows--without unpopular figures like Arctic Destro in the mix, they could actually outperform holiday season sales of Joes from the past few years?)

(I know it's wordy; I've tried to trim it, but I also know they have a way of answering with non-answers if you leave them a way to do so. Let me know if you need any more background than what I stuck in the question.

And, for the record, in case you keep that part of the question and it causes someone offense, I really like the Arctic Destro. I just didn't like seeing nothing but 30 of him in every store for over a year.)
    I'll do my best. We may be out of luck on the GI Joe questions, the interview slot they gave us is during an important Star Wars panel, but we're going to see if we can get something worked out. If so, I'd ask this and your other question in the other thread about Renegades. Could use a few more Joe questions just in case we can, really.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkJedi5 View Post
    JT, I'm really currious about the Marvel Super Hero Squad line. As of ComicCon last year, it seemed like they'd officially pulled the plug. Then out of nowhere, I starded finding Spider-Man 3 packs at Target and Toys R Us and a few Avengers sets on eBay and Amazon. While limited, both lines did include newly sculpted figures apparently specifically aimed at the new films. So what's going on? Is the line back, is this a test to gage interest, or is this a one-off to tie in to the new movies?

If there's any possibility of the line continuing there are quite a few HTF sets that are fetching huge money in the secondary market and they would offer a great place to start in helping to relaunch the line.
    Interesting. That's our first and only marvel question. I'm adding a second about the removal of articulation, even for figures that had it in previous lines like IM. For your question, could you cite some examples of those HTF sets you were referring to?

MOAR KWESTIONS PLEEZ! (I hate myself a little for typing that )
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

JT - for Transformers. Got two oldies, but goodies. TF: Animated Season 3 DVD - have they officially abandoned plans to release it? And TFP: First Edition - basically the same question.

And if you want, wondering if they can comment on how they are adjusting release strategies in the current economy.

Thanks!

There have been rumors of a Masterpiece Thundercracker being released. If you could get them to shed some light on that, it would be great. Thanks.
    "You know I love the guy but I swear he writes like freaking Yoda."-Dean Winchester
    R12:2-Be Transformed

Quote Originally Posted by JetsAndHeels View Post
    There have been rumors of a Masterpiece Thundercracker being released. If you could get them to shed some light on that, it would be great. Thanks.
    Oh, yeah! And if they confirm it, find out which mold (original or MP-11)
    All Hail Darth Schmitsky!

Hey, JT (or anyone else)--not exactly a question, per se, but would someone mind taking a look at the new Joe figures in the case and verifying which ones, if any, have the lousy single-joint knee articulation and missing ankle joint?

It's tough to tell in package, but, in case I wind up finding them before reviews are all over the place, it'd be nice to know which ones are not worth $10.
    Tommy, close your eyes.