Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 14
  1. #1

    Article: SSG's Comic-Con Hasbro Star Wars Interview

    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  2. #2
    Thanks for squeezing the Kithaba question in there at the last minute and it's funny that they didn't know the answer. The card back is starting to grow on me in that way that these kinds of quirky things often do, but it still would have been cool to have a true Kithaba card back when the figure was released.

    The question about mismatched plastic colors in the joints is satisfactory enough. I kind of imagined the solution wouldn't be as simple in reality as it seems to us sitting behind keyboards.

    You listed the names of each Hasbro rep at the beginning of the interview, but do you know what specific responsibilities each of these guys have or do they basically all just have the same job?

  3. #3
    Sure thing. Derryl said he'd try to get us answers on the 2 "I don't know" ones, so we may have follow-up on that one later down the road, I'll keep you in the loop.

    The thing about the joints is what I've been saying for a couple years, even talked to the Hasbro SW sculptor Dave Vennemeyer about it last year, but I know what you mean, it helps to hear it right from the source.

    Great minds thinking alike BB, I put in a request for their current official job titles not 3 days ago, and will update the article once they get back to me. I was going to go with the previous ones, but Derryl I think has multiple titles and I know Brian has taken on a second job on the team.

  4. #4
    Anything in the follow-up questions about the Titanium Series by any chance?

  5. #5
    Great job on the interview! It had a good mix of questions, many of which I'd been wanting answers to for a while.

    The Nightsister answer is interesting. I thought that maybe it used parts from Mighella, but the fact that it was the Sith Witch (based on early Darth Maul concept art, of course) is even cooler.

    Hopefully they're able to deliver those lower-priced vehicles, even though the Class I has slowly been creeping up to that price. (Speaking of which, where's the Class I dropship that's been seen overseas?) I'd like to get more info at CVI.

    The first few Ahsoka figures actually had her last name on the packaging, but it's interesting that it's a legal issue. I had wondered if it was some sort of name-recognition thing from Lucasfilm. I wonder what the legal issue could be, though? Is her name similar to something from another property?

    The INC photo is another interesting issue, as they've been able to do things like release Cal Alder's photo for the Echo Base trooper. I guess they just didn't work out the likenesses back in the early days, leading to the Tonnika sisters and less-obvious things like this. God bless you for keeping the uncle joke.

    The case numbers thing is also interesting, that these are basically extra waves. I'll be interested to see how this continues in the future.

    Now we just need to ask them what the hell happened to the Q&A program . . .

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Duranium View Post
    Anything in the follow-up questions about the Titanium Series by any chance?
    No, anything follow-up is an "I don't know" answer in this interview. I didn't get a chance to ask about Titanium Series partly due to the limited time we had, and partly due to a conversation with Derryl the day prior where he explained how Titanium Series got the axe again -- something like "cool expression, but it wasn't performing at market" type of situation, bottom line was it wasn't selling and it's out, as a fellow fan I can't say we didn't expect this to be the answer, but it lowered the question's importance on my very long list, sorry.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Now we just need to ask them what the hell happened to the Q&A program . . .
    This was also answered in the booth the day prior, actually. Derryl and Jeff were talking about how time-consuming it became, to the point where answering the questions was interfering with managing the brand. Jeff seemed pretty unhappy about the matter, he seemed genuinely distressed that it was something that couldn't work out.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  7. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    This was also answered in the booth the day prior, actually. Derryl and Jeff were talking about how time-consuming it became, to the point where answering the questions was interfering with managing the brand. Jeff seemed pretty unhappy about the matter, he seemed genuinely distressed that it was something that couldn't work out.
    Ah, okay, that's unfortunate but it's pretty much what I figured. If they could cut it down even further - like one question per site per month, or something - then that would still be better than nothing at all. That communication is most helpful when it's not just coming during conventions, especially when this year has had so many problems that needed addressing.
    My Photos and Reviews: SSG Toy Guide
    My Star Wars Fan Film: The Lazy Jedi
    Follow Me: Twitter | Instagram

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Ah, okay, that's unfortunate but it's pretty much what I figured. If they could cut it down even further - like one question per site per month, or something - then that would still be better than nothing at all. That communication is most helpful when it's not just coming during conventions, especially when this year has had so many problems that needed addressing.
    30 questions instead of 60 questions still seems challenging, especially after Hasbro had to let go of so much staff this year. The problem is that Star Wars really is such a powerhouse of fan interest that Hasbro needs to recognize its unique situation and create a new staff position who can do that stuff but still be involved with every part of the line, but it's not like that staffer's pay would grow on trees so the money would have to come out of the brand - it's a difficult trade off.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

    "In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

  9. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    No, anything follow-up is an "I don't know" answer in this interview. I didn't get a chance to ask about Titanium Series partly due to the limited time we had, and partly due to a conversation with Derryl the day prior where he explained how Titanium Series got the axe again -- something like "cool expression, but it wasn't performing at market" type of situation, bottom line was it wasn't selling and it's out, as a fellow fan I can't say we didn't expect this to be the answer, but it lowered the question's importance on my very long list, sorry.
    Thanks, JT. Once again, you came though with some info about the line, cheers for that, very much appreciated. Judging from my search of other sites' SDCC Q&As, you were the sole journalist to ask about our poor old Titanium Series, so I'm doubly grateful.
    Agreed, it was not the news we wanted and it's not unexpected that the axe fell again. Sure wish they'd put a little more effort into the relaunch, they really phoned that sucker in and paid the price. So I guess we can forget the Shadow Squad/TIE Crawler 3-pack, unless they turn up at discount stores later in the year, by some freakish miracle.
    Can't imagine them doing a Trek line now, either. Sigh. But at least the suspense is over.
    Titanium is dead (again). Long live Titanium!
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.

  10. #10
    Considering how those Titanium 3-packs retailed for about $30 each, I don't see how Hasbro could have expected them to be anything but a failure. Most long time collectors probably had all of those vehicles already and the price tag wasn't very casual consumer friendly, which is what would have been needed to revive the Titanium series. Packing them individually at $10 each would have made it easier to make a couple of impulse purchases, but if you didn't like all three vehicles in the pack, then $30 was too painful of a price. At least it was for me. I've had my eye on that AT-TE/Gunship/Hailfire Droid pack since they first came out but I just can't pull the trigger at that price. If I could have bought the AT-TE and Hailfire Droid individually, then I would have done so months ago.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO