Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Batman: The Dark Knight Rises (Spoiler Thread)

I haven't posted spoilers myself, but let 'em roll in here.

My hospital I'm both a patient and coouselor at rented out a whole 20-plex (every theater!) for an early premier.

It was such an awesome movie. I left with an immediate desire to see it again!
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Haven't seen it yet. Not in a rush. I expect the same mediocre overhyped crap as the last two Nolan films.

I'm just glad the franchise is over under him, hopefully the reboot will be less "Batman In Name Only".

Hearing a lot of people who were fans of the first two finding this one to be pretty disappointing.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

I'm on the contrary side of that Beast.

Now in terms of acting and a star portraying a person they are pretending to be, you can't take away from Heath Ledger's Joker or Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent / Two Face.

Those were real performances.

However, you can WRITE a really compelling story, and tell a personal journey for Bruce, and turn out a fine product. All the actors in DKR were great in their roles by the way. But the movie didn't try to out-do Ledger and Eckhart and I think for that we're all thankful.

In terms of taste, I was not looking for a comic book adaptation, but enjoy the all-adult-audiences inner-city grit of this sort of gang-warfare movie, the way the Nolan universe has always conducted itself. Bordering on the very believably possible.

I enjoy Adam West, but I might skip a big screen production like that, lest it was Austin Powers, deliberately made to be campy.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    Haven't seen it yet. Not in a rush. I expect the same mediocre overhyped crap as the last two Nolan films.

I'm just glad the franchise is over under him, hopefully the reboot will be less "Batman In Name Only".

Hearing a lot of people who were fans of the first two finding this one to be pretty disappointing.
    I agree on the Nolan Batman movies so far. I think they simply take themselves way too seriously considering that they are about a guy dressing up like a bat to fight crime. That premise is corny just by it's very nature and when the filmmakers try to pass it off as gritty and realistic, then it just comes off as lame and almost self-parodying.

With Frank Miller's original Dark Knight comic book, at least he kept Robin in there to add some much needed lightheartedness to the story. There is no one like that to provide balance for the Nolan films. Everything is just dreary, hopeless and depressing. Some people might consider that entertainment, but I do not.

I'll watch Dark Knight Rises eventually, but I'm in no real rush to see it.

Also, I hear that they are already working on the next Batman reboot. So they are obviously just going to continue to milk this franchise dry.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    I'm on the contrary side of that Beast.

Now in terms of acting and a star portraying a person they are pretending to be, you can't take away from Heath Ledger's Joker or Aaron Eckhart's Harvey Dent / Two Face.

Those were real performances.
    Really bad performances. I loathed Heath Ledger's Joker. To me, it wasn't the Joker.

There was no sense of him being a genius chemsist, no sense of him being a chaotic individual.

Both of which Nicholson's Joker nailed perfectly. With the Smilex Gas and the Random Mixture Element.

Hell, outside of the "Pencil Trick", the Nolanverse Joker was lacking any sense of humor at all.

Something that Nicholson's Joker also showcased. A good balance between scary and crazy clown.

Plus how he just casually asks for Bob The Goon's Gun and shoots him. He just felt like "The Joker".

In terms of taste, I was not looking for a comic book adaptation, but enjoy the all-adult-audiences inner-city grit of this sort of gang-warfare movie, the way the Nolan universe has always conducted itself. Bordering on the very believably possible.
    You do realize where your logic fails in this area, right? It IS a comic book adaptation. That's the whole point of using the DC Comics character of Batman in a movie. Not making a comic book adaption when that's exactly what you are making makes no sense. This isn't supposed to be a crime drama or gang-warfare movie. It's called "BATMAN". And the whole believeable realism aspect of the movies jumped off a cliff with the silly Batpod, ridiculous damage to Two-Face's face, and the fricking BAT SPACESHIP in the latest movie.

Nobody can do the Joker like mark Hamill.
    Nowhere in your incoherent ramblings did you come anywhere close to the answer. Thanks to you, everyone in this room is now stupider having heard you. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul. -Billy Madison-

Well, I did not want light-heartedness to this story for one.

It plays off a dark psychological tone (the nolan movies) with references to being disgusted with humanity. Something I can relate to. However, where you could see me agreeing with Rhas al Ghul that our society needs to be destroyed so we can start all over again, I think that Bruce's unwillingness to give up on people and provide a symbol for hope makes him courageous and heroic.

The sociopaths Batman goes up in these movies are expressions of this disgust with humanity. In the Nolan movies. Rhas al Ghul understood this concept best.

Now others might prefer stuff like the Schumacher films. I'd go and see them but hardly enjoy them as much.

Quote Originally Posted by Tycho View Post
    Well, I did not want light-heartedness to this story for one.

It plays off a dark psychological tone (the nolan movies) with references to being disgusted with humanity.
    You are reading way too much into things if that is the meaning and message you got from the films.
    Something I can relate to. However, where you could see me agreeing with Rhas al Ghul that our society needs to be destroyed so we can start all over again, I think that Bruce's unwillingness to give up on people and provide a symbol for hope makes him courageous and heroic.
    Your skewed view of things really does color the films in a way that wasn't intende by Nolan. Or anyone involved.
    The sociopaths Batman goes up in these movies are expressions of this disgust with humanity. In the Nolan movies. Rhas al Ghul understood this concept best.
    You're grasping at straws that are not there. Watch the extras for these films. There's no hidden message here.

Now others might prefer stuff like the Schumacher films. I'd go and see them but hardly enjoy them as much.
    Refrencing the Schumacher films when there's far better Batman interpretatiions to refrence is silly.

The Burton films nailed it perfectly. Even the DC Animated Features did. So did the Animated Series.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    You are reading way too much into things if that is the meaning and message you got from the films.

Your skewed view of things really does color the films in a way that wasn't intende by Nolan. Or anyone involved.

You're grasping at straws that are not there. Watch the extras for these films. There's no hidden message here.
    I'll eventually take a look at the DVD extras. You've seen some information I have not.

However, I write my novels from my "skewed point of view" and I need philosophies and motivations contributing as the catalyst for the actions the killers in my stories take. You have to understand good villains to write for them.

I'm interested in Nolan's take on the characters because they are still his interpretation of Bob Kane's story.

I've said more than a few times that I could have had Luke turn to the Dark Side and supplant the Emperor, failing to establish the justice that Vader never delivered. To further make Star Wars a nature/nurture psychological thriller, I'd make sure to be none to subtle in saying that Darth Plagueis used Palpatine's DNA to create Anakin and "Hego Damask's" (Plagueis real identity as a medical / pharmaceutical company director) access to Shmi Skywalker (unwittingly) to become his incubator for the ultimate Sith (Anakin).

Refrencing the Schumacher films when there's far better Batman interpretatiions to refrence is silly.

The Burton films nailed it perfectly. Even the DC Animated Features did. So did the Animated Series.
    I thought you wanted "silly." My mistake about what you meant by "light or with some levity" such as with the Robin character which Nolan's Bruce is not likely to work with. He worked with Catwoman only because he needed to.

I agree with you on the Burton films. I own them and love them (Batman and Returns). I did not buy the Jim Carrey or Arnold movies.

I watched and enjoyed the animated shows and West's, but I am not passionate about them the way I am about the Nolan films.