Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Last wave not at retail? (Several grains of salt required....)

Here's a bit of an odd question. I think it's bogus, but figured I'd throw it out to be confirmed or denied for certain.

I saw on Facebook that a friend of mine who's also a SW collector commented on a status from a page called "Star Wars The Vintage Collection." Their status reads as follows:
    WTF?!?!!? Hasbro management need a kick in the head!!!! Khai

FROM FLYGUY.NET:
    *IMPORTANT NEWS FOR VINTAGE COLLECTORS* Last wave of vintage will NOT be reaching USA/CAN/AUS retail At ALL! Only online stores will get stock. Only EUR will get limited retail stock. Last wave of Vintage drama as usual. Don't say we didn't warn you...
    Several comments from people freaking out, and I had the momentary "Omigod! How will I get the last wave? Is there even anyone in that wave I need?" thoughts. I even checked the site they cited, which I'd never heard of before tonight but appears to be a SW collecting blog, and can't find this information there anywhere.

Like I said, looks to me to be 110% made up, but has anyone heard anything along these lines (preferably from a reputable source)?

Or should I break out PhotoShop, play around with some photos from earlier conventions, and claim to have bought some of the canceled G.I. Joe figures at Ross so I can make everyone rush out to look for figures that were never produced? (Just kidding.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I haven't seen anything to this effect - not even rumors - and I assume Hasbro would have mentioned this at SDCC if it were true. Since so many people have had difficulty finding this year's figures past the TPM wave, they've mostly ordered online anyway, and then when you factor in typical "last wave syndrome," people are probably more worried than ever about finding the final figures for this line. That said, the only two figures I don't want from the case are the repacked Aurra Sing and Mawhonic, so buying a case might not be the worst idea in the world for me.

That said, I haven't seen anything about these figures popping up on online stores for pre-order yet, so I guess anything's possible (however unlikely, to paraphrase Tagge ).

I've seen one figure after the deleted scenes wave at retail so far this year, so not seeing them in stores would be nothing new. As bad as wave one and all of the repacks of wave 1 are backing up, I wouldn't be surprised if retailers were a little gunshy of ordering more Vintage figures.

After years of putting off the urge, I finally broke down and ordered a case of figures (wave 5) from Entertainment Earth. Got tired of finding nothing at the stores. I did the math, and after sales tax, gas, time, etc... the price of the case about equals out.

Now I can honestly say I have Darth Malgus in my collection. : )

I still love the hunt, going out on toy runs, but it just got frustrating finding the peg warmers or remains of the case.

The only other mention of this I've seen of this rumor is at JediTempleArchives.com, where they again just list it as a rumor. But the comments are full of people panicking and declaring their love of Star Wars to be dead. Hyperbolic much? If it were true - and there's still no inkling that it is - then this wouldn't be the first time this happened, with the final 2010 Legacy Collection becoming a TRU/online exclusive. If this is true, though, hopefully there will be enough for everyone.

Sooo, which wave is this supposed to be? The Ep1 repacks from the DTF line wave? Whose all supposed to be in that wave?

I'm actually a little fuzzy on where we are supposed to be at in terms of what should be out now and what's coming up next. The Nikto/Tarkin wave is the one that should be in stores now and the next wave is the Weequay wave correct?

The last figure I really "need" to get this year is Weequay, so I'm not extremely worried about it. Although I would like to get ahold of Nein Nunb, Pruneface, Lumat and maybe the Royal Guard (the inclusion of the EU armor pieces might make this one a pass for me).

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Sooo, which wave is this supposed to be? The Ep1 repacks from the DTF line wave? Whose all supposed to be in that wave?
    The current wave is the Tarkin wave:
    97. Odd Ball (Clone Pilot)
    98. Grand Moff Tarkin
    99. Nikto Skiff Guard
    100. Starkiller (Vader's Apprentice)
    101. Shae Vizla (Old Republic Bounty Hunter)
    This case is shipping with seven carry-forward figures - Darth Malgus, Luke Skywalker (Lightsaber Construction), ANH Darth Vader, Bom Vimdin, Luke Skywalker (Hoth Outfit), Barriss Offee, and Wedge Antilles.

The following wave is the "lost line look" wave:
    108. Jar Jar Binks
    109. Clone Trooper Lieutenant
    110. Shock Trooper
    111. Princess Leia (Bespin Outfit)
    112. Sandtrooper
    115. Darth Vader
    These figures debuted in the SDCC Carbonite Chamber set. They are listed as in stock at online retailers, and only just started shipping from Entertainment Earth (not sure about other sites). The case features two of each figure - one on the standard Vintage Collection card, and another on the "lost line look" card.

The final wave of the Vintage Collection (and the subject of this thread) is as follows:
    71. Mawhonic (Podracer Pilot) - Discover the Force repack
    72. Naboo Pilot - Discover the Force repack
    73. Aurra Sing - Discover the Force repack
    74. Gungan Warrior - Discover the Force repack
    102. Ahsoka
    103. Obi-Wan Kenobi
    104. Lumat
    105. Emperor’s Royal Guard
    106. Nien Nunb
    107. Weequay
    113. Republic Trooper (The Old Republic)
    114. Orrimaarko (Prune Face)

Older information said that the final two waves would be coming in different case assortments, mixed up with several carry-forward figures - but the double-packed "lost line" wave figures were not on the list, so I'm thinking that the final wave, which just so happens to include 12 figures, will be packed one per case (though I don't think this has been confirmed).

Why would the inclusion of the EU armor on the Emperor's Royal Guard make you pass? I could see if you were a carded collector, perhaps, but you can just as easily ignore or toss that stuff if you open the figure.

I totally forgot about the "lost line" wave. There are a few figures in that wave that I MIGHT pick up if I see them in a store, but I don't think I would order any of them through the mail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    Why would the inclusion of the EU armor on the Emperor's Royal Guard make you pass? I could see if you were a carded collector, perhaps, but you can just as easily ignore or toss that stuff if you open the figure.
    There is so much wrong with the way the figure is made that I don't think I would want to buy any loose versions to display. The robe looks inferior to the vintage Kenner robe - strike one. The hand cannot hold the staff properly (which the POTF2 figure got right) - strike two. The figure is going to have an EU character's headsculpt under the helmet - that's three strikes against the loose figure.

Hasbro changed the cardback image - strike one against the carded figure. They put the stupid EU armor right up front in the bubble so it's impossible to ignore - strike two against the carded figure.

So, that's 3 strikes against the figure itself and 2 strikes against the packaging. When you add in the fact that I just don't care about the Emperor's Royal Guards anymore because I think they have been totally ruined by the EU, then you get an almost definite pass for me. I'm not going to totally rule out buying the figure, but it's going to have to really impress me when I see it in person before I decide to buy it.

If I never see one in the store, then the toy will not be added to my collection.

Quote Originally Posted by OC47150 View Post
    After years of putting off the urge, I finally broke down and ordered a case of figures (wave 5) from Entertainment Earth. Got tired of finding nothing at the stores. I did the math, and after sales tax, gas, time, etc... the price of the case about equals out.

I still love the hunt, going out on toy runs, but it just got frustrating finding the peg warmers or remains of the case.
    I've been pretty much an online case or partial case guy for the last year or so. It saddens me that I cannot find anything at retail, save for the DS wave, which they wouldn't let me buy 'cos it wasn't in the system 'cos they were "recalled", but I went back the next day and "tricked" them into selling them to me. Oh, and while we're on it, how is that "recalled" merchandise made it back out onto the salesfloor a mere 12 hours later?

But, yeah... the Target over by me has had the silver dot restock/on-order indicators on the tags since the end of March and they haven't gotten a single new thing in. How do I know this? There are no new pegwarmers to indicate any leave-behinds. I've been starting at the same Naboo Royal Guard since January. So sad...

I didn't get the Darth Malgus 'cos I just don't care about him, but I did want the Imperial Navy Commander, which I got from the UK for $16.99 shipped. It's kinda funny how I view that to be a bargain anymore.
    OK... I BLOG. YOU READ. at http://jedipartner1967.livejournal.com
    **Steven Sterlekar (1969-2001)**

I was fortunate enough to find the Imp Navy officer on the pegs like two months ago. I missed Malgus by a short time; he showed up on ebay from by zip code later that day.