Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Article: Yoda impressions no more: Frank Oz tells Star Wars fans he won't do the voic

"SirSteve"
    Check out my new venture:
    CollectionStation.com - A social network for collectors!

Given his attitude toward the recent Muppets movie, I'd say Oz is turning into a grumpy old man.

The article is misleading though. The first part is talking about Alec Guiness. But doesn't mention that til 3 paragraphs in after the massive picture of Frank Oz and Yoda. And the title of the article makes it sound like he's not willing to do the voice anymore at all. I can understand him not wanting to be asked to do Yoda or any of the Muppet voices by fans. It's gotta get annoying after a while. But it's clear he's happy to talk about the characters. He's certainly not as cranky and asshatty as Alec Guiness was.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Honestly, I don't blame either one of them. Just because they starred in some extremely popular movies doesn't meant that they are obligated to "perform" for over-enthusiastic fans at the drop of a hat for the rest of their natural lives.

I don't see either of them as "ungrateful, grumpy old men" I actually see "fans" who have no regard whatsoever for other people's privacy.

I was also considering his refusal to voice any characters in the new Muppets movie because it wasn't "his" Muppets. (Seemed more like the real Muppets than the last couple of movies, Oz or no Oz.)
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbarada View Post
    Honestly, I don't blame either one of them. Just because they starred in some extremely popular movies doesn't meant that they are obligated to "perform" for over-enthusiastic fans at the drop of a hat for the rest of their natural lives.

I don't see either of them as "ungrateful, grumpy old men" I actually see "fans" who have no regard whatsoever for other people's privacy.
    In Alec Guiness' case it was just being an "grumpy old man". When you make children cry you've gone too far.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Article clarity fixed.

I don't think Guiness meant it to be a grumpy old mean person, he played a role and wanted to live his life, not to live Obi-Wan's life. He was absolutely right that devoting one's entire free time and life to watching Star Wars wouldn't be healthy, there has to be more to life than just 1 thing.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    Given his attitude toward the recent Muppets movie, I'd say Oz is turning into a grumpy old man.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I was also considering his refusal to voice any characters in the new Muppets movie because it wasn't "his" Muppets. (Seemed more like the real Muppets than the last couple of movies, Oz or no Oz.)
    The last few Muppet movies have all been bad. After Jim died, it just hasn't been the same. The most recent piece of tripe wasn't a Muppet movie at all, it was a Jason Segel movie that the Muppets co-starred in.

Now that I'm done ranting, I don't really blame Frank for not doing the voices. It's one thing if he does a few Muppet performances on stage at a convention or something, or if a fan recognizes him and just has to walk up and say hi (which is pushing the line a bit to me), but when the guy's out having dinner and someone asks him to do Yoda... I belive I'd have to smack someone for that.

Quote Originally Posted by morpheus282 View Post
    The last few Muppet movies have all been bad. After Jim died, it just hasn't been the same. The most recent piece of tripe wasn't a Muppet movie at all, it was a Jason Segel movie that the Muppets co-starred in.

Now that I'm done ranting, I don't really blame Frank for not doing the voices. It's one thing if he does a few Muppet performances on stage at a convention or something, or if a fan recognizes him and just has to walk up and say hi (which is pushing the line a bit to me), but when the guy's out having dinner and someone asks him to do Yoda... I belive I'd have to smack someone for that.
    I liked Muppets from Space, that movie had the originals' heart.
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"In Brooklyn, a castle, is where dwell I"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.