Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

SDCC Carbonite Chamber

Will it be available on hasbrotoyshop? I've been looking. Did they sell out?

I've been looking as well, and I don't think they've gone online yet. Apparently, last year's exclusives went online the Tuesday after the convention, but that doesn't mean I'm not going to keep checking today. I know they sold out of their allotment for the convention, but I'm assuming (or at least hoping) that they set some aside for the website.

Just ordered mine, and with free shipping, so the 10% off code doesn't work. Better hurry before they're gone!
    "I take orders from just one person - ME!"

I forgot about this thread, as I consider this a Vintage release . . . anyway, I got mine, but they're already sold out. That was fast, and some of the other exclusives were gone even faster.

Well, looks like I missed it by a matter of minutes. 2 years in a row of exclusives I would have payed good money for and Hasbro doesn't want to take it. The real kick in the arse is that the one event I will be able to make it to, Celebration VI, they're not even making an exclusive for. Oh well, more money to spend on Lego sets, at least you can find those in stores.

They should, since they're investing in the molds anyway, do some sort of "non exclusive" for all SDCC exclusives that's a little different. Maybe take the foil sticker off the boxes. Remove one accessory from the figures. In this case, I'm sure a lot of people would've been happy with just the Jar Jar being sold separately.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

And so begins my crusade for carbonite Jar Jar to win the next greatest hits poll and see a rerelease.
    Have: CW Yularen, CW Clone, everything from CW Slave I set except Slave I, TFU Shadow Stormtrooper x2, Evo Trooper, Saga AT-AT Driver, K-Mart Jodo Kast || Want: Vintage Fordo
    Thanks to TheDarthVader, Phantom-like Menace, TheRealDubya, Jediguy, Dark Marble, Umbra, Qui-Long Gone, CrunchyNug, GH_fan and jedikiss.

Quote Originally Posted by mtriv73 View Post
    Well, looks like I missed it by a matter of minutes. 2 years in a row of exclusives I would have payed good money for and Hasbro doesn't want to take it. The real kick in the arse is that the one event I will be able to make it to, Celebration VI, they're not even making an exclusive for. Oh well, more money to spend on Lego sets, at least you can find those in stores.
    They should have offered the carbonite set at CVI as well as SDCC. They did that for the 4-LOM and Zuckuss two-pack in 2010, IIRC, though they also had the Camie and Fixer pack at CV.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter
    They should, since they're investing in the molds anyway, do some sort of "non exclusive" for all SDCC exclusives that's a little different. Maybe take the foil sticker off the boxes. Remove one accessory from the figures. In this case, I'm sure a lot of people would've been happy with just the Jar Jar being sold separately.
    Their idea (in theory, at least) is usually that the figures could be seen as separate or supplementary to a normal collection - Jorg Sacul, CIII Vader, and carbonite Jar Jar fit the bill, as they're not based on anything from the actual canon. Things like the CIV McQuarrie figures veer into the "if you have the other figures from this subline, you're gonna want these" territory, and so did the Camie and Fixer two-pack. I don't know much about the other lines, but the GI Joe stuff painted like Transformers is probably a little outside the realm of the regular line as well (though I dunno about those Jinx figures). Of course, for weirdos like me who have to have anything that's slightly unique, it's a different story.

For last year's giant Death Star set, the packaging was the only thing that was exclusive - everything else was re-released to a point of oversaturation a few months later, aside from the previously-released Salacious Crumb and Mouse Droid (their cards were part of the exclusivity). It was presented cool, but since the only difference was the packaging, I can live without it.

As to the cost of the mold, I'm assuming some of it has to be offset - at least in Jar Jar's case - by the other figures coming with it. They're all being packed into the main line, and only two of the figures are all-new molds anyway (plus changes to Vader and the sandtrooper). People can get the same "lost line look" or just regular Vintage cards for the wave. So those figures can't cost very much comparatively, and putting everything in a big set allows them to charge a lot of money and make you feel like you're getting a good bang for your buck (to some degree, anyway). I would have rather just bought Jar Jar by itself (two, actually, so I could keep one carded and open the other one), but if this is the way it's gonna be, then so be it.

Hasbro's been really weird with SDCC Joe exclusives lately. On the one hand, there are the crossover figures with Transformers, which are just cool icing for your collection. On the other hand, with basic figure exclusives, it's a bizarre mix: most people won't want Cobra Commander in a pinstripe suit, and Sergeant Slaughter has rights issues that'd prevent him from being made as a mainstream figure. But Jinx is an important character (both in the classic line and Retaliation, which was supposed to be out around the time of SDCC), Zarana is immensely important and was highly-requested for ages (she'd be really tough for all but the best to customize), and the Destro figure was the only unmasked Rise of Cobra figure (as opposed to that pegwarming figure of the character as he appeared for all of six seconds at the end).

That's opposed to Transformers, who look to normally be repaints of existing figures to look like obscure Japan-only characters.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

I think I got one of the last ones. I ordered it, went back to the website after I got done, and it was already sold out. Kinda lucked out, I guess.