Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Essential Expanded Universe - And Beyond (What Characters to Have, Who to Make?)

MadSlantedPowers devised a great polling thread concerned with which characters from the OT and PT are most needed in the Hasbro 3 3/4" action figure line.

After discussing it with him, I learned he did not plan on going into the Expanded Universe.

I've always viewed the EU as the only potential future for the figure line beyond re-carding and gimmicking all the regular essential figures from the movie line (vintage-style cardbacks, light-up lightsabers).

So I took inspiration from MSP's polling thread and created this one. I am borrowing some of his introductory language below.

(paraphrased from an original post by MadSlantedPowers)

Here is the premise. Assume a new line of Star Wars figures is being made. This could be now, or possibly in the distant future after the current line has died out, or perhaps you have travelled back in time to 1995 and could decide which EXPANDED UNIVERSE figures should be made. In either case, which EXPANDED UNIVERSE figures should be made? Imagine that they would be ultimate versions that would never need to be remade. This line will include any REALISTIC versions of characters offered in comics, books, video games, animation, and role playing games.

I have made a separate thread here for Clone Wars figures in the animated style:

20 Clone Wars Animated Style Figures You Wish Hasbro Would Make Before They End The Line

Note that the linked thread is for a continuation of the existing line and not starting over and replacing armored Obi-Wan Kenobi or Cad Bane, whom we already have figures of.

Voting for those characters here, or the cruise missile trooper, Ewok or Droids or Holiday Special Cartoon figures, will be counted as a vote for realistic versions of those characters. And if you deem them essential, realistic figures of Ahsoka and Hondo Ohnaka are elligible here if you think Hasbro should replicate their offerings in the animated line.

But do tend to think about what characters most easily interact with the existing realistic movie figure line, such as Grand Admiral Thrawn commands stormtroopers and faces Jedi Knight Luke Skywalker - figures who are obviously going to be available to us in the movie line.

It would probably be a good thing for Hasbro to sell EU characters that can interact well with all their other figure product offerings. But the final voting choice is up to you.

MadSlantedPowers is taking his Essential Movie Character List up to 144 figures by his conclusion of things.

I'll take the EU up to only 25% of that, or the 36 most necessary EU characters, letting you all vote for any you'd like in 3 rounds of 12.

So here goes.

List your first 12 most essential EU figures to be offered in the realistic format.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

These are the most essential (most of which we already have figures of).

1. Grand Admiral Thrawn
    2. Mara Jade
    3. Talon Karrde
    4. Guri
    5. Dash Rendar
    6. Prince Xizor
    7. Jaina Solo (tan apprentice outfit)
    8. Jacen Solo (tan apprentice outfit)
    9. Yuuzhan Vong (generic warrior)
    10. Supreme Overlord Shimrra (Vong leader)
    11. Corran Horn (Jedi Knight)
    12. Ysanne Isaard (Imperial Intelligence)

In my opinion the PT EU is best represented by the CW for being the most interactive with the movie characters, but the animated line (kept separate due to the style) best represents that genre.
    BAD Pts Need: R5-C7 lf leg (x2), , R4-P44 right leg BAD Pts Offered For Trade: PM me - I have lots of parts now including BG-J38!. New Kyle Katarn is also available.

Sorry, I'll have to go a little further back in EU time. Unless that's "illegal" for this thread.

1. GA Thrawn
    2. Nomi Sunrider
    3. Exar Kuhn (or maybe Darth Bane... but I'll stick with EK)
    4. Guri
    5. Jaina Solo (apprentice, youth)
    6. Kyp Durron (Jedi Master)
    7. Jaxxon
    8. Prince Xizor
    9. Mara Jade
    10. Borsk Feyla
    11. Admiral Daala
    111/2. Waro! (kidding)
    12. Blue Max
    "That's what Sheev said."

Quote Originally Posted by Bel-Cam Jos View Post
    Sorry, I'll have to go a little further back in EU time. Unless that's "illegal" for this thread.
    No. That's perfect.

It's whatever people want (as long as they are realistically designed figures).

Already from your votes, Thrawn, Mara Jade, Prince Xizor, and Jaina Solo are ahead of the rest since we both voted for them in the first round. I'd say this is a step towards labeling them "essential EU."

I love the TOTJ series and will hopefully have room on my list for Nomi, Exar, and Ulic, as well as Kyp Durron in a later round. Kyp is the only one that interacts with existing movie line figures like Han Solo and the stormtroopers, so I'd see myself voting for him soon, since presumably you'd buy those other movie figures to affect play or dioramas with your Kyp Durron figure.

But anyway, let's see what recommendations everyone gives.

I will vote, but need to give it some thought first.

I saw Waru figures were on sale at Ralph's this week. I think they were $3.99 per pound.
    Tommy, close your eyes.

Not necessarily in order of importance:

1. Chukha-Trok
    2. Jann Tosh
    3. Kaink (Ewok Adventure outfit)
    4. Uncle Gundy
    5. Kez Iban
    6. Thal Joben
    7. Latara *
    8. Teebo *
    9. Paploo *
    10. Weechee *
    11. Noah
    12. Cindell

* Ewoks cartoon designs made in realistic style; but I would love to see animated versions of these guys too.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

That Mara Jade figure they're coming out with is 55% disappointing.

It's such a great sculpt that she gets in her positive points for that. However, I think the fans wanted the green Jedi Knight outfit.

However, for our poll here - the essential figures - I think Mara in her iconic blue Imperial Agent outfit is what people would say is iconic.

Anyway, let's see if anyone else wants to vote the 12 most essential figures for an EU collection (as they're obviously going to be a lot of figures already made - like Thrawn) and then I'll tally them up and start a new round asking for more. Save those votes, because we don't know who made the list yet.

Again, any Clone Wars figures you choose to vote for in this thread are for their REALISITC versions. That goes for Ewoks and Droid cartoon figures, too - as the Princess Kneesa figure Hasbro just released was made realisitc for the TRU 5-pack. HOWEVER - I think you could vote for any character in a cartoon version too, if you think they're part of any essential 12 EU figures - EXCEPT - Cartoon Network Clone Wars figures since we have a separate poll / separate line for that.

IOW: Riff Tamsen here is realistic. Riff Tamsen in the CW thread is his actual show version from the cartoon.
    Princess Kneesa here can be however you specify her. Same with Thall Joban or Kea Moll.

We have 9 figures and a potential run-off for 3 slots.

The 9 figures that made it (please do not vote for these again - they're "in" already) are:

3 votes:

Grand Admiral Thrawn
    Mara Jade
    Jaina Solo

2 votes:

Jacen Solo
    Talon Karrde
    Guri
    Prince Xizor
    Corran Horn
    Nomi Sunrider

Instead of doing a run-off, I am going to ask you to vote for 15 figures in this next round.