Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Well, the series wrapped up last week and for those not keeping up with the event and who don't mind a few spoilers.

Scott Summers loses control of the Dark Phoenix and volcanic eruptions and spontaneous fires begin springing up across the globe and burning the entire world. Scarlett Witch and Hope team up against Phoenix and, with Jean Grey's help, the Phoenix leaves Scott Summers; but then takes over Hope. She flies around the world and puts out all the fires and becomes the White Phoenix. However, Scarlett Witch stops her and, using their powers together, Hope and Scarlett Witch declare "No more Phoenix."

The full consequences of this haven't been explained yet, but the Phoenix disappears and suddenly more mutants start manifesting across the globe. So it effectively restarts the mutant gene and undoes Scarlett Witch's earlier statement of "No more mutants" from House of M several years ago.

Scott Summers is now in solitary confinement inside of a ruby quartz prison cell and Emma Frost, Namor, Magneto, Colossus and Magik are at large and being hunted down by the Avengers. Meanwhile, Captain America begins forming a new Avengers team that fully merges the Avengers and X-Men together into one cohesive unit.

So it looks like the entire Utopia/Extinction Team era of the X-Men is officially over. Which is good, because I was never a fan of the direction Cyclops was leading the X-Men in.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Well, 17 issues into All-New X-Men and I can honestly say that I love almost everything about this series. They even shook up the romantic status quo and explored the possibility of Beast and Jean Grey getting together:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	All-New_X-Men_Vol_1_15_Textless.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	78.1 KB 
ID:	27997
    It didn't last, but it was still cool to see it as a possibility.

The only way I would improve it would be to break the O5 team away from the existing X-Men completely. Since the current storyline is the current X-Men trying to force the O5 to go back to the past, then I wouldn't mind if the O5 became sort of a rogue team running around in the future, helping people and trying to keep their distance from the modern teams. It would be similar to the early X-Factor days when they never made contact with the X-Men because of ideological differences.

I would also change their costumes, which is apparently going to happen soon and I think the new costumes look awesome:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	detail.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	98.9 KB 
ID:	27998
    The color schemes kind of remind me of their X-Factor/X-Terminator uniforms; but I'm glad they've moved away from the "giant X" design element. It was cool back in the '80s, but it's a little overused now.
    "To be concerned about being grown up, to admire the grown up because it is grown up, to blush at the suspicion of being childish; these things are the marks of childhood and adolescence… When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

They're going to shake it up even more... since Young Scott is smooching X-23 on a future cover.

Plus she's joining the All-New X-Men cast. And getting a similar costume in Black.

So we have the Power X-Rangers. Which also means Bobby is the Pink Ranger.
    THE SPY. THE SPACEMAN. THE GODDESS. THE ROBOT. THE GORILLA.

AGENTS OF ATLAS - Returns in Early 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Beast View Post
    They're going to shake it up even more... since Young Scott is smooching X-23 on a future cover.

Plus she's joining the All-New X-Men cast. And getting a similar costume in Black.

So we have the Power X-Rangers. Which also means Bobby is the Pink Ranger.
    Yeah, I saw that cover in the NYCC announcement also. It's really cool that they are shaking up the Scott+Jean love story a bit. Those two were pretty much "destined" to be together throughout the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s and 1990s; so it's time for a new storyline when it comes to Scott Summers and Jean Grey. Even though, I'm sure they'll end up together eventually.

I'm actually really excited about what we might see next in this series, mainly because it's the first time that the future of the original five X-Men has been an unknown in over 20 years. Sure 4 of the 5 exist in the current timeline, but I like seeing them as a team.

Also, I don't really see how it's possible for them to go back now. Of course, Professor X is going to erase their memories, but Jean is becoming a pretty powerful telepath, so it's possible that she could block the Professor. But even if she couldn't, the Professor will end up knowing everything they know about the future, just by reading their minds, and there is no way that knowledge is NOT going to have some affect on the decisions he makes from that point on. For instance, he's going to know that Jean Grey is not Dark Phoenix and that she's actually in a capsule at the bottom of the ocean. That knowledge alone would completely change the way the events of the Dark Phoenix Saga play out. Plus, how is Professor X going to continue to train Cyclops as the leader of the team knowing that Scott will eventually murder him?

Basically, I think there is no going back for the original X-Men.