Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    It went up on the front page, but it went down pretty quickly amid all the CVI coverage. (On a related note, when I click to go to older pages of news, it just refreshes the first page instead.)
    Thanks!

Glad to hear about the 2nd Scanning Crew Trooper.

Quote Originally Posted by JediTricks View Post
    This area and the cons in this area generally have a lot of gray market, but I thought the SW line was being imported and distributed by Diamond.
    Didn't know that there was so much grey market stuff at cons: I've only been to one! Yep, they were imported by Diamond but DA stated that they were only licensed for release outside of N. America. I guess Diamond fudged it.
    Diamond distributed them in Canada without bilingual packaging so that's an indicator of some fudginess. Legally, almost all products must be labelled in both languages up here.

Yep, I even made my own Titanium TYE-Wing, actually. There are a few more uglies I'd like to do: some are cool... and not so ugly.

Goldfinger wasn't SPECTRE, he was working with the Chinese. You are right that if the gold wasn't evaporated in Fort Knox that it'd still be there, but it'd still be treated as unusable on the global market.
    In the Rogue Agent game, Goldfinger was SPECTRE but you're right about "Red China" in the film. Thought there was a throw-away line about SPECTRE in the movie but I'm totally mistaken, apparently. My bad.
    In the book, Goldfinger was gonna actually steal the gold from Fort Knox, IIRC.
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. JabbaJohnL View Post
    It went up on the front page, but it went down pretty quickly amid all the CVI coverage. (On a related note, when I click to go to older pages of news, it just refreshes the first page instead.)
    Yeah, we've been trying to get that fixed for a few months, the news category next pages work but not the main page, very annoying, it's malformed code I think.

I thought I had linked it from this thread, is that not true? Yeah, ok, I see it, post #4. So it's your fault for missing it, BB.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chuxter View Post
    I thought the Uglies were a cool idea, but the notion that there was enough homogeny among them to give them type names was ludicrous.
    I suppose that's true, but if you have a surplus of parts and there's proven methods that work together, I guess you keep using the recipe that doesn't fall apart on you.

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Duranium View Post
    Didn't know that there was so much grey market stuff at cons: I've only been to one! Yep, they were imported by Diamond but DA stated that they were only licensed for release outside of N. America. I guess Diamond fudged it.
    Diamond distributed them in Canada without bilingual packaging so that's an indicator of some fudginess. Legally, almost all products must be labelled in both languages up here.
    There used to be even more gray market, but as the cost of shipping and flying has gone up, the value of bringing it over here has lowered which cuts into profits.

It's pretty lame of them to claim they have a license they can't use in their home market.

I think regarding the labeling, they don't have to have French labeling if they don't distribute them in Quebec, that's what the deal was about 10 years ago or so when Hasbro SW products were showing up in Canada on American cards.

Yep, I even made my own Titanium TYE-Wing, actually. There are a few more uglies I'd like to do: some are cool... and not so ugly.
    That's pretty wild, how did you get the parts to cling together?

In the Rogue Agent game, Goldfinger was SPECTRE but you're right about "Red China" in the film. Thought there was a throw-away line about SPECTRE in the movie but I'm totally mistaken, apparently. My bad.
    In the book, Goldfinger was gonna actually steal the gold from Fort Knox, IIRC.
    Games take liberties. Goldeneye 64 is more interesting than the movie.

STEAL THE GOLD?!? How lazy of a storyline is that? "Well, we caught Goldfinger and his crew taking gold bars out of the vault about 3 days after he started, muttering how he didn't realize it'd take so long to load up. We actually saw him doing it on the first day, but thought it'd be funnier if he just kept loading and loading, never getting close enough to his goal to make it worth his while. I mean, that crazy operation had to cost a fortune to get off the ground, stealing a couple bars couldn't have covered much of his initial investment."
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

There used to be even more gray market, but as the cost of shipping and flying has gone up, the value of bringing it over here has lowered which cuts into profits.

It's pretty lame of them to claim they have a license they can't use in their home market.
    DA is a European outfit so I guess their home market is Europe, but I agree that it's ridiculous to proscribe SW products from N. America. I guess the license is considerably cheaper if they leave us out.

I think regarding the labeling, they don't have to have French labeling if they don't distribute them in Quebec, that's what the deal was about 10 years ago or so when Hasbro SW products were showing up in Canada on American cards.
    Quebec does indeed have additional regs but Federal regs insist that packaging must be in both languages unless it's a test-marketed item. I do know that this was not rigorously enforced, though it's getting quite rare to find exceptions these days.
    Diamond is probably exploiting a loophole that allows unilingual magazines (and presumably partworks). Funny, the only non-bilingual Hasbro products I've seen on the shelves were brought up here by Diamond and sold at Mom & Pops. I bought a lot of Titaniums in US packaging but never found any unilingual stuff at a TRU or WM.
    In fact, the BSG Titaniums were never licensed for Canada but still turned up in US packaging at comic shops. Kinda insulting, considering it was a Canadian co-production and was shot up here.

That's pretty wild, how did you get the parts to cling together?
    I think I posted a pic way back when, I could post another if you're interested. The Krazy Glue Pen is the answer to your question: I used the cockpit and struts of a DA TIE and drilled holes into the engines of an F-Toys Y-Wing, added a yellow decal around the window, and assembled them on a Titanium stand. Didn't even need to paint the body: they were perfectly matched grey/white parts.

Games take liberties. Goldeneye 64 is more interesting than the movie.

STEAL THE GOLD?!? How lazy of a storyline is that? "Well, we caught Goldfinger and his crew taking gold bars out of the vault about 3 days after he started, muttering how he didn't realize it'd take so long to load up. We actually saw him doing it on the first day, but thought it'd be funnier if he just kept loading and loading, never getting close enough to his goal to make it worth his while. I mean, that crazy operation had to cost a fortune to get off the ground, stealing a couple bars couldn't have covered much of his initial investment."
    I loved Goldeneye 64, we used have a riot in head-to-head mode in particular. Wasn't fussy about Goldeneye Reloaded at all. Didn't mind Bloodstone, though: it had its moments and it was fun to drive the DB5.

Hehe, maybe Goldfinger planned to smelt up a fleet of solid gold zeppelins and float 'em out of there.
    I laugh out loud every time I hear Bond's "Run along now. Man-talk." line in the Goldfinger film. Classic sexism writ humongous.
    McCoy: What do those super sensitive ears make of that, Mr. Spock?
    Spock: Wood. Rubbing on some kind of leather.