Hybrid View

LEGO Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Out was awesome!

Did anybody else watch this last week? It was in the same vein as LEGO Star Wars: The Padawan Menace - tons of humor, high-quality visuals, a fun and cute cheeky story. This time it's just after Luke destroys the Death Star, but before they go to Hoth. The visuals actually look better here, for LEGO this is getting pretty close to cinematic quality I'd say. The humor is a shotgun blast of styles, some very goofy, some very obvious, some actually quite Star Wars geeky, and tons of humor in the backgrounds. If they were to do an all-new LEGO SW game like this I'd buy it. I laughed enough that I saved it on DVR and will definitely watch it again.

What did you guys think?
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I DVR'd it and watched it this past weekend. I definitely liked it better than the Padawan Menace. It wasn't a laugh riot or anything but there was enough to be quite entertaining - the background signs were some of the best stuff, and there was so much crammed in there that I want to go back and watch it again. Darth Maul got some of the best lines, though there was enough to go around. I liked the Boss Nass-style Gungan army, too.

I know that Detours has one of the writers from either this special or the last one, which I think is a good sign.

I am not expecting Detours to be this good, but it's also got the problem of not LOOKING this good, the look of Detours makes me want to punch someone in the face, it looks like "funny by committee".
    Darth Vader is becoming the Mickey Mouse of Star Wars.

"We named the dog 'Chewbacca'!"
    The use of a lightsaber does not make one a Jedi, it is the ability to not use it.

I finally watched it last night, and I DID think it was hilarious, with several LOL-worthy moments (the "Mission Accomplished" banner, Chewie's TP foot, Hayden's fan club headshot, the Gungan spitting platoon, the giant LEGO-style instruction book for the DS, "Why're you choking yourself?", "Wait, I want to see where this is heading," "Get him for this on Dagobah I will," a Vader "Noooooooooo!," Luke's lost hand, Employee of the Month, etc.). I wondered why they went to Naboo if it was supposed to be ESB, but there wasn't much to do with ESB's plot at all (which made it even funnier). Padme in the group of admirers chasing after DV was weird, then chasing "both" Darth Mauls.

I liked it.
    "May the 4th be with you?" "Why yes, thank you for asking."

It was much funnier than Family Guy's last(ROTJ) effort.
    "In my experience there's no such thing as luck."